Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
KOMLP
Topic Author
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:23 pm

Roku continues to support the NRA

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:09 pm

 
User avatar
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5523
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Re: Roku continues to support the NRA

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:58 pm

Just because a streaming company allows the NRA to have a channel on its devices, does not mean they SUPPORT that viewpoint.. it means they allow freedom of speech. They allow all SORTS of channels from all sides of the political spectrum.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
 
twiceover
Posts: 1175
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Roku continues to support the NRA

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Who gives a biscuit?  Seriously, take your political shite somewhere else.
 
scottypie1234
Posts: 687
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 7:48 am

Re: Roku continues to support the NRA

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:41 pm

I don't like the NRA. Don't like all those danged preachers, either. For that matter, all those useless local news channels blow.

You know what I do? I don't watch them.
 
User avatar
Basil
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5125
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:26 am
Location: Savannah, GA
Contact:

Re: Roku continues to support the NRA

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:53 pm

KOMLP wrote:
http://www.ibtimes.com/which-nra-affiliated-businesses-advertisers-still-board-list-2657010

Actually, Roku doesn't take any stand one way or the other.

I do kinda wish they did, however, being an NRA member. A discount would be nice.

Now, if you have a Roku question, we're here to help.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
 
shelleyp
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Roku continues to support the NRA

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:41 am

Just as an FYI for future reference, freedom of speech has to do with being able to speak and hold some viewpoints publicly and the government doesn't interfere.

Companies can restrict who they do business with, and the speech that is hosted on the devices they manufacture.

One wonders: would Roku allow a KKK channel? Where does it draw the line?
 
User avatar
Basil
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5125
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:26 am
Location: Savannah, GA
Contact:

Re: Roku continues to support the NRA

Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:20 pm

I think they have a thing against hate speech. KKK, BLM, and several others would fall into that. NRA’s defense of the Constitution is not. Neither is the ACLU’s.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
 
wallydog
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Re: Roku continues to support the NRA

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:46 am

I see Roku boxes as computers that link content thru channels . They should let all content flow freely just like Chrome or Firefox browsers do . They do have the right to limit or block content that is copyrighted or stolen . Or any other content that is illegal to be rebroadcast . 
 
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4967
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Roku continues to support the NRA

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:46 am

wallydog wrote:
I see Roku boxes as computers that link content thru channels . They should let all content flow freely just like Chrome or Firefox browsers do . They do have the right to limit or block content that is copyrighted or stolen . Or any other content that is illegal to be rebroadcast . 

So Nambla and the KKK could have channels? And have them show up in the Roku channels store?

All companies like Roku already draw a line somewhere. Customers have every right to express their displeasure if some organizations are on the wrong side of the line. 
 
wallydog
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Re: Roku continues to support the NRA

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:53 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
wallydog wrote:
I see Roku boxes as computers that link content thru channels . They should let all content flow freely just like Chrome or Firefox browsers do . They do have the right to limit or block content that is copyrighted or stolen . Or any other content that is illegal to be rebroadcast . 

So Nambla and the KKK could have channels? And have them show up in the Roku channels store?

All companies like Roku already draw a line somewhere. Customers have every right to express their displeasure if some organizations are on the wrong side of the line. 

No I do not think Nambla or the KKK should have channels . I also do not subscribe to Fox news or Evangelical channels or the NRA because they cross my line but they are not breaking laws and should be able to stream freely . 
 
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4967
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Roku continues to support the NRA

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:44 pm

wallydog wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:
wallydog wrote:
I see Roku boxes as computers that link content thru channels . They should let all content flow freely just like Chrome or Firefox browsers do . They do have the right to limit or block content that is copyrighted or stolen . Or any other content that is illegal to be rebroadcast . 

So Nambla and the KKK could have channels? And have them show up in the Roku channels store?

All companies like Roku already draw a line somewhere. Customers have every right to express their displeasure if some organizations are on the wrong side of the line. 

No I do not think Nambla or the KKK should have channels . I also do not subscribe to Fox news or Evangelical channels or the NRA because they cross my line but they are not breaking laws and should be able to stream freely . 

I understand. My point is that plenty of VERY unsavory things (like Nambla and the KKK) could easily have channels that aren't breaking laws, but Roku probably wouldn't let them have a public channel. 
 
shelleyp
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Roku continues to support the NRA

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:53 pm

Basil wrote:
I think they have a thing against hate speech. KKK, BLM, and several others would fall into that. NRA’s defense of the Constitution is not. Neither is the ACLU’s.

You haven't seen this channel, have you? Or Dana Loesch?

Talk about hate speech...the lies, the anger, the vile behavior...this isn't about guns or the Constitution.
'Its hosts spoke chillingly of leftist plots to confiscate weapons, media conspiracies to brainwash Americans into supporting gun control and a “deep state” campaign to undermine President Trump.

“Coastal, socialist media elites hate guns so much,” said one of the hosts, Grant Stinchfield, a Second Amendment activist based in Dallas and a radio commentator, that they would take everyone’s away, “leaving only criminals, of course, with the firepower — and all of us at the mercy of evil.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/us/p ... ation.html

This is hate speech against anyone who doesn't agree with the rabid, insane gun fanaticism that NRA now embraces.
 
User avatar
Basil
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5125
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:26 am
Location: Savannah, GA
Contact:

Re: Roku continues to support the NRA

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:14 pm

So, you don't like it. Let me offer a suggestion: don't watch it.

There's plenty of leftist nonsense that's on channels that I deal with by not watching. See how it's done?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
 
ghb51
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:07 am

Re: Roku continues to support the NRA

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:31 pm

This is hate speech against anyone who doesn't agree with the rabid, insane gun fanaticism that NRA now embraces.




No, it's not, it's an opinion with which you disagree. If those of you who don't care for the NRA feel you have a convincing argument against it, then create your own channel and make that argument rather than censoring thought, ideas and speech.
 
wallydog
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Re: Roku continues to support the NRA

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:39 pm

Basil wrote:
So, you don't like it. Let me offer a suggestion: don't watch it.

There's plenty of leftist nonsense that's on channels that I deal with by not watching. See how it's done?

I agree . Only I would have said right wing nonsense . 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests