Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku continues to support the NRA

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:38 pm

jntaylor1701 wrote:
...Me, I will not purchase any new Roku hardware as long as they keep NRATV streaming.  That is called the free market and power of consumer choice.

You are absolutely correct about free speech. And your choice as a consumer. But you might want to be smart about it.

NRATV is available on Roku. So stop using Roku, right?

And on Apple TV. So stop using Apple stuff. Like iPhones and iPads. Right?

And on Fire TV. So stop using Amazon, right?

And on Chromecast. So stop using Google. And no Android. And no YouTube. Right?

And on SirusXM. So no SiriusXM Radio. Right?

And Podcasts are on iHeartRadio. So none of that. Right?

And Podcasts on iTunes. So again, no Apple stuff. Right?

https://www.getnra.tv/

We'll sure miss you here in Technologyland.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

jntaylor1701

Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:59 am

I can get my Plex, Netflix, Amazon on Xbox and PS4. So yes I have choices from devices that do not help spread hate, fear and threats from a foreign sponsored group.

And Yes, companies should be held accountable. And they will only listen when dollars go elsewhere.

johnrobertson

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:36 am

I think we should all respect everyone else's opinions guys, come on! It is 2018 after all
Last edited by johnrobertson on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

Basil

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:01 am

jntaylor1701 wrote:
I can get my Plex, Netflix, Amazon on Xbox and PS4.  So yes I have choices from devices that do not help spread hate, fear and threats from a foreign sponsored group.

And Yes, companies should be held accountable.  And they will only listen when dollars go elsewhere.

But Amazon! Their Fire TV device carries NRA TV. So, you need to avoid Amazon, right? 

Oh, and Websites that host on Amazon Cloud, right? Because that supports Amazon, and Amazon carried NRA TV. So...

And what phone will you use? Because iPhones are from Apple, and Apple TV carries NRA TV. And Android is Google, and NRA TV is on Chromecast, which is Google. So no Android phones either, right?

Yeah, let me know where your indignation ends and your reality kicks in.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

mikebdoss

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:06 am

Basil wrote:
jntaylor1701 wrote:
I can get my Plex, Netflix, Amazon on Xbox and PS4.  So yes I have choices from devices that do not help spread hate, fear and threats from a foreign sponsored group.

And Yes, companies should be held accountable.  And they will only listen when dollars go elsewhere.

But Amazon! Their Fire TV device carries NRA TV. So, you need to avoid Amazon, right? 

Oh, and Websites that host on Amazon Cloud, right? Because that supports Amazon, and Amazon carried NRA TV. So...

And what phone will you use? Because iPhones are from Apple, and Apple TV carries NRA TV. And Android is Google, and NRA TV is on Chromecast, which is Google. So no Android phones either, right?

Yeah, let me know where your indignation ends and your reality kicks in.

Just because it's hard to fight something doesn't mean we shouldn't. Letting companies know (voting with our dollars) is pretty much the only leverage we have. Of course we can't boycott everything, but starting with a small company (like Roku) can lead to change down the line. 

Basil

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:16 am

mikebdoss wrote:
Just because it's hard to fight something doesn't mean we shouldn't. Letting companies know (voting with our dollars) is pretty much the only leverage we have. Of course we can't boycott everything, but starting with a small company (like Roku) can lead to change down the line. 

Didn't say you shouldn't stand for what you believe. And I support your right to protest, even though I think this whole thing is, at best stupid and at worst, dangerous. The second amendment, after all, is what guarantees all the others. But go on with your silly little protest.

The fact that you'll only pick on the little guy while giving the big guy a pass shows just what true meaning is (or isn't) behind the protest.

I can't wait for the next trendy thing to come along so the Tide Pod generation can get involved with it instead.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

mikebdoss

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Basil wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

Didn't say you shouldn't stand for what you believe. And I support your right to protest, even though I think this whole thing is, at best stupid and at worst, dangerous. The second amendment, after all, is what guarantees all the others. But go on with your silly little protest.

The fact that you'll only pick on the little guy while giving the big guy a pass shows just what true meaning is (or isn't) behind the protest.

I can't wait for the next trendy thing to come along so the Tide Pod generation can get involved with it instead.

Do you think you could be snarkier and more degrading next time? It didn't quite come through.  :roll:
You "pick" on the little guy because you're more likely to be successful. Apple doesn't even have a mechanism for listening to this kind of complaint. Roku's got its ear to these forums but also has large market penetration.  They're a great "target" for this kind of protest. 

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:31 pm

Forum Rules

1st thread warning.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan