Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku continues to support the NRA

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:45 pm

wallydog wrote:
Basil wrote:
So, you don't like it. Let me offer a suggestion: don't watch it.

There's plenty of leftist nonsense that's on channels that I deal with by not watching. See how it's done?

I agree . Only I would have said right wing nonsense . 

That's how it's done. We don't watch each other's nonsense. Problem solved.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

mikebdoss

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:36 pm

Basil wrote:
wallydog wrote:
Basil wrote:
So, you don't like it. Let me offer a suggestion: don't watch it.

There's plenty of leftist nonsense that's on channels that I deal with by not watching. See how it's done?

I agree . Only I would have said right wing nonsense . 

That's how it's done. We don't watch each other's nonsense. Problem solved.

So NAMBLA and KKK channels are okay?

Basil

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:37 am

mikebdoss wrote:
...So Nambla and the KKK could have channels? And have them show up in the Roku channels store?...

mikebdoss wrote:
...My point is that plenty of VERY unsavory things (like Nambla and the KKK) could easily have channels that aren't breaking laws, but Roku probably wouldn't let them have a public channel. 

mikebdoss wrote:
...So NAMBLA and KKK channels are okay?

You seem obsessed with both NAMBLA and the KKK.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

jeffrok

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:50 am

The beauty of Roku is that unless it's a blatant hate group, they allow it. Good luck with that on any other platform.

As others have said, if you don't like it, don't watch it.

Allowing content does not mean Roku agrees with/condones the behaviors exhibited in a channel.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

mikebdoss

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:10 am

Basil wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:
...So Nambla and the KKK could have channels? And have them show up in the Roku channels store?...

mikebdoss wrote:
...My point is that plenty of VERY unsavory things (like Nambla and the KKK) could easily have channels that aren't breaking laws, but Roku probably wouldn't let them have a public channel. 

mikebdoss wrote:
...So NAMBLA and KKK channels are okay?

Yes, they're called "examples". Specifically, they're extreme examples I use when people say things like, "I think everything should be on Roku, and if you don't like it, don't watch it". 

Basil

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:17 am

mikebdoss wrote:
Basil wrote:

Yes, they're called "examples". Specifically, they're extreme examples I use when people say things like, "I think everything should be on Roku, and if you don't like it, don't watch it". 

So why did you use them with me? I never said "I think everything should be on Roku, and if you don't like it, don't watch it."

I did say that there are many Roku channels that have leftist content, which I really don't like, but deal with by not watching. And, I suggested someone with butthurt over the existence of NRA TV should do the same. And I stand by that.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

shelleyp

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:39 am

The NRA TV channel wouldn't exist if companies like Roku didn't provide a platform. So Roku is responsible for what is portrayed in the channel.

https://thinkprogress.org/nra-tv-channel-dabd4427e31a/

'In a statement on Monday, Roku spokesperson Tricia Mifsud said the company isn’t promoting NRATV or being paid to distribute it, nor does it have a commercial relationship with the NRA. She said Roku does not censor content based on viewpoints but will remove channels if it violates company policies that prohibit the publication of content that is unlawful, incites illegal activities, harm, threaten, harass, bully, or defame any end user or constitute hate speech” or “contain false, irrelevant or misleading” content.'

So evidently a pogram against liberals is just peachy keen for Roku.

'For example, a new video the NRA released on Friday features Arnold, Missouri native and conservative firebrand Dana Loesch vowing that those who oppose Donald Trump's presidency will "perish in the political flames of their own fires." Some of the other language in the minute-long ad includes "ruthless attack," "slashing," "gagging," "drive their daggers through the heart," "poisoning," and "the ashes of what they burned down." '

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblo ... -war-again

Just like too many of the other tech companies, you pretend to be something better when you're nothing more than a cheap, immoral pusher of electronics. Last time I buy anything from Roku.

You're no longer the only game in town. 

Boz

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:04 pm

shelleyp wrote:
Just as an FYI for future reference, freedom of speech has to do with being able to speak and hold some viewpoints publicly and the government doesn't interfere.

Companies can restrict who they do business with, and the speech that is hosted on the devices they manufacture.

