Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

chackett
Topic Author

Mac OS X as NFS server

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:03 am

OK, I'm finally fed up with SMB streaming of HD video files; it works great at times, and then other times there's lots of audio dropouts, freezes, etc.

I'd like to make the switch to using my G4 (running 10.4.5) as an NFS server, but I just can't get it working with the Roku. I can export the hard drive containing my video files just fine (using NFS Manager). When I mount it on my mac, I can browse all of the files through the command line just fine. I'm able to mount the share on the Roku (it's listed by the mount command, and all of the parameters look OK), but when I try to ls the files in the mounted share, there's nothing there.

I suspect this is some sort of wierd permissions issue; I've followed all of the advice in the various threads here, but I just can't get it to work. Could one of the mac users who's gotten this working (there are several of you) please take the time to check their NFS server configuration on the mac and post their detailed settings (or send me a PM) so that I can make sure I haven't missed something?

Thanks!
Roku HD1000 Rev B
Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma
Artison Portrait LCR
Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR
Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V2500
Motorola DCT-6412
Home Theater Master MX-3000

chackett
Topic Author

Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:46 pm

Well, I'm having quite a day. Turns out NFS has been working for quite some time now; I just didn't realize it.

As before, I can mount my exported filesystems on the PB, but when I cd into the mounted directory I can't see any files. I'd taken that as an indication that something wasn't right (with permissions or something). But I noticed browsing through the unofficial FAQ thread that if the NFS shares were mounted in the /tmp/Volumes directory that MPlay would see them in the file browser. I tried mounting at this point instead of the /mnt/smb directory (where I had been working before). The shares do indeed show up in the MPlay browser, and so do all of the files; in fact, I can play them fine through MPlay.

Does it make any sense that I wouldn't be able to access the NFS shares through the command line, but I would be able to through MPlay?
Roku HD1000 Rev B

Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma

Artison Portrait LCR

Polk 60ti L, R, LR, RR

Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer

Yamaha RX-V2500

Motorola DCT-6412

Home Theater Master MX-3000