Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Job
Topic Author

Roku Video codec VC-1 (Microsoft)

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:36 am

My apologies if I am posting in the wrong section of the forum.

I have a lot of files with the VC-1 codec but unfortunately I just got the Roku Ultra but it could not handle this codec.  Is there some package or workaround I can add to make Roku play those files?

Thanks for the help. 

atc98092

Re: Roku Video codec VC-1 (Microsoft)

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:45 am

Unfortunately, there is no way to add additional codec support to any Roku. Your only options are to either re-encode your videos using H.264 or H.265, or use a DLNA server to transcode and stream the videos to your player. I do the latter, using Serviio as my DLNA server. There's also Plex, which can act as a DLNA server or use its native Roku app. And there are many other possible choices that support all the usual operating systems. 
The disadvantage of running a DLNA server is the need to keep a separate computer (or NAS) running on your network. However, it has a major advantage in that you can now stream your media to any device on your network, and support more than one stream at a time, depending on your server hardware's capabilities. Since I leave all of my computers on 24/7 anyway, there's no down side for my operation. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

Job
Topic Author

Re: Roku Video codec VC-1 (Microsoft)

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:05 am

Thank you for your reply.

I actually run a NAS with Emby, Plex, and miniDLNA.  I bought this Roku hoping I won't have to have a bunch of equipment to do my streaming.  I already use a PS3 and Sony tiny Blu-Ray box.  The Sony box plays those files.  I had high hopes for the Roku tho.

I will re-code using h264 and use miniDLNA as a pass-trough, works wonders. 

Thanks again.