Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

atc98092

Re: Spam idea

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:04 am

Shawn, so far I've noticed a significant improvement. I'd say you're headed the right direction. Nice work!
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), 4 and Ultra, Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 pm

Spam is down quite a lot, so I'm content to leave the filter at 6 minutes for now.  Will adjust in the future if needed.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

atc98092

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:32 am

I've noticed several spam posts within a minute of each other by the same user, and their post count was only 1 or 2. Seems that some of them have somehow bypassed your 6 minute limit. But I agree that overall the spam level has dropped significantly. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), 4 and Ultra, Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:51 pm

atc98092 wrote:
I've noticed several spam posts within a minute of each other by the same user, and their post count was only 1 or 2. Seems that some of them have somehow bypassed your 6 minute limit. But I agree that overall the spam level has dropped significantly. 

There is a way they can get around the filter, but it should be relatively rare.  If it proves problematic, I'll get in touch with the web-team to stop it.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

Heyitsrick

Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:47 am

Isn't it really time for a new theme that supports better spam-bot protections?  This "Canvas" theme isn't even available any longer, and appears as if it's designed for older versions of phpBB. 

It's certainly a "first world" problem for me, to be sure, but I check this forum in the morning, and it's routinely populated by all the spam posts.

Can this theme support "CleanTalk" anti-spam software?    CleanTalk Main Site      CleanTalk phpBB Specific Protections  

andyross

Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:32 am

Rather than put in time limits, can you limit the number of new subject posts a new user can make per day? They have found a way around these time counts, and are getting very bad again.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:56 am

That is not possible under the current software.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

andyross

Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:54 am

Since all those posts keep using the same phone number, could you add it to some sort of blocked word list, in several formats?

atc98092

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:22 am

andyross wrote:
Since all those posts keep using the same phone number, could you add it to some sort of blocked word list, in several formats?

They have made some of the numbers as an image, so conventional search methods won't work. You'd need some sort of OCR. And of course, they have started mocking the admins, even stating they are spam in the post title. I really hate those guys...  :evil:
Dan

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:11 am

Actually, that's me :mrgreen:

I've been adding those numbers to the word filter as they come in, if their are more than 5 posts by the same author with the same number.  Likewise, I banned the individual IP addresses as well.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

atc98092

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:20 am

You sneaky devil.  :lol: Nice!
Dan

Lgb0250

Spam annoyance

Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:23 am

Ridiculous why we have to scroll through 20+ spam postings every morning before getting to any real Roku subjects. I belong to many forums and never see this happen! 

Heyitsrick

Re: Spam annoyance

Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:52 am

There's a couple of threads about this in the Off-Topic area (which is where this thread will no doubt end up). Off-Topic is also full of spam posts. I asked about a piece of software that's designed to protect against all types of spam and includes protection for phpBB, the underlying software of this forum.  I didn't get an answer about it. If these "theme" (the customized front end to phpBB) can't support an effective third-party spam filter, it's time for a new theme, or new forum software. 

Here was my question. You can follow the links to see the types of protection it offers, specifically for phpBB forum software:

Can this theme support "CleanTalk" anti-spam software?    CleanTalk Main Site      CleanTalk phpBB Specific Protections  

atc98092

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:19 am

Shawn, I don't think your countermeasures are working. It seems the spam decreased a bunch, then they figured out a way past your tricks and now it's worse than ever. Yikes!
Dan

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:36 pm

They're like the Borg.  They adapt.  Especially to sleeping habits or when I'm technically on a break (I spread my 8 hours throughout the 24-hour period so I can cover more time on the forums).  I've been noticing recently that they've completely adapted to when I'm not online, like they did once before.  It's frustrating, so I've been trying to change-up my times so I can hit the forums during my typical downtime.  It's not easy.  I've been cataloging spam posts dates/times, and they're MOSTLY doing it during my downtime now.  A few weeks ago, they weren't.  I'm technically off-the-clock right now, but I'm monitoring to gather data.

I'm looking into other options (including requiring permissions for first-time posters and/or the possibility of citizen-moderators, which would help with approving first-time posters ((you Valued Community Members who are here more often would have that ability))), but I haven't received a go-no-go yet from the Powers that Be.  I really detest the idea of moderated first-time poster threads though, considering the nature of this forum ... it's here specifically for first-time posters, so I don't want to limit that ability, and many will find it frustrating (considering the sheer number of first-time posters).  Those of us who have been here for the last 8-10 years often forget that the vast majority of new members are drive-by one-off events.  Limiting that ability for them to post and receive an immediate (or near-immediate) answer would be detrimental to the forums, and the ONLY way to mitigate this would be with citizen-moderators.  But even that comes with some downsides, so I need to explore the idea a bit more before I can submit it to the Powers That Be.

I am still trying to get other "better" countermeasures in place (like some of those posted above), but I still have to go through superiors to approve them, and weigh costs vs effectiveness.  I think the next week or two will be better for the community, however.  I have a few other things I have to focus on right now, so the spam issue, while not ideal at the moment, is at least manageable, even if it is frustrating for you, me, and the rest of the community.  Unless the spam is overnight, I usually get to it within the hour except in a few circumstances (my darn alarm clock is my biggest failing :P ).
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------