Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dizzbuster
Topic Author

Why doesn't ROKU fix the site so SPAMMERS stay away?

Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:38 pm

Nuff said in the subjet line.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Why doesn't ROKU fix the site so SPAMMERS stay away?

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Because the site operators have found in the past that anything that keeps the spammers out also keeps users out, and makes it too difficult (as far as the company is concerned) for them to sign up and post. I believe there are some fixes in the pipeline, but I haven't heard anything new in a while. 

andyross

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:36 am

I don't know what the spammers think when they make it look so obvious. Shows just how brain dead they are, or how stupid some users would be to actually click on those blatantly fake links. 

jsmiddleton4

Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:16 am

There is no excuse for the spam living on for days and days though.  It appears to me this site is unmanaged.  That to me is the problem.  WHERE IS ROKU?

Apparently nowhere to be found.

scottypie1234

Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:21 am

The power of Christ compels you: Spammers be gone!

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:23 pm

andyross wrote:
I don't know what the spammers think when they make it look so obvious. Shows just how brain dead they are, or how stupid some users would be to actually click on those blatantly fake links. 

It's done almost 100% automatically with spamming software. It's not stupid on the part of the spammers, it's lazy - they don't reconfigure the output to look different. They just care about throwing 10,000 posts out there, hoping people click on a few. 

jsmiddleton4

Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Who cares how its done?

This kind of thing will always happen.  That's why there's supposed to be some kind of moderators so they can delete it right away.

Where are the moderators ROKU?

MikeFromMesa

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:36 pm

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
Where are the moderators ROKU?

The forum is active 24/7 with people from all over posting. I assume that the forum is already expensive enough for Roku to keep up as a convenience for their customers and they probably don't have moderators working all the time to keep an eye on it. I would guess they have only a few people who spend part of their time moderating and they probably live in one time zone. Hence postings made during whatever passes for their "night" probably don't get addressed until they come back online, and there may well be even less coverage during the weekends.

One of the things that always amazes me is how companies who maintain forums like this don't seem to understand that this is relieving their customer support department of countless hours answering the questions that forum members answer for them. They should consider this forum a cost saving mechanism instead of an expensive mechanism, but that is life.

DubTaylor

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:24 pm

That's what happens when Spam-World has Roku Forums marked as: Spammer Friendly.

Make it difficult enough to throw an error in the Spam-Bot for a while and the severity drops off suddenly...
but try explaining that one to Roku.
The Higher-Ups don't read the forum, see the mess, and for them, the problem doesn't exist.

fredneck

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:45 am

This is a big problem with any forum not just Roku. Roku has done a better job lately cleaning up the spam garbage. With as many spammers as there are out there it can be almost a full time job.  :|
Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:44 am

Most of the problems within the last few weeks with spammers is that my priority has been Beta Testing issues.  Although other mods tend to their respective forums, I'm the only one that handles global issues on the forums (mainly spam).  There are certain countermeasures we can employ, as in the last update before the forum changes, but to be brutally honest every single one of them has been broken as of the latest update.

We can completely eliminate the spam, but it will cause issues with new forum members posting their issues, and that's something I'm not willing to do.

It's a Catch-22 guys.  I've been doing this since 1999 on phpBB ... it's always a no-win scenario.

The best way to combat this is to mark the spam when it comes in.  That sends an immediate alert to my mailbox so I can deal with it ASAP (unless it's the weekend).  I only work very short hours on the weekends to clean up spam or respond to PMs, and deal with various beta issues.  If you mark it, I'm more likely to respond to the deletions.  Otherwise, it won't be until Monday before I take care of it.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan