Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Glyn
Topic Author

New PB1000 Rev B. issues

Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:17 am

My new Revision B PhotoBridge HD Gallery Collection arrived yesterday and the design & build of the box is so much better than my Pinnacle ShowCenter so my expectations were high. :D

Also no software to install on the PC - result! :lol:

So what went wrong? :o

All I want to do is stream my media from my PC network to another room where my AV setup resides. The Pinnacle SC made a pigs ear of this and in some respects so does the PB1000 - both units show so much promise but fall at the last hurdle - in this modern day & age of high-tech can it really be so difficult to manufacture one of these units that actually works as promised?

To start with the PB1000 v 1.5.18 using its own built-in and CF Card worked very well - excellent quality!

However only a couple of network shares showed up and it could not display any of the files - also the display of shares seemed sporadic to say the least - sometimes they were there sometimes they weren't.

I upgraded to v 2.0.34 via a freshly formatted CF Card which seemed to go well.

I noticed a different menu layout and when running through the settings I noticed a software update button which when activated effortlessly downloaded 2.0.36 from the Internet - wonderful.

At this stage I was convinced the PB1K was a winner.

Following the s/w upgrade as before I done a factory reset from the Information menu and then reset the box from the front panel for good measure.

This time loads of shares showed up but although the user/pass was good I was told I did not have read access??? :shock:

I use an NT4 Server to provide authentication to my main workstation, laptop, 2 different TabletPC's and a Quantum SnapServer where all my media lives.

The SnapServer was set for Full Access to Everyone but that was still not good enough so I setup an access group on the PB1K that now gave me access to my media.

However whenever I tried to play anything from the Gallery CF Card that worked perfectly before, more problems arose. :(

I was unable to pause or skip any of the pictures that I was able to do before. In fact I could not return to the menu by pressing exit or menu. If I turned the unit off via the remote it took a while before it would respond but on turning it back on it was still displaying the pictures... :?

On some occasions the broken CF card symbol appeared and there was corruption of the media on it and sometimes slight corruption of the menus. A power off reset, factory default of button reset did not cure it.

Obviously a CF Card issue methinks....

In the box there was the Gallery media pack of CD's shrinkwrapped together so I felt safe in reformatting the CF Card and reloading on from CD.

More woes - when I cut the shrinkwrap from the bundled CD's neither the Space nor Holiday CD's were included although they were on the CF Card originally! :x

I still have an intermittent issue where the pause/skip does not work and although the WorldClock, Analog Clock & BusyRobots show up on the menu they do not run either. [I have since noticed however that after displaying about half-a-dozen pictures or so full functionality appears to return to the handset - still no WorldClock, Analog Clock or BusyRobots though...]

As iTunes seems so dominant it also seems strange that there seems no built-in support for the playlists it produces although I did see there now appears to be AAC support in the latest s/ware but I am guessing that due to Apples shortsighted decision to restrict licensing anything I have purchased and legally downloaded from iTunes will still refuse to play?

Some of the pictures I have on my PC appear 'stretched' on the PB1K display despite the setting I choose - is there a way to correct this?

Although nowhere near as awful as the Pinnacle SC the operation of the remote sometimes defies logic and forces you to go the 'long way round' - for example when you reach the end of a line and want to continue to the beginning of the next you cannot simply press 'right' but have to press 'down' and then 'left' multiple times until you have reached the beginning of the line.
Also sometimes - depending upon which menu is being displayed - at the bottom of a selection list you are unable to press down and 'automagically' appear at the top of the list and vice-versa.

Also I am unable to set the correct time zone (GMT UK) as there are only US specific zones displayed although I purchased my PB1K directly from Roku UK. [I have since 'downgraded' to 2.0.34 following reported issues with 2.0.36 and notice that there are many other time zones now being displayed that I never noticed before.]

The mains lead is also non-UK and therefore it could not be used straight from the box...

As I stated above the PB1K is a much better build & design but what do I miss about the Pinnacle SC?
Compatability with a wider range of picture formats such as .bmp & conversion of .png & .gif
Compatability with a wider range of audio formats such as .ogg & conversion of .wma and DRM WMA
Compatability with a wider range of video formats such as mpeg-1, mpeg-4 AVI, VOB, XvID & conversion of .wmv & DV
Internet Radio
Fast forward & rewind of video (clunky but a feature never the less)
Front mounted USB port for flash drives etc.

