Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DaMutha
Topic Author

Laptop Cooler for Photobridge?

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:52 am

I recently moved my HD1000 into a wood, glass-front media cabinet, and not surprisingly (based on other posts) it's getting pretty hot in there. It's funny, I moved everything around (with much effort) because I originally thought it was my DVR cable box that was the main culprit, but the HD1000 is like a griddle. Anyway, I'm exploring cooling options (including the least desirable option, which is sticking the HD1000 on top of the cabinet), and I was wondering whether anyone is using or has considered using one of those laptop cooling pads underneath the Roku? Would it help? Are they loud? Appreciate any thoughts.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Laptop Cooler for Photobridge?

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:19 am

DaMutha wrote:
I recently moved my HD1000 into a wood, glass-front media cabinet, and not surprisingly (based on other posts) it's getting pretty hot in there. It's funny, I moved everything around (with much effort) because I originally thought it was my DVR cable box that was the main culprit, but the HD1000 is like a griddle. Anyway, I'm exploring cooling options (including the least desirable option, which is sticking the HD1000 on top of the cabinet), and I was wondering whether anyone is using or has considered using one of those laptop cooling pads underneath the Roku? Would it help? Are they loud? Appreciate any thoughts.

I don't know if that would work or not, since the HD1000 doesn't have any ventilation holes. I can say that they're not loud, though. I'm using a Targus one right now and can't even tell if it's on.

Hold on.. I'll plug it into the HD1000 to see if its USB will power it... Yup, works a treat. Might be worth a try...

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

tjdebon

Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:53 am

A laptop cooler, or even a refrigerator, won't magically eliminate the heat. It will simply move it somewhere else, plus add a bit of its own. You still need a way to get the heat out of the cabinet requiring ventilation holes and perhaps a fan, or a remote heat exchanger.

DaMutha
Topic Author

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:01 am

There are typical wire access slots in the back of the unit, and it is sitting a few inches off the wall, so there is at least some outlet for air (though obviously not ideal).

dgburns

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:35 pm

I think you're asking for trouble down the road. Either from the PB, or something else. In an enclosed cabinet such as you describe (even with cable holes as ventilation), passive cooling is likely not enough.

You can try the laptop cooler idea, but I think you'll just be creating problems somewhere else...
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2