Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

pg_rider
Topic Author

Is there a way to remove "Listen" icon from my GUI

Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:11 am

I only use Sonica for music so I'd like to get rid of the standard "Listen" icon from my main GUI, mainly so that there is more space for my 3rd party app icons. Currently they wrap onto another screen. Any ideas?
Last edited by pg_rider on Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Is there a way to remove the "Listen" icon fro

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:16 am

pg_rider wrote:
I only use Sonica for music so I'd like to get rid of the standard "Listen" icon from my main GUI, mainly so that there is more space for my 3rd party app icons. Currently they wrap onto another screen. Any ideas?

Only way I know of to do that would be to put your applications and your music on two different shares. I currently have Applications, Music, and Video as separate shares on my server, so when I select the Applications share in the Roku GUI, that's all I see.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

pg_rider
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:27 am

Yeah, thought about doing that but wanted to stick to one share to conserve memory. Not a big deal -- I can certainly live with it, unless there's a quick, simple way to remove it... :)

On a related note, if I had my music and apps in separate shares, when I select Sonica, will it still load music from the other share? I'm guessing it will huh?

andy

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:20 pm

pg_rider wrote:
I only use Sonica for music so I'd like to get rid of the standard "Listen" icon from my main GUI

The only idea I have that wasn't already mentioned is to hide the folder that has your music by putting a period at the start of the folder name. Listen is only shown if the PB sees music files on the share, and it usually ignores folders that begin with ".". Sonica shouldn't mind looking in a "hidden" folder, I would expect.

-Andy
Andy Oliver
LiveSpy: Watch Live Webcams:http://frequal.com/LiveSpy/roku/index.html
VncSix: Web Surfing+:http://frequal.com/roku/VncSix/index.html
SongInfo:http://frequal.com/roku/SongInfo/index.html

bpwwer

Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:17 am

Right on both counts. Sonica can find music on any share mounted to the Roku. You can specify starting location for it's scan by modifying the start script.

The only . files Sonica ignores are '.' and '..'
-- Bob --
[url]http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYai/[/url]

pg_rider
Topic Author

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:08 am

andy wrote:
The only idea I have that wasn't already mentioned is to hide the folder that has your music by putting a period at the start of the folder name. Listen is only shown if the PB sees music files on the share, and it usually ignores folders that begin with ".". Sonica shouldn't mind looking in a "hidden" folder, I would expect.

Ah, now THIS has promise. So my share is set up like this:

Media
Apps
Audio
Video
Pics

So all I need to do is rename the Audio folder to .Audio?

pg_rider
Topic Author

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:02 pm

Just tried changing my folder name from Audio to .Audio and I got an error saying "You must type a file name". Am I doing something wrong?

pg_rider
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:13 am

Anyone? :)

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:41 am

pg_rider wrote:
Just tried changing my folder name from Audio to .Audio and I got an error saying "You must type a file name". Am I doing something wrong?

Windows won't allow you to name a file or folder starting with a period. Probably best way to do it would be to telnet into the Roku and rename it there.
mv /mnt/smb/<computer>/<share>/Audio /mnt/smb/<computer>/<share>/.Audio

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

pg_rider
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:46 am

TheEndless wrote:
pg_rider wrote:

Windows won't allow you to name a file or folder starting with a period. Probably best way to do it would be to telnet into the Roku and rename it there.
mv /mnt/smb/<computer>/<share>/Audio /mnt/smb/<computer>/<share>/.Audio

TheEndless

Just tried that and it tells me "Unable to rename - Permission denied". flower!

soiaf

Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:30 pm

At the risk of asking a stupid question...
Are you sure you have write permissions for that share/directory?

I just tried the same command that TheEndless suggested and it worked fine for me.

pg_rider
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:35 pm

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I go to Run and do "telnet (my Roku IP)"; at the login prompt I type guest which then gives me a "$", where I type what Endless posted. Permissions are set correctly, but I still get Permission Denied... :(

soiaf

Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:36 pm

Try logging in as root

I tried the command as guest and it also failed for me, so root should work fine for you.

pg_rider
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:54 pm

soiaf wrote:
Try logging in as root

I tried the command as guest and it also failed for me, so root should work fine for you.

That worked -- thanks! But now that my folder is called .Audio Sonica can't see any audio files... :?:

soiaf

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:00 pm

pg_rider wrote:
That worked -- thanks! But now that my folder is called .Audio Sonica can't see any audio files... :?:

Just tried that myself (created directory with 2 folders in it, renamed one of the folders with a leading '.' and then tried a scan from sonica) and Sonica didn't see (find) the files within the folder with the leading '.'

Looks like you'll have to find another way. I'll have a look at this again when I've got some sleep :)