Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DubTaylor

Re: Entire forum spammed!

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:36 am

ghb51 wrote:
This thread is currently on page 4 and there's only one other non-spam thread before it, not even going to bother seeing how many pages it goes.

edit - 20 spam comments just in the 10 minutes since I wrote this comment, so one every 30 seconds, that's some efficient spam.

I think we agree spam sucks.
We didn't say they weren't experts in their field.

Vorg

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:49 pm

One simple thing that many forums do is limit the number of post new members can make to like 1 per hour for the first 24/hours

Heyitsrick

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:58 pm

There is at least one solution. This is a phpBB-based software forum. I alerted them to this once before (never heard back), but there's a program called CleanTalk that's made for this type of forum software:  https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/antispam_by_cleantalk/

37mediagroup

Re: Wow

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:43 pm

Developer Forums section was 20 pages deep. I agree, never seem other forums this bad.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Spamalicious

Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:46 pm

What did I miss? Sounds like the very opposite of fun.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

jeffrok

Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:53 pm

Just the usual 20 pages of Chinese spam from Sunday until now..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

DubTaylor

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:10 am

jeffrok wrote:
Just the usual 20 pages of Chinese spam from Sunday until now..

Now morphed from standard spam into special X-Rated spam (we got the upgrade) -  to serve all those Church Channel Folks not getting enough smut in their lives.

For more un-interrupted service please disable Translation Options in your browser so you won't have to deal with that annoying Pop-Up.

These guys are professionals - 20 pages (an hour) is child's play.

Heyitsrick

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:46 am

As I mentioned in a previous thread about this problem, there is an anti-spam product for this type of forum (phpBB). Here's the cut/paste from my post in the other thread:

There is at least one solution. This is a phpBB-based software forum. I alerted them to this once before (never heard back), but there's a program called CleanTalk that's made for this type of forum software:  https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/antispam_by_cleantalk/

Elijah_Baley

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:26 am

One thing that has me stumped a bit about this whole issue is that I started another thread, in fact two, about similar issues in the past and those threads were quickly move to the off topic forum to suppress discussion. At least that is the only reason that seems to make sense.

Now this thread, which was created by someone else, has been allowed to flow on.

I think it is a bit of favoritism or bias that is shown.

As has been pointed out in this thread and others there are solutions that are simply not being implemented.

I participate pretty heavily in the Plex forums and Plex is MUCH more widely used and their forums are much busier but their instance of spam is a LOT lower. They use a system called "Discourse" which I really do not like much, they recently changed from something else, but even their earlier system was virtually spam free.

I think that Roku does not really care about having a good user experience on the forums while Plex, as well as Emby, Kodi and even BigSoccer, do care and actually try to make the user experience as pleasant as possible.

Maybe Roku is intentionally making the experience bad to drive away questions and criticisms. That has mostly worked for me as I do not post here much about issues anymore as I find the Roku forums pretty unpleasant to use a lot of the time primarily because of the spam and the lack of any real in depth interaction by Roku itself.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:47 am

Elijah_Baley wrote:
One thing that has me stumped a bit about this whole issue is that I started another thread, in fact two, about similar issues in the past and those threads were quickly move to the off topic forum to suppress discussion. At least that is the only reason that seems to make sense.

Now this thread, which was created by someone else, has been allowed to flow on.

Actually, it's because I haven't had a chance to move/merge the threads.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

DBDukes

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:48 am

Elijah_Baley wrote:

I think it is a bit of favoritism or bias that is shown.

As has been pointed out in this thread and others there are solutions that are simply not being implemented.

I participate pretty heavily in the Plex forums and Plex is MUCH more widely used and their forums are much busier but their instance of spam is a LOT lower. They use a system called "Discourse" which I really do not like much, they recently changed from something else, but even their earlier system was virtually spam free.

I think that Roku does not really care about having a good user experience on the forums while Plex, as well as Emby, Kodi and even BigSoccer, do care and actually try to make the user experience as pleasant as possible.

Maybe Roku is intentionally making the experience bad to drive away questions and criticisms. That has mostly worked for me as I do not post here much about issues anymore as I find the Roku forums pretty unpleasant to use a lot of the time primarily because of the spam and the lack of any real in depth interaction by Roku itself.

Would you feel better if Shawn moved this post to the Off Topic forum? I bet he will if you ask him.

As for the lack of implementation of additional measures to combat spam, yes, I agree, it seems to be a lack of priority on the part of Roku. Maybe they just don't have the bandwidth to put the focus here. Is it the current software, phpBB? Is it the server setup that prevents additional measures from being taken? Dunno. It's frustrating, and like you, one of the reasons I've not been around as much. I don't often have issues with my Roku, but I do think I could offer help to others. But this spam has been frustrating.

Roku definitely needs to do something, but I don't know what obstacles they may have created for themselves behind the scenes that make this harder. It's not uncommon, but it's really evident because of the large user base.

Roku should shut this forum down and start a new support offering.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

jeffrok

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:39 pm

I love how the complaints and solutions to the spam got moved to the least used area of the forums.. grr.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

mikebdoss

Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:37 pm

jeffrok wrote:
I love how the complaints and solutions to the spam got moved to the least used area of the forums.. grr.

The only person who can implement the "solutions" is Shawn - he'll see this no matter where it is. It's pretty useless to have board newbies just saying "me too" regarding the spam.  

jeffrok

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:58 am

I need to learn Chinese.. I feel like I'm missing out on SO. MUCH.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

DubTaylor

Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:28 am

jeffrok wrote:
I need to learn Chinese.. I feel like I'm missing out on SO. MUCH.

Don't worry. Roketta Stone and the 'Immersion Technique' currently underway on Roku Forums will have you fluent in no time.

I can already order a 'Companion' with all the appropriate lubes and enhancements in Beijing - and that's just the 'reservoir tip' of this iceberg.

:D