I read much of the forum before deciding on the PB for my new system. Having an extensible platform, and people who are willing to devote some time to app development was a HUGE factor for me.
Thanks to all of you who have written apps to breathe life into this box of potential. Itâ€™s a mystery to me why Roku hasnâ€™t done more with this box. From what Iâ€™ve seen, itâ€™s the only game in town to deliver everything youâ€™ve been able to implement thus far, and everything Iâ€™m sure youâ€™ve got in the hopper for the future. My hatâ€™s definitely off to you all! Thank you all so much for your efforts, and your willingness to help us stabilize and extend our PBs, and your apps running on them.
After reading lots of postings, I get the impression that much of whatâ€™s been implemented for SoundBridge either has or will(??) apply to the PB. Any thoughts or insights on this? Do you think thereâ€™s a chance that PB will see some further Roku-side development once SB has reached some point of critical mass?
Iâ€™m anxious to figure out the best way to stabilize my installation. Right now I feel like Iâ€™m fighting more and enjoying it less, but Iâ€™m guessing I may have caused some of my problems with some of my equipment choices. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
While Iâ€™m fairly competent with PC/Windows networking, LINUX is a completely new animal for me. And now Iâ€™ve got not one, but two of these beasts to consider.
Guess I'm leaping, and hoping the net will appear!
- HD1000 Rev B running 18.104.22.168
- Dynamic IP (but appears to come up with the same IP each time I reboot)
- Hardwired Ethernet 100M connection
- D-LINK DGL-4100 Gigabit Gaming Router
- NSLU2 (out of the box) with 2 Western Digital USB drives attached (250 & 300G - both NTFS) (static IP on this).
Started off with D-Link DSM-G600 which seemed to work a little better, but was WAY too noisy for our home office.
- All MP3 and a few WAV files stored on WD drives
- Some video mpgs on WD drive
- Currently using SD Ultra 512M CF
- Network shares seem to come and go on the PB, for no apparent reason. Sometimes they show up on reboot, sometimes not. Sometimes when I try to access them through the remote, they disappear. Sometimes theyâ€™ll work fine. Other times theyâ€™ll disappear after Iâ€™ve hit the drive.
- When network shares are there, canâ€™t always find the files/apps on them.
- PB seems to â€˜hangâ€™ on a regular (but inconsistent) basis. Canâ€™t pinpoint a specific reason that itâ€™s hanging. Just seems to lock up sometimes.
- PB seems more stable overall when I enable a 64M swap file on CF card, even though posts seem to indicate that I shouldnâ€™t really need to use one on a Rev B box.
- If screensaver kicks in before starting an app, canâ€™t get out of screensaver. Have to reload the OS to â€˜recoverâ€™. Some apps wonâ€™t let me get out of screensaver either.
seems to be the exception here, having never failed to let me get back from the screensaver successfully.
runs great from CF
runs great from CF
works intermittently (share problem?) but wonâ€™t get back from screensaver. Iâ€™ve had the video disappear completely but Sonica keeps going through the library with no problem.
- Jukebox will sometimes complete a scan and let me play music, and other times will not. Itâ€™s been pretty inconsistent so far.
- Mplay & Mplay DVD
â€“ have been able to run mpg files shot with digital camera pretty consistently, but havenâ€™t really done too much here yet. So far, so good.
- In spite of my apparent frustration level, Iâ€™m overwhelmed by the prospect of getting this thing to a point where it is stable and predictable. I canâ€™t believe all the great stuff youâ€™re wringing out of one device! Itâ€™s AWESOME!
- What basics should I get out of the way first?
- Should I go back to 22.214.171.124? What (if anything) would I be giving up?
- Best way to stabilize/access network shares?
- Once the drives/shares are stabilized, would there be anything else preventing the existing files and apps being found?
- To swap file or not to swap file?? Rev B unit, but seems to work better with CF-based 64M swap file.
....- Is â€˜unslungâ€™ the way to go here? Any particular version? Some other solution?
....- Is it worth implementing the hack to restore the full clock speed?
...... Any risk that my WD USB Drives wonâ€™t be accessible afterwards?
- Audio Applications
.... - Sonica
works sometimes, but not consistently. So far, this seems to be the best overall, and I like the interface. Would be nice to be able to let it running on exit to run slideshow.
.... - Havenâ€™t tried SlimServer
yet. Would rather not rely on a server but Iâ€™ll consider anything that will work well consistently.
...... â€“ Any recommendations getting started here? A stable version perhaps?
.... - HexRadio
â€“ Awesome, and I can always get back to the app from the screensaver
If you've read this far, thank you thank you thank you for any help you're able to provide. This newbie stands in your debt.