Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dj7675
Topic Author

UPnP Setup Help with Video

Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:54 am

Hoping to hear from someone from Roku regarding UPnP. I have tried 2 UPnP servers-the built in one on my Infrant X6 NAS, and the new Twonkyvision add on for the Infrant X6 NAS. With some small amount of testing it seems that everying such as music, photos, etc but I am having an issue with UPnP video.

1-Built in UPnP on X6-Roku recoginizes X6 as a UPNP device and all media shows up just fine-including video .ts files. They also show the .ts fideo files with the "movie" icon. But when I attempt to play them it does not play.

2-Twonkyvision on X6-The twonkyvision server admin screen shows all media files, including the .ts video files. Music and pictures work fine, but when I browse to a folder with video, it says error, unable to browse or something to that effect.

Any help with video for UPnP would be greatly appreciated And also any comment regarding any furutre UPnP development.
UPnP really is a nice way to access all of your media that takes no setup, etc.

Thanks

Darin

dj7675
Topic Author

Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:31 pm

Just received a reply from Infrant. According to them, it is just delivering the file via http. If the Roku can see the file but not play it , the problem is with the roku upnp. Any ideas on why the built in player could not play the file? See below for response.

""Ah, this would likely be a Roku problem. All the NAS does is send the file over HTTP. So if the file shows up in the list, it should play fine so long as the player supports it. I'm still trying to find a .ts file to test with.""

dj7675
Topic Author

Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:21 am

For those interested in UPnP for video, it is now working with the built in player with the x6 built in UPnP server. I am using the p8 firmware on the x6. Seems to work really well. Now if I could just use MPlay instead of the built in player....possible?

Darin

r111

Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:37 am

My previous attempts to use UPNP on the HD1K have been consistently disapointing and concluded that the HD1K UPNP support is incomplete and too buggy to bother with. I have a X6 and will have to try it again.