Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Wulgaru
Topic Author

Loosing shares

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:52 pm

I recently wrote a script that contained code suggested by CaminoFrancisco to mount shares as shown below:

"# Create Mount Points
mkdir /mnt/smb/shydemon

# Mount Servers
smbmount //shydemon/DVDs /mnt/smb/shydemon -o username=yourusername,password=yourpassword"

My script runs at boot time from my CF card while also enabling the swap file and switching the card to read/write. I am mounting 3 shares in the script and I mounted two more via the GUI because they wouldn't work from the script for some reason. The problem I am running into is that the Roku loses the three shares mounted by the script after a period of time. The two that were mounted through the GUI are fine. All machines involved are using static IP addresses (including the Roku). Are there other options I need to specify in the script? Perhaps it is because I have more than four shares? I am running the latest Roku OS and a swap file on a revision A unit. If at all possible, I would like to be able to mount 5 shares. That plus giving the shares friendly names was the original point of writing the script.

Thanks

dgburns

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 pm

I haven't looked, does the RokuOS have cron ability? So you could put your smbremount script in cron.hourly?
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

jor

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:39 pm

how much memory do you have left after mounting 5 shares?

the gui limitation of 4 wasn't just for looks - the Rev A doesn't have a lot of ram to spare and each share consumes a good amount - was it 700k each?

cron is an available option, but might be better to focus on why it drops the shares. If you only mount 3, do they stay up overnight? Or for just one?

Wulgaru
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:27 am

I'll try removing one and see what happens. The thing that is strange is that the shares added through the GUI are always fine. They never drop. To me, that seems to indicate that they are mounted differently. On top of that, those two particular shares got all sorts of crazy errors when mounted through the script even when there were less than 5 shares. By crazy errors, I mean movies that wouldn't play or would only play half way while others worked just fine. Very strange.

CaminoFrancisco

Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:17 am

Wulgaru wrote:
I'll try removing one and see what happens. The thing that is strange is that the shares added through the GUI are always fine. They never drop. To me, that seems to indicate that they are mounted differently. On top of that, those two particular shares got all sorts of crazy errors when mounted through the script even when there were less than 5 shares. By crazy errors, I mean movies that wouldn't play or would only play half way while others worked just fine. Very strange.

Just curious, what router are you using? I had very good success using an old Linksys router, but when I "upgraded" to the D-Link 624 I had the same problems you are describing here. Needless to say, I switched back now all is fine again.
Camino
HD1000 Rev "B"

tjdebon

Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:04 pm

i have also had problems with the DLink router. I had to switch to a DLink bridge on the Roku to solve it -- but then I also had problems with a Toshiba and a few friends other brands) laptops keeping a consistent wireless connection. Since both the router and the laptop used Atheros chips I was really disturbed about the incompatiblity. I finally traced that problem to "short preamble" setting buried somwhere in the router settings. When i changed to "long preamble" the laptop connections all worked. I suggest you try the same -- switch the router to "long preamble" if there is such an option.

Wulgaru
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:50 am

I have it hard-wired to a Linksys WRT54G. I don't have any problems with shares that I set up through the Roku UI, so they have to be doing something different than in the script I wrote. I'm not sure how else it can be explained. As a solution, I just switched back to 4 shares created via the UI. Then, I added the creation of a unmount/mount of a 5th share in my MPlay.roku script since I only run the program to play HD content off a single drive. This seems to work because the share is dropped and then created every time I run the script.