Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ncoppola
Topic Author

Web Browser for ROKU

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:41 am

I'd like to know whether there is a web browser app for ROKU.  I'm looking for this app because I live in an area of New England where we are unable to get NESN (Red Sox/Bruins) via our streaming TV provider.  NESN does offer the NESNGo app that can be used via the internet ***if*** you are contracted with a video provider like Xfinity.  We do have Xfinity for internet.

I'm wondering whether we could open the NESNGo app inside of a browser in ROKU successfully?

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Web Browser for ROKU

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:06 am

No browser.

Have you tried the Xfinity app to see if that channel is one listed?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku 2 (4210), Roku Stick (3600)
Apple TV (4th gen), Fire TV, TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku generation 1, 2, 3, & 4 boxes.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd gen)

ncoppola
Topic Author

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:48 am

To my knowledge, you need Xfinity TV service to use the app.  So, it defeats the purpose.

I see there is Browser X for Roku, which looks to offer web browser functionality, but the reviews are not stellar and I do not know if it is capable of supporting a streaming app. I've emailed them to see if it is possible.  If so, it is going to be worth the $5/month for the app.

Thanks!

37mediagroup

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:09 pm

Just curious, do you have TV service with a provider that doesn't carry NESN, but have Xfinity for Internet?  (Just sounds odd, didn't know places have 1 TV carrier & another Internet carrier).

Anyway, a better option would just be to 'cast' the video from your phone to your Roku. My Roku TV does it, and I believe the Roku Express does as well (along with higher end models). Its pretty simple, just goto Settings > System >Screen Mirroring, and if your phone is capable (Mine is a Galaxy 8 ) select Smart View. This will enable to TV to show your phones screen.. Then just maximize the video on your phone & put it down (plug it in do, as the battery will drain). The video quality is pretty close to HD, myb not crystal clear. But its a pretty easy solution. I have a web video subscription for business that I'll watch on my TV this way instead of my phone.

ncoppola
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:22 am

Hello,

We had Xfinity for phone, TV, and Internet. In our area, Xfinity is really the best for Internet.  However, as you may know, Xfinity is otherwise horrible in their business practices, extremely high pricing, etc..  So, we've reduced to just Internet and are using streaming services from another provider who doesn't require you purchase the Xfinity TV package in order to stream.

We're saving lots and the quality is as good.  In fact, I often forget we are streaming vs. cable.

We have the Roku Streaming Sticks + on our TVs and are all on iPhones. I found this link, which may be helpful (not just to myself, but others)
https://airmore.com/mirror-iphone-ipad-roku.html

If this ends up working ( I will try and let folks know), I'll be saving probably another nice sum of money each month.  Thanks!

- N

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:21 am

The YouTube TV service includes NESN. https://tv.youtube.com 
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku 2 (4210), Roku Stick (3600)
Apple TV (4th gen), Fire TV, TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku generation 1, 2, 3, & 4 boxes.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd gen)

Lawtonson

Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:21 am

Did you get this to work, Ncoppola? This sounds almost too good to be true.