Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Bill Blue
Topic Author

What has happened on this forum?

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:02 am

What is it with all this Chinese/Japanese/Korean/etc. comments?  I think this forum was hacked.  I used Google Translate and deciphered that it is a referral to a sex site.  Hope something can be done about this.
PC user since 1981 & Roku for 10 years.
65" Samsung UN65JS9000 w/Vizio soundbar & Roku Ultra
Hisense (Roku) 43R7E 4K HDR & Vizio soundbar.
Roku Stick in guest room; In master bedroom: Vizio 32" TV w/Stick+ & ZVOX V420 Soundbar

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: What has happened on this forum?

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:13 am

Bill Blue wrote:
What is it with all this Chinese/Japanese/Korean/etc. comments?  I think this forum was hacked.  I used Google Translate and deciphered that it is a referral to a sex site.  Hope something can be done about this.

It's okay, they're just spam comments that haven't been cleaned up yet. They happen everywhere. 

speechles

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:18 am

All it takes is one bad apple, or in this case, one bad actor who speaks chinese.

They do this so google bots see it. This gives their website or whatever more ranking. Since its mentioned so frequently. They want to infect sites that have huge numbers of impressions to do this. Infecting a forum that hardly gets traffic will hardly get google/bing/web-spiders to read its infection and spread it.

Its either russian or chinese doing this because those countries actually condone this behavior. It might even be the chinese government and some worker at that company decided to try a few posts on roku. Then when they saw no action being taken to remove their posts or ban them, flood the place into the ground.

it's a common practice. Roku.. you guys need a more active moderation team. You are looking more amateur than these forums people run for fun. You roku forums guys need to do better. Not saying you aren't doing a good job. Saying it can be better, please do better. It's a single person flooding thousands of posts. Get moderators on different timezones. Actually have check-ins required where moderators lose their spot if they dont login every now and then. Simple things.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:29 am

Sorry about that guys.  I've been diagnosing a computer issue all morning, so didn't get to the spam until now. :(
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan