Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Lovepeaceguru
Topic Author

Please authorise Roku on your network

Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:52 pm

This is what the media servers page tells me. I don't understand. The Roku is hardwired into my router and shows up on my network. An ip address has been assigned. How do I authorise it? As far as I'mconcerned I've never had to authorise anything else

jor

Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:57 pm

it's on the network, but your media server won't deliver content unless you tell it to. (best guess)

bjorna

Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:56 am

I seem to have a similar problem, with Windows Vista and Media Player 11. I'm on ip, can browse the media folder, but see no mp3 tracks themselves. No and then, the HD1000 telle me to authorize it on my computer. I cannot figure out how to, there are no prompts and I have selected allow automatically in the share settings...

Did you figure this out?

jcowles3

bad user name and or password

Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:04 pm

Any help on solving a bad username or password issue? I have a server 2003 that does my DHCP and my Roku before it go fixed worked fine. Now it sees all the shares just fine on all my computers but will not access them, it just states bad user name / password. So I try all accounts that clearly work with appropriate privileges. Nothing, so I create a roku user with a roku password... no luck. So when I look at my DHCP server to see what IP's are on what devises, the IP matches up with that of the Roku but oddly it's the only devise out of 13 or so that do not have a name... 2 times to fix this thing and now dead in the water... any insight would be great.

silsbn1234

Netflix Roku rocks

Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:18 am

Having switched to DirecTV, I have to say I’m pretty disappointed with the range of movies available, even on the ‘have pretty much everything’ plan. Also, there are so many DirecTV OnDemand movies, that are old, are also chargeable. Air Force One being one example!

netflix

I started looking for alternatives – and I have a solution even better than I originally expected. Netflix + a Roku box.

Everyone is aware that Netflix allows you to rent DVDs that are mailed to your house, no timelimit – and then you return them when ready. However, they also have a streaming video service. To access this, you need a $100 Roku box. This Roku box, which cannot be purchased in stores, has to be ordered direct from the Roku site. There’s a 30 day, no-risk return policy, so I thought I’d give it a go. I’ve been blown away.

I subscribed to the lowest Netflix monthly rate, $8.99. This allows you to rent one DVD at a time, but also have access to thousands of online movies to either stream via your PC or Mac, or via a box connected to your TV, which in turn is connected to your home network.

The box arrived today. It’s cool, it’s quiet and the user interface is great. I had concerns about picture quality, but they have been alleviated.

I have the box connected wirelessly to a wireless router which is around around 80ft away. I have hooked up the box to the wireless network and it has a medium signal strength. This is more than enough to enjoy fast start speeds, high quality pictures and HD.

Roku box

I switched on the box, hooked it into my TV’s HDMI connection – all the available sockets to connect are on the back of the Roku box. The startup was easy. After a quick firmware check, the upgrade was done – and I was ready to go. The box gave me a code I had to punch into the Netflix.com site to authorise – and I was away. The only problem now is that I have around 90+ movies in my queue.

It gets very addictive just searching and adding to your list… I highly recommend this box and I expect more video and OnDemand suppliers will start to leverage this easy-to-use technology soon.