Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Miami Son
Topic Author

I just don't understand

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:18 am

Why something can't be done about the spammers? It's ridiculous.

speechles

Re: I just don't understand

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:47 am

Something is done. It is just done after the fact. They are providing a fix, but not a cure. They need to figure out WTF the spammers are exploiting in their phpbb. Be it the captcha, any plugins that are sql injectable, etc... It reeks of lazy.. The ironic part is this is public face of Roku. This shows that they do just react to the issue and do nothing to ever update this website or fix the core issue. They aren't proactive at actually finding a solution and stay three steps ahead of the bots. They leave holes in their security and figure they can just clean up the mess each time is a better solution.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewfor ... 4b584d5de2

Maybe they should spend some time reading the forums for phpbb and become proactive in helping defend the internet from this kind of abuse rather than semi-condone it.

The bots spam their "crap flood" so web spider index bots will see it. Then it gives relevance to whatever their agenda is and raises the spot their website/link gets in Google/Bing/Etc search results. The more they spam with bots the more web scraper bots see that spam and give it relevance. Until web forums, such as this, act to prevent this type of abuse they are basically just sheep and can get fleeced at any time. You either care or you don't. The care here is very low to stem the flooding these bots cause.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/1/18205 ... telligence

That verge link above explains it well too. One step ahead isn't good enough to stay away from the bots. The new number is three.

Miami Son
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:01 am

While it is nice for a company to offer a support forum such as this, I agree that it is lazy for them to allow it to be treated like this and shows little concern for the users to have to be subjected to it. Not a good face for your company, Roku.

rey_1178

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:12 am

If phpBB doesn't have what's needed to get this under control then they need to move the forum To XenForo or Vbulletin software. I was a moderator for years and these issues were always under control. 

twiceover

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:20 am

All they have to do is turn on Post/Comment moderation or allow some trusted forum members as moderators.  flower, they wouldn't even have to give the "moderators" any real power.  Most boards allow for an "approver" status that can just approve new posts.

fonzy35

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:27 pm

They have Mods shortage
And probably limited fund? Just guessing on this one :-)

Miami Son
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:13 am

fonzy35 wrote:
They have Mods shortage
And probably limited fund? Just guessing on this one :-)

It costs them nothing to make a few long-time users moderators with limited powers that can delete the SPAM posts regularly. Living on the east coast they overwhelm the forum making it almost unreadable until the Admins on the west coast wake up.

bdpopeye

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:13 am

Miami Son wrote:

Not really. Just after they post. You can stop robots. But actual human spammers? Nope. They have to post first. Then you squash 'em. I was a moderator for a military forum for about seven years. Spammers , trolls and stupid arguments are always going to happen in forums.

Miami Son
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:26 am

bdpopeye wrote:
Miami Son wrote:

Not really. Just after they post. You can stop robots. But actual human spammers? Nope. They have to post first. Then you squash 'em. I was a moderator for a military forum for about seven years. Spammers , trolls and stupid arguments are always going to happen in forums.

Often, we see a new member with a fake name make a dozen or more posts within minutes. Why not limit a new user to no more than 3 posts for the first 14 days of their membership? Won't eliminate the SPAMMERS, but will certainly cut them down while still allowing a legitimate new user to ask for help with a problem. I've modded and admined in more than a few forums over the years and never seen it as bad as it is in here.

Miami Son
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:26 am

Yet another day of the forum overrun by SPAM. How hard would it be to institute an e-mail validation after signup and prior to being able to post? The vast majority of online forums have this simple requirement of users.

DBDukes

Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:35 am

Miami Son wrote:
Yet another day of the forum overrun by SPAM. How hard would it be to institute an e-mail validation after signup and prior to being able to post? The vast majority of online forums have this simple requirement of users.

The spam looks like manual spam, not bot generated. That solution wouldn’t matter.

That’s not intended to shoot your suggestion down, but to show there is no one solution. And every solution is met with countermeasures.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

Miami Son
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 am

DBDukes wrote:
Miami Son wrote:

The spam looks like manual spam, not bot generated. That solution wouldn’t matter.

That’s not intended to shoot your suggestion down, but to show there is no one solution. And every solution is met with countermeasures.

I doubt an actual spammer would want to use a real e-mail address to confirm his member request.

atc98092

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:41 am

Most forums nowadays require an email confirmation before permitting access. It's been so long since I created my Roku account I have no idea what authentication measures they use now. Whatever they are, it isn't enough...  :roll:
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

RokuTannerD

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:34 am

Thanks for sharing the thoughts and concerns here everyone.  

We are currently working on a new solution that will help resolve this type of issue/behavior in our Community. In the meantime, please continue to report any offending post content that you see which violates our Forum Rules, and we will review as soon as possible. 

While spam is annoying and can be frustrating, rest assured we are taking this concern very seriously and actively pursuing a solution to remedy this issue. Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions or thoughts. 

Thanks again for your vigilance and dedication to helping keep our Community safe and helpful for everyone!

Cheers,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

apodtele

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:54 am

- Ban a user for 3 identical posts for a week.
- Refuse any post with in a minute from a his previous post