One wonders: would Roku allow a KKK channel? Where does it draw the line?

And yet a cake making company can be sued for not making a cake for a customer with a viewpoint they don't agree with.  It is an amazingly hypocritical viewpoint.

ghb51

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:14 pm

So evidently a pogram against liberals is just peachy keen for Roku. 

Liberals are free to create as many channels as they want on Roku, I seem to remember someone mentioning that Democracy Now! has a channel and there may be more I've just never bothered to look (I don't use Roku for politics), the only one trying to silence political groups is you.

edit - my politics ftr
Last edited by ghb51 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffrok

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:30 pm

This thread is turning into the usual back and forth..

Bottom line, from someone who leans ever so slightly left- Roku takes no stance on the channels it allows.. there's conservative, there's liberal, theres libertarian, there's evangelists, there's Hindu, there's probably even an atheist channel..

Just because Roku approved a channel you don't like doesn't mean Roku SUPPORTS it. Roku supports free speech, within limits.

I think we can all agree that nobody wants a KKK or Nazi channel on the Roku. Those are genocidal hate groups. A group that likes its guns is a lot different than that.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

trekkeriii

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:43 pm

As a progressive, I am not a fan of the NRA as it's become. It's a gun manufacture lobbyist group that bribes politicians to sell more guns. I think the whole lobbyist (just a fancy way of bribing) needs to go away, hence why more non-career progressives are running to get money out of politics. Trump ran as if he was going to do that, but he's just as bought as the rest of them right now. GOP, DCCC, all sides are bought right now. 

However, I agree with Roku's stance to allow channels be it religious, NRA, or anything else that doesn't violate the law, be on Roku. I want to as a true progressive to get to the point we are not afraid of different points of view, but try to understand it. Just silencing people for what they believe is not the answer. Unless you are advocating actual violence, like the KKK, Neo-Nazi, ISIS, and other terrorist groups then I say let them be on the Roku.

To those who are saying they are boycotting Roku, Amazon, etc just because they so happen to have an app on their platform should be using their anger for the primaries coming up. This is where you make the change. Volunteer for the candidates, sign up for Wolf PAC, etc.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

Heyitsrick

Roku Doesn't Bow To Anti-NRA Pressures

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:21 am

No matter one's opinion on the NRA (or any law-abiding group), this is a good thing. Roku has released a statement affirming they don't censor channel content based upon viewpoint.  And that is as it should be. 

https://www.mediaite.com/online/roku-ke ... viewpoint/

mikebdoss

Re: Roku Doesn't Bow To Anti-NRA Pressures

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:27 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
No matter one's opinion on the NRA (or any law-abiding group), this is a good thing. Roku has released a statement affirming they don't censor channel content based upon viewpoint.  And that is as it should be. 

https://www.mediaite.com/online/roku-ke ... viewpoint/

Except they DO - all the time. They wouldn't allow a KKK channel, even if it ONLY talked about why they think white people are great. They wouldn't allow anything from any hate group even if the channel didn't have that hate in the programming. You'd never see an ISIS sponsored channel even if they never mentioned anything illegal. By being selective at all, they open themselves up to valid criticism about the channels that ARE allowed. They say they don't allow programming  with "false, irrelevant or misleading” content. What does "irrelevant" mean here? Why are any religion channels allowed if nothing false/misleading is supposed to be permitted?

Roku picks and chooses every day. I don't think there's anything wrong with calling them out for some of their picks. 

37mediagroup

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:32 pm

Wow, NAMBLA, I haven't heard that term since Howard Stern was on terrestrial radio. Ahhh, the good old days.  

jntaylor1701

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:21 pm

jeffrok wrote:
Just because a streaming company allows the NRA to have a channel on its devices, does not mean they SUPPORT that viewpoint.. it means they allow freedom of speech. They allow all SORTS of channels from all sides of the political spectrum.

Um, your right to free speech is between you and the govt, not a corporation. Go talk to Alex Jones about YouTube if you need a better example.

Me, I will not purchase any new Roku hardware as long as they keep NRATV streaming. That is called the free market and power of consumer choice.