Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

riad
Topic Author

WinXP Pro Shares not seen - Only Win2000 Server Shares show

Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:04 pm

I have 2 Windows 2000 servers and one Win NT 4 Server and all of their shares show up OK.

My Windows XP Pro SP2 shares are not seen.
Firewalls are turned OFF.

They are also not seen when an attempt to add user to log on to an existing machine.

I'm running the latest OS version of the HD1000.

Is there something I need to install or do on the WinXP Pro machine to make the machine and shares visible on the HD1000.

any suggestions?

markus_maximus

Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:27 am

I had the same problem. Did you test with Telnet and use SMBMount? (search for details)

That worked for me, so I wrote a script to perform my mappings. Weird thing is that after a couple of months of using the script, the XP computers became visible to the Roku so I didn't need to keep using the script. Strange.

planeman

Exact same problem

Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:55 pm

I have the exact same problem with the same network configuration. Could someone explain this solution in more detail? Script for what the HD1000. Help I'm lost.

riad
Topic Author

Shares on WinXP Pro mounted via Telnet

Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:26 pm

As Markus suggested, I used the following code to mount my WinXP Pro shares and it worked!

1. Telnet to the Roku and login as root
(from the dos prompt, telnet <Roku IP Address>)

2. Type the following code where mypc is the name of the winxp machine
and myshare is the name of the share on that machine, user is the user with admin permissions on the machine and password is the user's password. Also, substitute the ip address shown below with the IP address of the WinXP machine.

mkdir /mnt/smb/mypc
mkdir /mnt/smb/mypc/myshare
smbmount //192.168.1.150/mypc /mnt/smb/mypc/myshare -o username=user,password=userpassword
killall taskview

I tried using a similar code suggested by rokudave in topic,
"Cannot access shared folders", but that code did not work:

mkdir /tmp/mydir
smbmount //winpc/myshare /tmp/mydir -o username=allan%allanpass

I hope a future release of the software will solve this problem, but for now the code suggested by Markus works. Thanks again.

Hope this helps the next guy who comes to this forum.

riad
Topic Author

Correction in Code I left earlier

Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:48 pm

Please note:

in my earlier message I made a mistake in the code:

I had mistakenly put "mypc" after the ip address instead of "myshare"

the correct syntax is as follows:

smbmount //192.168.1.25/myshare /mnt/smb/mypc/myshare -o username=user,password=password

dawander

My XP Share Problem Solved

Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:34 pm

I had this exact same problem. Thanks to David at Roku, we were able to trace the problem to the messenger service being disabled on my XP box. It was a clean install so I'm not sure how it got disabled. All service packs were applied.

Hope it helps.

riad
Topic Author

Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:31 am

Woow.
The MESSENGER Service.

Well, that solves that mistery.

Sure enough, My MESSENGER service was turned OFF.

I turned it ON and now my XP PC shows up on my ROKU.

ROKU Support should definately put this one on there Network troubleshooting FAQs.

Thanks.

carletondm

Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:43 am

I have this same problem. How do I turn on Messenger service? Is it as simple as running the MS Messenger program?

Thanks.

riad
Topic Author

Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:02 am

To turn the messenger service on.
In Win XP, goto Start>Control Panel>Performance and maintenance Icon>
Administrative Tools> and click on SERVICES

Scroll down to the Messenger Service and double click on it.
Make sure the startup is on automatic and start up the service by clicking on START.

This will allow your windows xp PC to broadcast it's shares and machine name info.

On the Roku Menu, you will be able to see the Windows XP PC when you try to add a new Machine from the Network Shares Menu.

Hope this helps.

jimre

Re: My XP Share Problem Solved

Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:32 pm

dawander wrote:
I had this exact same problem. Thanks to David at Roku, we were able to trace the problem to the messenger service being disabled on my XP box. It was a clean install so I'm not sure how it got disabled. All service packs were applied.

Hope it helps.
The messenger service is disabled by default, starting with XP SP2, since most people don't need it, and it has some known security problems.

However, I'm not sure what the messenger service has to do with XP shares being visible to Samba clients. It *should* have nothing to do with this. Must be some side-effect of starting Messenger Service that broadcasts your machine/share info? Hmm...

VitoAsaro

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:52 pm

Thankfully I found this in the forum. I think that many installs of Windows XP have the messenger service off; maybe service pack 2 does this as a security precaution.

I think the Windows XP Share Name problem should be added to the HD1000 Troubleshooting FAQ. It's a simple thing. #14: Windows XP Shares do not show up on the PhotoBridge? Go to settings and check to see if your messenger service is turned on.

This would save people lots of searching.

jimre

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:05 pm

Except that the messenger service should definitely NOT be required for a samba client to see your shares. No one seems to know exactly why this works - but it does. It's some side-effect of messenger service that's doing the trick. Messenger service itself is just for sending Net popups (ie, "the server is going down in 10 minutes..."). It's not actually designed for advertising shares or other resources. It's not needed by the vast majority of non-corporate PCs, and it unfortunately has some security holes that can be exploited.

I'd much rather Roku or someone figure out how to make their samba client work properly with an out-of-the-box XP SP2 install.

RCPerkinsJr

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:55 am

Turning on Messenger service did not solve the issue for me. Not sure what to do now.

-rp-
-rp-

New to Roku's :)

RokuDave

Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:37 am

RCPerkinsJr wrote:
Turning on Messenger service did not solve the issue for me. Not sure what to do now.

What release is running on your HD1K? There have been some changes in the latest beta that may affect the behavior you see. If you have the time and the inclination, pop over to the "PhotoBridge HD1000 2.0 Beta" forum and find out how to install it.

Dave

RCPerkinsJr

Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:20 am

I am using the latest release 2.15

Using the script works perfectly, but, telneting into the device after a reboot, to run a script is not "user friendly" or convenient either :P
-rp-

New to Roku's :)