Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Burkhardi
Topic Author

I need 480i from s-video out when set to 720P on component

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:56 pm

I thought that I could get normal 480i from the PB out of the s-video jack, regaurdless of what the component or HD15 is set to?

On my STB, when the component out is set to HD, the composite (yellow)still outputs 480i. I assumed that the s-video does the same on the STB too.

Anyway, the PB doesn't seem to work that way as i found out over the weekend when I could not hook a normal TV to it to access the GUI to change the settings.

So does the s-video change from 480i, or was it the fact that I had the PB set to 720P, so the s-video was outputting 480P which a noraml TV can't read?
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: I need 480i from s-video out when set to 720P on compone

Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:29 pm

Burkhardi wrote:
I thought that I could get normal 480i from the PB out of the s-video jack, regaurdless of what the component or HD15 is set to?

On my STB, when the component out is set to HD, the composite (yellow)still outputs 480i. I assumed that the s-video does the same on the STB too.

Anyway, the PB doesn't seem to work that way as i found out over the weekend when I could not hook a normal TV to it to access the GUI to change the settings.

So does the s-video change from 480i, or was it the fact that I had the PB set to 720P, so the s-video was outputting 480P which a noraml TV can't read?

If I'm not mistaken, the PhotoBridge only supports video output on one connection at a time.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

dgburns

Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:44 pm

The manual says:
"Only one type of connector may be connected at a time, or image quality
will be adversely affected."

One could ASSUME that because S-Video (mode 2) is a output configuration than is Component 720p (mode 5), perhaps S-Video is disabled when the higher resolutions are selected.

Follow the instructions in the manual to put your PB back into setup mode and step to mode 2 if you want S-Video output.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

Burkhardi
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:45 am

dgburns wrote:
The manual says:
"Only one type of connector may be connected at a time, or image quality
will be adversely affected."

One could ASSUME that because S-Video (mode 2) is a output configuration than is Component 720p (mode 5), perhaps S-Video is disabled when the higher resolutions are selected.

Follow the instructions in the manual to put your PB back into setup mode and step to mode 2 if you want S-Video output.

I was able to get the unreadable output out of all the PB outputs. I have it on the mode that outputs 720P and it seems that all the outputs are in parallel or something. I guess it would cost more money to add the extra DAC's to downscale to 480i via the s-video any format that was selected.

long story short, I have a noraml TV in the kitchen and ran AV cables to it from the living room so it could monitor what was going on. So I ran a composite signal from the HD STB to the kitchen so when I watch HD TV in the living room, I could also see it on the kitchen w/o the horrid delay that SD and HD have. I know the STB can downcovert while upconverting (720P out of the component, while 480i out of the composite). I think my Dennon DVD can, but it looks like the PB can't. So I'll just run the PB's audio into the kitchen then.

Which leads to my next post. If I use the S/Pdif out on the PB to go to my reciever, will the PB still output analog audio on the red and white plugs?

Also, are there any times that the S/Pdif out will not work?

thanks for the help, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

bpwwer

Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:24 am

Burkhardi wrote:
Which leads to my next post. If I use the S/Pdif out on the PB to go to my reciever, will the PB still output analog audio on the red and white plugs?

Also, are there any times that the S/Pdif out will not work?

thanks for the help, Matt

Try it and let us know. In the SDK, when opening an audo device, one of the arguments can be analog/digital or both. For Sonica I set it to both so I think it should output to both but I never tried it.

Anything that is passing an encoded signal out the S/PDIF won't be able to output to the analog (or rather won't be listenable), like DTS.
-- Bob --
[url]http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYai/[/url]