Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

shelleyp

Re: CAPS!!!! Overusage with AT &T

Tue May 24, 2011 8:32 am

According to forum entries elsewhere, there's problems with tracking bandwidth for UVerse, specifically separating out the AT & T streams from other streams. Of course, by doing this, AT & T is also opening itself up for a lawsuit.

I don't have the usage meter and I'm DSL, but I'm managed under UVerse because I'm DSL only, not DSL and phone.

Until we have access to a usage meter, our bandwidth isn't being capped. So I'm just ignoring anything to do with caps for now.

Miami Son

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:09 am

You awakened an 8 year old post to give some dubious e-mail links?

DBDukes

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:12 am

Miami Son wrote:

I reported that spam post last night, but Tanner hasn't got around to removing them.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

twiceover

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:52 pm

DBDukes wrote:
Miami Son wrote:

I reported that spam post last night, but Tanner hasn't got around to removing them.

Wonder how many employees they need before we get post/comment moderation.

DBDukes

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:12 pm

twiceover wrote:
DBDukes wrote:
Miami Son wrote:

They've previously expressed why moderation for first-time posters isn't workable: new users have an issue, post, then get their help. If moderated, they'll sit even longer before getting help. Put yourself in those users' shoes.

Essentially, there's no good answer, as long as Roku has a single person moderating, is running the current version of the software, and doesn't have better filters in place.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

twiceover

Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:58 pm

DBDukes wrote:
twiceover wrote:
DBDukes wrote:
Miami Son wrote:

They've previously expressed why moderation for first-time posters isn't workable: new users have an issue, post, then get their help. If moderated, they'll sit even longer before getting help. Put yourself in those users' shoes.

Essentially, there's no good answer, as long as Roku has a single person moderating, is running the current version of the software, and doesn't have better filters in place.

Not buying that.  If I'm a new user and put up a post, it gets buried by 3-40 PAGES of spam.  1: my question isn't going to get attention anyway and 2: do I really trust the place if it can't control spam?  The answer to both is NO.  Enabling post/comment moderation once the user has X amount of approved posts they can post till the end of time.  Almost all forum software has these functions.  flower, I'd bet 95% of spam would be eliminated by requiring 3 days and 1 single approved post before being able to post fully.

With two people on staff they should be able to approve new poster posts pretty quickly.  Over night doesn't really matter.

DBDukes

Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:37 pm

twiceover wrote:
Not buying that.  If I'm a new user and put up a post, it gets buried by 3-40 PAGES of spam.  1: my question isn't going to get attention anyway and 2: do I really trust the place if it can't control spam?  The answer to both is NO.  Enabling post/comment moderation once the user has X amount of approved posts they can post till the end of time.  Almost all forum software has these functions.  flower, I'd bet 95% of spam would be eliminated by requiring 3 days and 1 single approved post before being able to post fully.

With two people on staff they should be able to approve new poster posts pretty quickly.  Over night doesn't really matter.

Roku has decided that it's in their interest to allow new users to post, to avoid same-day returns ("I tried to get help, but it wouldn't even let me ask a question!") If they felt it was in their financial interest to not allow new users to ask questions, they would.

You also seem to overlook the latest trick spammers are pulling: copy-pasting questions from Reddit, then editing them days later to include spam links. That right there gets around your suggestion. That's not to trash your suggestion, but to say that no matter what you do, as long as they have a single moderator (that's Tanner, since Shawn is gone), and until they user better software or better spam plugins, nothing will stop the spam. Roku has decided that they'd rather not add to the issues by not allowing new users to post. Right or wrong. I understand it. And, if I was hamstrung by corporate the way the moderators (Shawn, and now Tanner) have been, I don't know that I would turn off new user posts, at least if I didn't know that I could easily and quickly approve them. There are 168 hours in a week. If Tanner is working 40 solid on the Forum, that's still 128 minutes (over 3 times as much) that isn't manned. And there's no way he's putting in a full 40 just on the Forum.

Sucks, yeah.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

makaiguy

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:02 pm

A couple of college (or even high school) interns working part time could keep this forum cleansed of spam on a timely basis for very little expense.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100

twiceover

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:08 pm

makaiguy wrote:
A couple of college (or even high school) interns working part time could keep this forum cleansed of spam on a timely basis for very little expense.

Currently trusted forum members would do it for free, but they don't want to trust anyone.

DBDukes

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:59 am

twiceover wrote:
makaiguy wrote:

Currently trusted forum members would do it for free, but they don't want to trust anyone.

That’s true. But would you trust people with that level of access? As mentioned the last time this topic hijacked a thread, there have been some seemingly normal and long time helpful people that suddenly went off the rails. Whover approved such would be putting their job on the line.

The problem is the right people at Roku, those that can authorize the right steps, are insulated from this Forum. If Wood, Louden, De Haas, Asnis, or Goodwin had to use the Forum, the spam would be gone by lunch, there would be a crew of six manning the boards full time, and the engineering department would have a plan in place for a permanent solution by Wednesday.
DBDukes
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

DubTaylor

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:33 am

Maybe it's time those people were made aware that Roku Forums is nothing more than a place to find out how to grow your wiener into a size that'll make everybody happy.
If I owned the place and found it in this shape my black helicopter would show up suddenly and when I left I'd be carrying out a sack of skulls/backbones for processing and Roku Forums would be under all new management. The only thing left would be twitching corpses where careers used to be...

Miami Son

Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:53 pm

Having new members wait for their posts to be approved by a mod for 14 days after signup would help cut the SPAM and still give them access to answers. If someone truly in need of help thinks they can get instantaneous response to their posts in here then they are misinformed. Too often I see newbies come into a forum, post immediately without even searching or reading through the forum and then not be heard from again for days, sometimes never. Aside from there being Roku employees working in here, this is basically a user-to-user help forum. As such, it should have some controls in place to prevent the massive amounts of SPAM that have plagued it of late.

atc98092

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:23 pm

I recall Shawn mentioning in the past that they were going to limit the number of posts new users could create without there being some time between posts. Looking at the latest spam, they've either broken though that function or never implemented it. I am a user mod on another forum, and I rarely have to delete posts more than once or twice a month. For whatever reason, Roku refuses to utilize forum software that has protection against this stuff. But why they aren't willing to "deputize" a handful of respected users to be able to remove this junk and block the user that created it, I have no idea. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

DubTaylor

Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:42 am

This forum somehow became isolated from upper management. Like The Virgin Islands deciding to go independent, but they didn't tell the UK about it and are not returning their calls...

fredneck

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:56 am

-LD instead of using an online service for backing up your computer files maybe look into a Network storage drive. We bought a Synology with 2 drives and use it to store our pictures, important documents and other files we want to save. Then we also keep a copy of the really important stuff on a small flash drive which we store at our son's house as extra protection. Once you get over the initial sticker shock a NAS is a pretty good way to go. I like this quote:

"There is NO CLOUD. It's just SOMEONE ELSE'S COMPUTER"

Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels