Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Wendellhill
Topic Author

Kodi On Roku

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:34 am

Hello, Everyone! I am Kodi user. I am using Kodi on my laptop and now I want the device for Kodi. Is Roku best for Kodi. If yes how many of you are familiar with Roku and how I can install Kodi on Roku and can I transfer my data on Roko? is there any easy guide available or can anyone guide me?

Thanks in advance.

atc98092

Re: Kodi On Roku

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:17 am

You cannot install Kodi. The Roku operating system is not standard Linux, and is tightly locked down so you can only install channels that are specifically built for it. Kodi is not one of those. If you search online there are a number of sites that claim to install Kodi on Roku. However, every one that I looked at was really talking about casting your Kodi from another device to the Roku, not installing it on the Roku itself.
Is it you own local media that you are playing? I agree that Kodi works well for that. Be aware that Roku only supports a limited number of audio and video codecs, so transcoding is necessary for any non-confirming media. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

atc98092

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:01 pm

rajaram11 wrote:
[Spam]

Yeah, go read the post you are quoting. They (and dozens of others) proclaim in their title about installing Kodi on Roku. But read the article and you'll see all they are talking about is casting Kodi from either a PC or an Android device. I've yet to find one that actually says they actually installed Kodi ON a Roku player.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Wendellhill
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:54 am

atc98092 wrote:
You cannot install Kodi. The Roku operating system is not standard Linux, and is tightly locked down so you can only install channels that are specifically built for it. Kodi is not one of those. If you search online there are a number of sites that claim to install Kodi on Roku. However, every one that I looked at was really talking about casting your Kodi from another device to the Roku, not installing it on the Roku itself.
Is it you own local media that you are playing? I agree that Kodi works well for that. Be aware that Roku only supports a limited number of audio and video codecs, so transcoding is necessary for any non-confirming media. 

Hello, Yeah you are right I was wondering on many forums and google read some article that defines that "There is absolutely no way to install Kodi on Roku directly. Nevertheless, there is a way to mirror Kodi from your other devices to your Roku set-top box" quoted from https://www.reviewsdir.com/install-kodi-on-roku/ but problem is, I just bought Roku and I want to Kodi, please suggest?

atc98092

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:05 am

Yes, that is the only way to "use" Kodi on a Roku, by using the mirror function. Be aware that Windows computers are very difficult to mirror onto a Roku. I believe you have to have Windows 10, and then there are some hardware requirements as well. I've never been able to mirror my PC to a Roku, although my Android phone does it fine. Apple products also do not mirror or cast to the Roku. The most reliable method I can think of to use Kodi and view it on a Roku would be to use an Android tablet/phone to connect to Kodi and mirror it to the Roku. Not the easiest method, but in my opinion the most reliable method.
Dan

Wendellhill
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:58 am

I am following the method listed in the article I shared. I have also left a question in many Facebook Kodi communities to get the easiest solution. BTW! I have Mac and I am mirroring via Mac. I hope Mac is not so difficult, I am totally not a tech nerd you know!

atc98092

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:25 am

I have no experience at all with Apple products, other than my work provided iPhone and iPad. I haven't touched a Mac since my kids were in elementary school. Since they are both in the 30s now with Masters degrees and one teaches High School history, that says how long it's been for me!
Dan

twiceover

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:01 pm

For your easy piracy you'll need to get a FireTV.

atc98092

Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:49 am

praveen11 wrote:
<removed by moderator>

This is another bogus article that claims to install Kodi on a Roku, but all it is referring to is mirroring another player on the Roku. This is NOT using Kodi on a Roku. If you can't control it via the Roku remote, it is not installed there. With screen mirroring you can claim to "run" anything on a Roku. But you aren't, and all you've done is add another device in the control chain. 
Dan

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:09 pm

praveen11 wrote:
<removed by moderator>

The English is terrible on that webpage.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:12 pm

praveen11 wrote:
<removed by moderator>

The English in that article was so terrible. Also, the stuff I was able to read was a bunch of nonsense.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:36 am

Locking this thread, as I think the person everyone is responding to is a spammer.  Deleting relevant posts as well.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan