Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dj7675
Topic Author

Help organizing shares...

Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:19 am

I am needing some help organizing my shares into a more logical way to browse my video collection. I have a terrastation (1TB), an infrant x6 nas (1.2TB) and a 400 GB drive on an XP PC. I would like to have just one share to browse to on my Roku, with folders in it but can't figure out how to do it. My first attempt was to create a folder on the xp pc and put shortcuts to the different shares, but that did not work. This is probably a very simple things to do but I am stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darin

jor

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:53 am

not quite so simple. And if you do have one server host the other two, you double the network traffic to do so.

you would want to mount the other shares on one box - can't recall what the root access is like on terrastions - on linkstations/kuroboxes it's common to reflash the unit to get shell access.

dgburns

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:23 pm

Couldn't one create a mount-point in /tmp/Volumes, and then mount the 3 shares there? I don't think there's any seamless way to have the files from 3 disparate devices appear as one share unless as jor mentioned you create one share on one device and link the three shares into it (massively increasing nework bandwidth needs). With a high bitrate HD, you could even potentially overburden a 100Mbit link what with sharing overhead and such, so if you go this route all your devices (except the Roku of course) probably need to be gigabit on a switched gigabit network.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2