Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Is Nowhereman/RokuChris done with Roku?

Mon May 06, 2019 11:18 am

I went to TheNowhereman.com and TheNowheremam.com/roku and both just display a link to a free Amazon trial..

Is he done with Roku development?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Williamt100

Re: Is Nowhereman/RokuChris done with Roku?

Tue May 07, 2019 5:45 am

I hope not!
Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X

speechles

Tue May 07, 2019 8:37 am

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=26363&start=2550

Ask and they close the thread. He might have quit and the NDA keeps him from disparage them. It basically mutes him and the only thing he can do to say anything is take down anything he has ever done for Roku. Possibly? Maybe... That other thread implies some kind of control or NDA shutting him up.

Elijah_Baley

Tue May 07, 2019 12:09 pm

Nowhereman/RokuChris may well have just decided that maintaining an app like NowhereTV is just a LOT more trouble than it is worth. He also could have decided that dealing with Roku at any level is also not worth the trouble. Or he could have decided that both or some amount of both are the problem.

Personally I do not blame him at all.

There are reasons that a lot of us that were very active earlier in Roku's history are no longer as active. Roku has shown that their interest and care about their customers no longer matters at all. All they care about is making money and are rapidly becoming or have already become what to Henry Ford is a poor business:
"A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business." Henry Ford  
While Roku has, and probably always will, make, or at least sell, a hardware box, that box is rapidly becoming less and less relevant to their business model

I have six different Rokus but I have stopped using them for most of my streaming as I find that the moves they have made are detrimental to what I want/need in a streaming box. It is no wonder that a lot of the more creative developers are abandoning Roku or reducing their presence in the Roku world.

That is not to say that the rest of the streamers are much better but the Shield and the Fire, mostly the Shield, do have some advantages over Roku and they do not suffer as much from indifference to the needs of the user as much as Roku does.

If I were developing for the Roku environment I would be seriously be looking to move elsewhere.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

mikebdoss

Tue May 07, 2019 1:28 pm

speechles wrote:

Ask and they close the thread. He might have quit and the NDA keeps him from disparage them. It basically mutes him and the only thing he can do to say anything is take down anything he has ever done for Roku. Possibly? Maybe... That other thread implies some kind of control or NDA shutting him up.

That thread wasn't closed because someone asked. It was closed because that user came out of nowhere with personal attacks. 

speechles

Tue May 07, 2019 4:21 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
speechles wrote:

That thread wasn't closed because someone asked. It was closed because that user came out of nowhere with personal attacks. 

The user was muted _AND_ the thread was closed _AND_ then reminders were made with huge red text about forum rules. I think that speaks volumes about this situation. Don't you? What it doesn't say says alot. The under currents of the sweeping under the rug. Can't you see the broom marks on the rugs at Roku HQ? That is where stuff goes under the rug. Lift those corners and they close the thread. 

/me puts down the rug corners.
/me puts hands in pockets.
/me whistles and walks into the other room. :)

The fact his websites now point to Amazon properties isn't a CO INKY DINK. Everything happens for a raisin. What is the raisin? It is a grape withered in the sun. Where can I get in touch with this withered grape? That was the entire point of this thread.

jeffrok
Topic Author

Tue May 07, 2019 5:16 pm

The thread was closed by Shawn, and Shawn's no longer here. And Shawn could be a little trigger happy with the closing of threads in general, if you ask me.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Tajson

Tue May 07, 2019 8:23 pm

His last action is still active so his forum account has not be locked.

Heyitsrick

Wed May 08, 2019 3:35 am

The thread was 171 pages and spanned 8 years, and other threads have been closed (by the previous forum mod) when getting large like that. Looks like that last ridiculous post put it over the top in the mod's eyes. I haven't seen enough to buy into the conspiracy mindset.

Heyitsrick

Wed May 08, 2019 3:47 am

jeffrok wrote:
I went to TheNowhereman.com and TheNowheremam.com/roku and both just display a link to a free Amazon trial..

Is he done with Roku development?

Sent you a PM.

RokuTannerD

Wed May 08, 2019 9:20 am

Moving this thread to Off-Topic. 
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager