Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

vs
Topic Author

Wireless Bridge Problems Revisited

Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:05 pm

OK, so I have struggled for a while now with the Linksys WET54G (ver2) bridge trying to get the HD1000 to see it. Every other device and computer on the network has no problem with it - even my SoundBridge. Wireless instructions from the Roku support site have been followed specifically.

Here is the overview:

- D-Link DI-614+ wireless router/AP (latest firmware, running in Open System authentication mode (since HD1000 does not support Shared Key mode). 64bit WEP enabled.

- HD1000 with latest firmware (always works when using Ethernet). Also works perfectly when using D-Link DWL-122 WiFi USB adaptor connecting via D-Link DI-614+.

- Linksys WET54G ver2 bridge (latest firmware, running in infrastructure mode with 64bit wep enabled).

The HD1000 never gets an IP from the DHCP server when connected via the WET54G. The WET54G has a static IP set to 192.168.1.226 and the Ethernet and Wireless-G indicators on the front panel are lit. I'm not using the Wireless setup option on the HD1000 as this is obviously ignored when connecting via Ethernet.

The WET54G is definitely on Roku's supported list, but I'm wondering if the WET54G ver2 bridge is any different? This model is sold in Australia (where I am) and Europe, I believe and has a later firmware revision (v2.11) than the regular WET54G.

Any ideas?

Jowi

Re: Wireless Bridge Problems Revisited

Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:14 am

Hi vs,

i have the same konfiguration like you, but only with netgear components. It works great and without any problems. The first setup was a little bit tricky, because i am using the MAC filter in my router and the MAC address of the HD1000 was not administered. Do you use the MAC filter? If yes, try to disable.

Joachim

vs
Topic Author

Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:49 pm

Joachim,

Yes, I have tried enabling and disabling MAC filtering. I'm going to do some more experimenting over the weekend with a different router and see if results change.

Stay tuned.

Jowi

Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:11 am

vs,

is the mac filtering only for WLAN or also for LAN? Try to disable the mac filtering and pluy the HD1000 directly into the Router. If the HD1000 get´s no ip address from the DHCP server you have no problem with your bridge. try it step for step. If it gets an ip address plug it back into your brigde an look whether its now reachable.

greets

Joachim

allyn

Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:07 pm

i've had my roku talking over a linksys wet11 and wet54gs5 without problems.

are you sure the bridge is talking to the access point correctly? make sure you can reach the bridge's web server over the wireless network.

vs
Topic Author

Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:45 pm

I can definitely reach the bridge's config page over the wireless network. No problem there at all.

As I mentioned, the WET54G works perfectly on ALL devices except the HD1000. I tried another wireless AP over the weekend and got the same results - the bridge works fine except on the HD1000.

I really am starting to think it's an issue with this version of the WET54G (ver2). MAC filtering does not help nor does a differnet AP, access mode, etc.

Might just give up on this until Roku releases the new firmware update. Perhaps that might help.....

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:50 pm

The bridge should be transparent to the Roku. As far as it's concerned, it should think it's just being plugged into a wired network. Have you done anything with the wireless settings in the Roku? Maybe it's gotten confused...

TheEndless

vs
Topic Author

Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:00 pm

TheEndless,

I agree, it should be totally transparent. Wireless settings on HD1000 setup menu should not come into the equation as this is only for USB based WiFi adaptors. Correct me if I'm wrong here....

The HD1000 should show an IP address in the setup menu with the bridge connected? It always does with an Ethernet connection or USB WiFi adaptor, but never with the WET54G.

Just to recap, the Linksys bridge is set to a static IP of 192.168.1.226 (obviously within the range of my network). Set to Open System authentication, Infrastructure mode and 64bit WEP enabled. I'm pretty sure I've tried every combination of settings!!

John

TheEndless

Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:28 pm

vs wrote:
I agree, it should be totally transparent. Wireless settings on HD1000 setup menu should not come into the equation as this is only for USB based WiFi adaptors. Correct me if I'm wrong here....

No, that's exactly what I was getting at. Wasn't sure if you have messed with the wireless settings, potentially causing an issue.

Is it possible that it's getting an IP address and just not displaying it on screen? Does the router have an admin screen that shows issued IPs? You could also try a network scanner (like http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/) to see if the Roku is there. If I'm just babbling about stuff you've already tried, feel free to ignore me, but I seem to remember before I assigned a static IP to my Roku, at least one occassion when the IP was not updated in the UI when it did indeed have an IP address.

TheEndless

jws

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:36 pm

I connect a server to a DI-614+ using a DWL-2100AP - I set the 2100AP under Advanced > Mode - to AP Client - entering the mac address of the DI-614+ - it works flawlessly and all of the setting (such as obtain up automatically and obtain dns automatically) are controlled by the computer (or in your case the ROKU device), the access point just sits there with its fixed ip.

I think you do not want to use "Bridge" but rather "Access Point" Then allow the Roku device to obtain ip automatically and if setting gateway (should not be required) then set it to the DI-614+ ip address.

vs
Topic Author

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys - still no luck however.

I have ordered a 2100AP - we'll see how that goes.

I'll post my results soon when I get around to it (rather busy at present).

John

TheEndless

Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:06 pm

vs wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys - still no luck however.

I have ordered a 2100AP - we'll see how that goes.

I'll post my results soon when I get around to it (rather busy at present).

John

As I recall, in order to get it to work with an access point in client mode, you'll need to use a crossover cable if you plan to plug the access point directly into the Roku, as a standard patch cable will not work.

TheEndless