I don't miss the total lack of support from Pinnacle but then again after reading these forums it appears that Roku have deserted the PB1K leaving me in a similar position to that with the SC... :evil:

Am I alone in wondering if the time & effort expended in trying to do the simple task of playing/streaming media from my PC to another room via one of these 'boxes' is worth it?

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: New PB1000 Rev B. issues

Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:38 am

Glyn wrote:
I still have an intermittent issue where the pause/skip does not work and although the WorldClock, Analog Clock & BusyRobots show up on the menu they do not run either. [I have since noticed however that after displaying about half-a-dozen pictures or so full functionality appears to return to the handset - still no WorldClock, Analog Clock or BusyRobots though...]

Several of the art packs require updates to work with the new firmware. You can find an update for the clocks here: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3468

Glyn wrote:
As iTunes seems so dominant it also seems strange that there seems no built-in support for the playlists it produces although I did see there now appears to be AAC support in the latest s/ware but I am guessing that due to Apples shortsighted decision to restrict licensing anything I have purchased and legally downloaded from iTunes will still refuse to play?

There is a third party apple lossles codec by soiaf that may play your iTunes tracks, but I'm not sure: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2548

Glyn wrote:
Some of the pictures I have on my PC appear 'stretched' on the PB1K display despite the setting I choose - is there a way to correct this?

This post might help: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopi ... 0160#20160

Glyn wrote:
As I stated above the PB1K is a much better build & design but what do I miss about the Pinnacle SC?
Compatability with a wider range of picture formats such as .bmp & conversion of .png & .gif

PNGs are supported, just not in the image viewer.. not of much use to you, but still :P
Glyn wrote:
Compatability with a wider range of audio formats such as .ogg & conversion of .wma and DRM WMA

The 2.0 firmware has a codec plugin model that makes many of these possible. Soiaf in particular has written many codecs for the PhotoBridge. Do a search for "codec" in the third party forum...

Glyn wrote:
Compatability with a wider range of video formats such as mpeg-1, mpeg-4 AVI, VOB, XvID & conversion of .wmv & DV

MPEG-1 and VOBs are both supported, as well as some DV (dependent on how it's encoded). The rest require some sort of transcoding, whether it be real time streaming from a server or manual transcoding with VLC or some other application.

Glyn wrote:
Internet Radio

Again, take a look in the third party forum. HexRadio (http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1335) and/or SlimRoku (see my signature) both provide Internet Radio features.

Glyn wrote:
Fast forward & rewind of video (clunky but a feature never the less)

MPlay (another third party application, see my signature) provides this and many other features for you.

Glyn wrote:
I don't miss the total lack of support from Pinnacle but then again after reading these forums it appears that Roku have deserted the PB1K leaving me in a similar position to that with the SC...:evil:

While Roku is definitely lacking in the PhotoBridge support department, you'll find that the users on this forum are often more than happy to help with any issues you have.

Glyn wrote:
Am I alone in wondering if the time & effort expended in trying to do the simple task of playing/streaming media from my PC to another room via one of these 'boxes' is worth it?

You're certainly not alone, but I think you'll find, with a little effort and the addition of the third party apps mentioned above, you'll be quite happy with your purchase!

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

soiaf

Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:10 pm

Glyn wrote:
although I did see there now appears to be AAC support in the latest s/ware but I am guessing that due to Apples shortsighted decision to restrict licensing anything I have purchased and legally downloaded from iTunes will still refuse to play?

Yes unfortunately theres no way to play files downloaded from iTunes on the PhotoBridge.

Glyn wrote:

Theres a codec for Ogg Vorbis and for WMA, but DRM WMA is not supported.

Glyn
Topic Author

Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:42 am

Well I have tried 4 times to try to format a reply with quotes as neat as yours & soiaf's to no avail so this will have to do! :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to reply - if it wasn't for guys like you I would have sent the box back by now... :shock:

ArtPacks: I did see the update while trawling through the Roku website but didn't twig that I needed it - thanks for the heads-up - now working almost as expected. I have written to ask how on earth I can obtain the Space & Holiday ArtPack CD's that were not included on CD but were on the CF card...so far no response... :cry:

When I select ArtPack preferences in setup however it can only see Classics, Aquarium & Nature - it does not see WorldClock, Analog Clock or Robots...not sure if Space & Holidays will be shown - can't try until I receive them - does any kind soul know where I can obtain them in the event of Roku's non-response please?

