Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DBDukes
Topic Author

Re: Dear Roku...

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:44 pm

As we conclude the weekend -- yes, we still have Sunday night to go and there's an active spammer at the moment -- I'm gonna share my thoughts on the spam situation.

It's bad.

Sure, Tanner implemented a new sign-up process on Friday, and it cut back on the spam, but it's far from ideal. This is a help forum. The first time you came here, you were probably needing help. You were able to create a login, you were able to post your problem, and you got the help you needed. Probably.

Here's the thing. New Roku users that needed help may not have been able to get it here. The manual activation is only useful if someone is there to activate the account. And, after a day or two, that's putting a bad taste in someone's mouth.

The other thing is that spammers that registered prior to the lockdown are still able to spam. As I said, one's doing it right now, with hundreds posted in one of the forums. Other dormant spammer accounts can still be used to spam. So, just because the General Forum and the Off Topic Forum are clean (as of this posting) don't get cocky. There are still plenty of spam accounts on the board that can be used to clog the tubes.

And those new users needing help aren't able to ask.

Is it worth it? No. But while cutting off new users (albeit temporarily) existing users with issues can still get help. 

I am glad to see something being done. I don't have any better suggestions other than what I and others have suggested previously. I'm glad some action is being taken, and I look forward to a workable solution being implemented, whatever it may be.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)