Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
jlsoaz
Topic Author
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:12 pm

Question about Atheist TV

Mon May 21, 2018 5:52 am

Hi - I thought that I had posted this yesterday, but I don't see it.  Maybe I got confused, or if it was removed, perhaps could someone please tell me.  Note I realize there are folks who might be offended even just by the existence of such a channel, but my point here is not to provoke any sort of argument or problem, I just want to figure out what has happened with the channel.  My question is whether anyone knows why Atheist TV does not seem to be well-curated.   Basically, there doesn't seem to be much (if any) content dated after about 2014 or 2015.

This wikipedia page gives an idea of the channel, including the role of the roku player in accessing the channel.  Even the wikipedia page seems to reflect little information after 2014-2015 or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AtheistTV

I have sent a question directly to atheists.org, but I am wondering if anyone here knows what is up.  Is it just a matter of a typical channel launch with a lot of energy, and then there is little or no follow-up?  There is I think a fair amount of new content out there that could be put forth on the channel.

Addendum/Edit:
If I go here:
www.atheists.tv
then it takes me to this notice from 2015.
https://www.atheists.org/2015/09/atheis ... d-service/
So, does this mean that there might be new content, but not accessible through Roku?  Why keep the channel on Roku at all then, if it is never to be updated with any new content? 

Aside from all this, if anyone wants to recommend good atheist or secular-philosophy-oriented channels on Roku, that would be great.
 
User avatar
Basil
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 5126
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:26 am
Location: Savannah, GA
Contact:

Re: Question about Atheist TV

Mon May 21, 2018 6:47 am

I remember your post. I responded.

Essentially, I said that they stopped live streaming and went VOD only, but you have that notice in your new post.

My response also that that they would be the ones to answer any questions about their updating (or lack of updating) of their content. 

As your your new questions, I didn't read it to say they were making content available through other means, just that they were no longer offering live content, but would offer VOD content only. I didn't read anything else into it.

I suggest again you pursue your questions with them. They're the only ones that can answer. Unless, of course, they monitor this forum. Perhaps reaching out to Facebook, Twitter, or other social outlets?

I have no suggestion regarding other content of that type.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
 
jlsoaz
Topic Author
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:12 pm

Re: Question about Atheist TV

Mon May 21, 2018 8:49 am

Basil wrote:
I remember your post. I responded.

Essentially, I said that they stopped live streaming and went VOD only, but you have that notice in your new post.

My response also that that they would be the ones to answer any questions about their updating (or lack of updating) of their content. 

As your your new questions, I didn't read it to say they were making content available through other means, just that they were no longer offering live content, but would offer VOD content only. I didn't read anything else into it.

I suggest again you pursue your questions with them. They're the only ones that can answer. Unless, of course, they monitor this forum. Perhaps reaching out to Facebook, Twitter, or other social outlets?

I have no suggestion regarding other content of that type.

Ok, thanks, it's a mystery to me what happened to my post or your response, but thanks for the thoughts here, and for the extra effort to re-post.

On contacting them directly, I did send an email yesterday to the place that seems to be their parent, but I have no idea if they will respond.  Over many years, my preference continues to be to post here in the Roku forum, for more than one reason, but yes, in some cases, it can prove to be useful to speak to a channel directly.  I guess it's case-by-case, and also depends on what my own goals are.
 
KenJackson
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:32 pm

Re: Question about Atheist TV

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:24 am

jlsoaz wrote:
Ok, thanks, it's a mystery to me what happened to my post or your response, but thanks for the thoughts here, and for the extra effort to re-post.

I vaguely recall posting a question about the desire for the content of an atheist channel.  But I don't see my post either.
 
jlsoaz
Topic Author
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:12 pm

Re: Question about Atheist TV

Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:42 pm

KenJackson wrote:
jlsoaz wrote:
Ok, thanks, it's a mystery to me what happened to my post or your response, but thanks for the thoughts here, and for the extra effort to re-post.

I vaguely recall posting a question about the desire for the content of an atheist channel.  But I don't see my post either.

On the side-question of what happened to our posts, I have to admit that one hypothesis for me is that some folks may find that any discussion of atheist content is offensive to them (even if the posts are well within forum rules) and so there may be reports of the posts to Roku as offensive, even if those reports should not lead to removal of the posts.  Perhaps there is some glitch in Roku's processing of problem-post-reports?   (Maybe it's automated?... but I wouldn't think so.)

On the topic question of Atheist TV, I had some communication with the folks at Atheist Experience and made them aware that some old episodes of Atheist Experience were on Roku via Atheist TV, but that basically there's no up-to-date well-managed video channel (that I've found) with good content on the topic of Atheism on Roku.  (There are, however, some of the usual audio podcasts in different channels).  I think Atheist Experience did appreciate the heads-up.  They do seem to want to get their good (in my view) show distributed more widely, but I'm not sure if anything will come of it.  It's a bit hard for me to say whether it would be a good idea for them to push for it on the Roku (such as an Atheist Experience channel) as I don't have a strong sense of how much this would hurt or help them.  Myself, I consume very little audio or video on atheist topics, but once in awhile it would be good to turn on the roku and find it more readily.  We can always go find the video content somewhere else, but it just seems inconvenient.
 
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Posts: 6627
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Question about Atheist TV

Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:23 pm

If a post is marked as offensive, I take a look at it and make a judgement call.  I won't summarily delete a thread or post because of a person's belief.  In this particular case, it was just a momentary lapse of due diligence because of forum spam.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
 
jlsoaz
Topic Author
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:12 pm

Re: Question about Atheist TV

Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:52 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
If a post is marked as offensive, I take a look at it and make a judgement call.  I won't summarily delete a thread or post because of a person's belief.  In this particular case, it was just a momentary lapse of due diligence because of forum spam.

Ok, thanks.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tallpall and 2 guests