Also I still have the problem whereby the remote is not able to operate until 5 pictures have been displayed or in the case of the Aquarium the first loop point has passed...go figure. This seemed to work on the 1.5.18 software that shipped with the box though...

iTunes: I tried the TunesPlayer v0.3 but it just loaded the screen for a few seconds, opened a blank title bar then dropped me back to the Roku GUI - does this work with 2.0.3.4?

Stretched pictures: 720p fixed it for me - thanks! :D

I have noticed however that some of the thumbnails displayed via the menu appear 'short & fat' despite the pictures thenselves displaying properly.

HexRadio works well although it would be nice to see this updated - hint to Derek Taubert :wink:

Have not tried the SlimRoku stuff yet but MPlay...WOW - Awesome! Thanks :shock:

Is there an 'undocumented feature' hidden within MPlay?

The reason I ask is if I browse files using MPlay any photographs I took with my Canon 10D in RAW show up as thumbnails beside the filename and when the file is selected a preview is displayed at the bottom left of the display in place of the MPlay logo.

This only works for the 10D .CRW files - the thumbnails & preview are not displayed with .CR2 RAW files from the Canon 20D or Canon 5D ...

If the file is chosen it cannot be displayed and the error 'FIle open failed' is displayed.

Is this a fluke or could MPlay be reading the thumb/preview from somewhere else?

What a feature that would be for me - a program capable of displaying all of my RAW camera pictures...

WeatherSix? Also brilliant...

As I mentioned above without Third Party support I would have sent the box back - I mean come on Roku - Beta software out for a year??

I have tried 2.0.3.6 twice and both times have had issues that forced me back to 2.0.3.4

Would it be impossible to give the PB the same audio capabilities as the SoundBridge?

Thanks to both yourself and soiaf for taking the time to reply and to all you 3rd party developers for doing your stuff...I'm off to hit the PayPal button to offer my support for your efforts...thanks again.

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:08 pm

Glyn wrote:
Well I have tried 4 times to try to format a reply with quotes as neat as yours & soiaf's to no avail so this will have to do! :lol:

Just use the "Quote" button at the top of the reply editor. Or, alternatively, use the "Quote" link at the bottom of the message you want to quote.

Glyn wrote:
iTunes: I tried the TunesPlayer v0.3 but it just loaded the screen for a few seconds, opened a blank title bar then dropped me back to the Roku GUI - does this work with 2.0.3.4?

I don't think TunesPlayer has been updated in a long time. SlimServer can read your iTunes data, though, if you're interested in using SlimRoku.

Glyn wrote:
I have noticed however that some of the thumbnails displayed via the menu appear 'short & fat' despite the pictures thenselves displaying properly.

The UI uses a different process to render the thumbnail than the actual picture viewer, so it's certainly possible that they'll be displayed differently there. The graphics plane on the Roku (as opposed to the video plane) is a static 1024x576 (16:9) resolution. If you're viewing it on a 4:3 display, then the UI will be squashed left to right. Any chance that's what you're seeing?

Glyn wrote:
Have not tried the SlimRoku stuff yet but MPlay...WOW - Awesome! Thanks :shock:

Is there an 'undocumented feature' hidden within MPlay?

The reason I ask is if I browse files using MPlay any photographs I took with my Canon 10D in RAW show up as thumbnails beside the filename and when the file is selected a preview is displayed at the bottom left of the display in place of the MPlay logo.

This only works for the 10D .CRW files - the thumbnails & preview are not displayed with .CR2 RAW files from the Canon 20D or Canon 5D ...

If the file is chosen it cannot be displayed and the error 'FIle open failed' is displayed.

Is this a fluke or could MPlay be reading the thumb/preview from somewhere else?

This is actually just a side effect of how the cover art portion of the file browser works. If a file has an associated jpeg or is a jpeg itself, it will be rendered in the file browser. Rather than filter the file list by extension, we display all files in the browser and rely on the user to select the correct one. If, once opened, we determine that it's not a valid video file, we display the "File open failed" message.

Glyn wrote:
Would it be impossible to give the PB the same audio capabilities as the SoundBridge?

What features specifically are you referring to? The SoundBridge uses UPnP and relies on the server to do most of the work. UPnP support is new to the PhotoBridge as of the 2.0 beta, so it's entirely possible that the functionality will be expanded if/when the Roku guys get back to work on it.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

jor

Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:00 pm

i suspect he's asking about the itunes functionality, which Roku has stated is not in the cards for the PB over licensing issues.