Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jlsoaz
Topic Author

Has anyone used Roku as part of learning a language?

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:23 am

Hi - 
It is not a key project for me, but eventually I'd like to learn Spanish.  Has anyone successfully used their Roku as part of learning a language?  I guess I'll add that while some may have used it in part to learn English, what I'm really after here is recommendations for learning non-English languages.

Here's where I'm at:

Amazon: nearly-useless.  They do not regularly provide Spanish language subtitles, nor Spanish audio tracks as one might get on a DVD.
Netflix: ? slightly better than Amazon but that's not saying much?
Other movie and TV channels?  Any good mixture of English and Spanish.  A few months ago one issue I had when I checked into this a bit was that I was unable to find much in movies or TV that I would normally watch.
Language-teaching channels?  I tried one Spanish language channel some time ago.  Maybe should give it another whirl.

Anyway, has anyone tried this?  

atc98092

Re: Has anyone used Roku as part of learning a language?

Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:30 pm

Never tried it, but I just searched for Spanish on the Roku What's On page of their main web site (https://www.roku.com/whats-on) and found several learn to speak Spanish channels, one being geared towards the younger audience. There's probably more Spanish speaking channels availabe that aren't appearing when you use that as the search keyword. Also, this site lists 10 channels that can assist with learning the language. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

jlsoaz
Topic Author

Re: Has anyone used Roku as part of learning a language?

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:08 pm

atc98092 wrote:
Never tried it, but I just searched for Spanish on the Roku What's On page of their main web site (https://www.roku.com/whats-on) and found several learn to speak Spanish channels, one being geared towards the younger audience. There's probably more Spanish speaking channels availabe that aren't appearing when you use that as the search keyword. Also, this site lists 10 channels that can assist with learning the language. 

Hi ATC, thanks for the robust and prompt answer.  I will take a look later more at this and try to incorporate it in my thinking.  Some quick background: I am not averse to paying for a channel, and have tried one or two of the Spanish language learning channels in the past.  I am not certain they will work for me, but might be willing to try them again.  What I really also want to do this month is discover a channel with really robust subtitles (both English subtitles of Spanish Audio and Spanish subtitles of English audio), ideally of shows and movies that I really want to watch.  I don't expect I'll find everything I want, but I do think it will be fun to explore some of the links mentioned on the top 10 site and I'll see what happens.

note:
It's very frustrating to me that basic DVD features (such as non-English language subtitles) don't come through on the one channel I mainly watch on Roku (Amazon) and I'm thinking perhaps as well on many other Roku channels.  I know, probably it's just the film studios restricting the feature for everyone, not just amazon, but I'm holding out hope that there is an angle I can find here, or that ultimately we paying customers can be clear enough over the coming years that we'd like to be able to stream the features, (for some of us, even if it costs more).