Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jbprincipato
Topic Author

Streaming protected audio files

Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:39 pm

I just got an Hd1000 and have been scanning the forum posts for all the features and funtions available on the HD1000. So far I have upgraded the O/S to 2.0.34, installed mplay, rokuslim, and the slimserver. I have been please at all the technical help available.

I would like to stream playlists from my Yahoo music account to the HD1000 but when the Rokuslim sees the files on the slimserver they are listed as protected. I installed the Microsoft Wma software and it appeared to license the HD1000 based on the mac address but I still get the same error. Any suggestions? I am new to the whole multimedia environment and Unix so please keep it simple.

Thanks

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Streaming protected audio files

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:33 am

jbprincipato wrote:
I just got an Hd1000 and have been scanning the forum posts for all the features and funtions available on the HD1000. So far I have upgraded the O/S to 2.0.34, installed mplay, rokuslim, and the slimserver. I have been please at all the technical help available.

I would like to stream playlists from my Yahoo music account to the HD1000 but when the Rokuslim sees the files on the slimserver they are listed as protected. I installed the Microsoft Wma software and it appeared to license the HD1000 based on the mac address but I still get the same error. Any suggestions? I am new to the whole multimedia environment and Unix so please keep it simple.

Thanks

If the files are DRM encoded (which I believe Yahoo! music downloads are), SlimServer cannot stream them. I'm afraid there's no way that I'm aware of to get them to play through SlimRoku. You may, however, be able to play them via Sonata/Listen if you use Window Media Connect UPnP server.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

jbprincipato
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:13 pm

TheEndless wrote:
If the files are DRM encoded (which I believe Yahoo! music downloads are), SlimServer cannot stream them. I'm afraid there's no way that I'm aware of to get them to play through SlimRoku. You may, however, be able to play them via Sonata/Listen if you use Window Media Connect UPnP server.

TheEndless

Thanks for the information. Are there some links that you know of that I can browse to read up on the WMC UPnP server and Sonata/Listen or other products that can accomplish the same thing?

Thanks again

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:15 pm

jbprincipato wrote:
TheEndless wrote:

TheEndless

Thanks for the information. Are there some links that you know of that I can browse to read up on the WMC UPnP server and Sonata/Listen or other products that can accomplish the same thing?

Thanks again

Sonata/Listen is the built-in music player on the Roku.

You can get info on WMC here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... fault.aspx

Once installed and running, the server should automatically show up on the Roku along with your shares on the left of the main UI. Select it and browse to the protected songs to play them.

I believe you'll also need to install soiaf's WMA codec... available here: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4336

No promises that this will work, but it's the only option I can think of to try.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Wulgaru

Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:02 am

You could try a program like www.tunebite.com to convert your WMA files into MP3, OGG, etc.

alexwinsberg

Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:44 pm

I am really curious to know if the WMA work around does the trick. Please post and let us know.

Wulgaru

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:35 am

Just used TuneBite the other night for about 60 WMA files. This is one of the best programs I have ever used (comparing actual working with advertised promises). I can't hear any difference between the MP3 files it produced and the originals. Plust it did it all at 4x speed in batch mode, so my total involvement with the process was something like 10 minutes. Then, it just ran on its own for an hour or two.

jbprincipato
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:48 pm

alexwinsberg wrote:
I am really curious to know if the WMA work around does the trick. Please post and let us know.

I tried to get it to work but no luck! I installed the WMC and it appeared to authenicate the roku mac address. I installed the wma codex as suggested. No luck streaming the files. Still looking for the best alternative. Thanks for the suggestions I will keep looking.

mebby

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:14 am

I've tried all the above options to (plus a few more) and have never been able to get the HD1000 to stream DRM Protected Content.

I've noticed that when WMC authenticates the device it does list it as NOT being able to play protected content.

So I've just concluded that I'll use my SoundBridge for music and my PhotoBridge for video.
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers
M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers
HD1000 wired

alexwinsberg

Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:32 pm

So, let me make sure I understand...via the Soundbridge you can stream music that is DRM protected, such as that you have downloaded from Yahoo Unlimited music, from the computer to the stereo, correct? Can you also stream music that is simply "playing" on the YUM Engine but that is not downloaded to your computer seperately?