Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

lexluthor5
Topic Author

Forum spam

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:26 pm

New Roku forum user.

Terribly disappointed that you guys can't deal with the spam problem in these forums. I don't think I've seen spam in other forums in years. Someone here isn't doing their job.

atc98092

Re: Forum spam

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:34 pm

They do have a forum moderator who watches for it, but of course he can't be online 24/7. The biggest issue seems to be that it's too easy for an automated script to create a user account for this forum. I understand they want to make it easier for the legitimate user, but as you note other forums are much more successful that Roku has been. Fortunately, the titles themselves are usually such a giveaway that it's not too difficult to ignore them.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

lexluthor5
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Somehow all other forums I've used have been able to deal with this for years now though. Something obviously not being done properly here. I guess they would rather have all the spam than make it a little harder to join. I know I'll be coming here less though because of it.

lexluthor5
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:26 pm

Also, spam sits here for days being reported, but not deleted.

These really no defense for whoever runs the forum. They are doing a horrible job here.

Honestly, if they care so little about forums run on their own site, it makes me worry about going with this product in the first place.

lexluthor5
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Non stop spam around here that can take many hours or days to remove.

If a company card so little about their forums, it really reflects very poorly on the company as a whole.

Would love to hear from someone at Roku why they don't care about the user experience here.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Spam is deleted when I'm on duty.  I'm typically NOT on duty on the weekends, though I sometimes reserve and hour or two on the weekends just for such a thing.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan