Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

na9d
Topic Author

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:36 am

dgburns wrote:
na9d wrote:
Well, I like tinkering but I just had a different impression of the product.

Hard to imagine. You say you posted here asking why people don't just buy a Mac Mini. So...a bit of a mystery how you (or ANYONE!) could read this forum (or even the AVS discussions of the PB) and NOT come away with the "impression" that the PB is no comparison to a Mac type of "experience". So, why didn't YOU just buy a Mac Mini?

I thought about it. But at $200 for a used PB vs. $600 or $700 for a Mini the choice wasn't that bad. Plus I figured that if I really didn't like the PB, I could sell it on eBay as I say one there go for much more than what I paid for mine.

But the comments I got a little over a year ago about the PB vs. the Mini were that the PB was much better at playing HD media and would probably work much better for it than a Mini, etc.

na9d wrote:
Anyhow, things are improving...

That's good news! The PB does a limited few things (maybe just ONE?) better than any other product out there, even now that it's aged and orphaned by it's creator. For those of us to which those particular things are important (and the other things it sorta does well are just glitter), it'll stay the product of choice until someone REALLY creates the "next best thing".

So what is the ONE thing in your opinion it does better than anything else? Display photos? I will say that does seem to work well..

Jon

na9d
Topic Author

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:37 am

TheEndless wrote:
dgburns wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
I'm not sure what issues dgburns has seen with them, but I've never run across an MPEG-1/2 file that I couldn't play.

Umm...what I SAID was that in MY experience Transport Streams work "better" than Program Streams.

Which would suggest that program streams don't work as well.. indicating some sort of issue.. ? Either way, I was just clarifying for na9d, so he didn't get the impression that standard MPEG-2 files wouldn't work well.

TheEndless

Whis is the impression I got. :o

dgburns

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:54 am

na9d wrote:
So what is the ONE thing in your opinion it does better than anything else?

IF I were pick ONE, playing HD MPEG is it's forte, that other boxes out there STILL just don't get right.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2