Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

StevenT42
Topic Author

Stuck at Loading Roku OS ... please help!

Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:04 am

So I spend the $75 to get the dead power supply fixed, which means I am already in a bad mood.

I get the Roku back and rack it. No joy. Pretty pictures from the CF card are okay, but it won't recognize my shared drive. I futz with the firewall settings on my computer and see what happens. MPlay starts to recognize the share. Then it locks up.

I reboot. It goes to "Loading Roku OS" screen and hangs. I give up after waiting for a long time.

This morning, I decided to see if reloading the 2.0.36 software will help. I put the formatup.rok file on a CF card and reboot. I've been staring at the "Loading Roku OS" screen for over 45 minutes now. The green "busy" light is on. The green power light is steady.

Any ideas?

- Steve

bleair

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:57 pm

This is entirely a random guess, but....
A theory as to why it is hanging might be because you have your roku on a network with numerous network shares. I've read that each network share will eat up a fair amount of ram. If you have too many shares, then too much ram might be used up by roku and then it will run very slowly, or even hang.

So, can you boot your roku when there are no other devices on the network?

If you want to get hard core, you could attach a serial cable (not a null modem cable!) to the serial port of the roku. Run hyperterminal with settings of 9600 8 bits no 1 stop bit. (8 n 1). After the roku starts it's bootup you should be able to hit return a few times in the terminal window and you should see a prompt of "$" This is a login shell on the roku so you can give commands like

ifconfig
ls /

etc.

Good luck

p.s. When the roku boots from power off it actually sends mesages to the serial port at 115200 buad as it's hardware starts linux. This goes very quickly though and there isn't that much to see. Once the hardware comes up the serial port swtiches to 9600 and it starts booting linux.

jor

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:08 pm

mounted shared consume memory (700k) each. The existence of shares do not. Corporate networks would be a disaster.

StevenT42
Topic Author

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:15 pm

Thanks so much for the input. It looks like 2.0.36 somehow became corrupt, but I could not load it back in. I attempted reboots with the network cable disconnected, with 2.0.36 on a CF card, everything.

Someone PM'd me and suggested I load 2.0.34 from a CF card. That did the trick. Then I plugged back into the network, and I am back in business. I upgraded back to 2.0.36. Now I can try MPlay and see if I can serve HD video via EyeConnect.

Thanks again!
- Steve