Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

larrygb
Topic Author

READ ME - Important User Information about burn-in

Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:24 am

I bought the HD1000 to help prevent plasma burn-in and am using the video pass-though. But I guess I'm either too dense or too new to HDTV, because Roku's READ ME Screen Burn-in Warning "...you should test your settings and make sure there are no issues before leaving your HD1000 on and unattended for long periods of time." has me confused. What settings? What issues?

RokuPatrick

Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:59 am

Larry, I didn't write that readme, but basically I think we're saying you need to personally verify that whatever settings you choose to make sure the screensaver activates as you expect.

There's only so much we can do. If you plasma is set to "torch mode" (very high contrast and brightness) and you leave it on CNBC all day, there's not much we can do for the image retention of the channel bug. If you turn off the screen saver on the HD1000, there's not much we can do. If you set up the HD1000 to show a slideshow of 50 nearly-identical photos, well, there's not much we can do.

mullie

Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:40 pm

My Roku apparently locked up while in screen saver mode, leaving three "Roku" marks on our $10,000 monitor, so maybe that's why they say that.

chrisloker

Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:18 am

My Roku locks up all the time in Screensaver mode as well.

Allan

Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:55 am

mullie,

Sorry to hear about your monitor, it truly is a shame. Could you provide details on what you or Roku Tech Support determined was the problem? Was it a matter of not having a CF swapfile, defective hardware, server-side interference, or a bug in the software? I wonder if Roku's disclaimer is not broad enough, thus leaving customers open to the same result. I imagine a lot of people are relying on the ss to work properly, being that the HD1000 is advertised as a tool to prevent burn-in.

Quick notes: I have not had my screensaver lock-up - I use CF swapfile - my pass-through does not always work unless I toggle the Roku power button manually.

Allan

Zanoryt

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:43 am

My screensaver locks up all the time as well. I'm using a CF swap file as well.

Come on Roku, time to release beta updates like you do for SoundBridge users ;)