Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Spam idea

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:17 pm

I don't see why there can't be a minimum of 5 minutes between starting a new topic.. who really needs to start two threads 5 minutes apart?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Re: Spam idea

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:33 pm

The current setup is two minutes (Flood Filter).  It was forty seconds a week ago.  I've been considering bumping it to five minutes, considering that's generally the length of time to scan through a thread.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

atc98092

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:23 pm

Yeah, I think the bots have figured out your timer. The main forum sure got flooded today. Ouch!
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:43 pm

Yup :(

I'll probably be doing a 5-minute flood-timer on Monday, after evaluating the amount of spam that takes place over the weekend while I'm semi-off-duty.  Still searching for a simple mod that will work with our theme, but it's a slow process because I need one I can modify in an instance.  Our current theme makes that problematic at best.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

atc98092

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:17 pm

You need some Roku owner-moderators  8)
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:12 pm

While on the surface, that sounds good, you gotta think for a second. How many helpful, friendly, and overall great users here suddenly out of nowhere went bats*** crazy, figuratively kicked over tables, and stormed off? Imagine if they had power over posts during their meltdown.

Roku gotta be careful. You might be perfectly fine, willing, and capable of performing such functions, if there even was an intermediate profile that would suit the need. But you might be as nuts as I am underneath that seemingly sane exterior. Roku really can't tell, and can't risk it. 

Then again, it might be fun to watch.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:34 pm

LOL!

You have to have a REALLY thick skin to deal with this kind of stuff.  Any of you old-timers might remember some of the hate threads that were posted directly at me in the first couple of years I first started (that particular channel that was-not-to-be-named) :P

The other issue with citizen-moderators is that I have a very specific response to spam deletions/user-account-bans that cannot be done by a moderator.  While it would clean up the forums a bit, we'd still be inundated, without the abilities to be able to cut the head off at the source(s).
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

atc98092

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:57 am

Yeah, I am a moderator on the Serviio forums, but that site doesn't get hit with the nonsense you have to deal with here. I don't envy you, and know you try your best. Of course, when I've defended Roku on some other AV forums I get slammed with 'fan-boi', so I end up ignoring that person, even if I have something to offer.  :D
Dan

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:28 am

Increased flood limit to three minutes between posts.

Number of spam posts has decreased dramatically since the two-minute change.  I don't think we'll need to go beyond the three-minute-mark, but I'll be monitoring again over the weekend again and adjust accordingly.

Please remember: Do NOT respond to the spam (especially the 800-fake Roku support site spam).  Click the report button report icon Image instead.  It's less hassle with the way I'm tracking spam at the moment, and causing me to have to delete extra responses from time to time.

Example: 800-bot posts ten threads.  You respond to one of them, but I'm deleting the spambot account (and all threads related to the account).  Your posts will remain, so I have to go back and delete your responses as well.  Not a huge issue, but causes unnecessary work.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:52 am

+6 minutes.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

atc98092

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:27 am

Shawn, any possibility of having different time limits based on the activity level of your users?  I was caught this morning by the limit trying to respond in multiple threads. If a user has less than 50 posts, make their time limit longer than someone with more than 50. Might not even need it to be that high. Most of your scammer accounts rarely reach 10 posts before you block them.
Any way to make the restriction longer for posting new threads, and allowing faster posting to existing threads, since the vast majority of spam posts are via a new thread? 

And I was caught again by the limit trying to post this  :lol:
Dan

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:30 am

Hmm, possibly.  I'll look into it.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:44 am

The answer is yes and no.

I upped the number of posts required before you're placed in Registered Users to 15 posts (that should encompass all spammers except the nasty ones).  Newly Registered Users cannot ignore the flood limit.  I then set Registered Users to be able to ignore the flood limit.  We'll try this out for the rest of the week, and I'll evaluate over the weekend.

Don't get used to this though.  It's just a test for now.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

atc98092

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:09 pm

Thanks for trying!  :D
Dan

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:46 pm

Update:

Spam on average has been reduced to approximately 10/day (spread out over a 24-hour period), which is for the most part an acceptable limit.  It's still not where I want it, but we're getting closer.  There's a couple other things I can try, but I'm going to wait until next week before I look into them.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------