Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

SCOREtv.TV
Topic Author

One million Google TV v.s. 2.5 Million Roku's as of 12/2011

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:14 pm

When Google rolled out Google TV and later Google TV 2.0 everyone thought that it was going to be the platform that would replace every set-top box on the market. Today according to http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/less-than- ... 9-02-2012/ it has been announced that Google TV has less then one million subscribers.

How big of a flop has Google TV been? Since launching in October of 2010, estimates are that there are currently fewer than 1 million of the Google TV-specific devices currently in use.
Private channel : SCORETV https://owner.roku.com/Add/SCORETV

Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Re: One million Google TV v.s. 2.5 Million Roku's as of 12/2

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Google TV still hasn't really hit many platforms.

The Logitech Revue flopped. I don't think the Sony devices did too well either. I almost picked up the Google TV Blu-Ray player but decided on the PS3 instead.

They do plan to put it in some LG & Vizio TVs and Vizio will be selling a $99 streaming box.

However how many pick em up well see?

They also support Onlive.

Well see if it picks up. Not everything a company comes out with is gold.

mkiker2089

Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:51 pm

I never really thought of Google TV as a platform exactly. It's hard to explain but to me usage numbers don't matter since it's a droid computer with apps.

Hulu Plus would be nice however.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

crassh76

Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:01 pm

I have one of my Roku2 XS' connected to a Logitech Revue in my living room and utilize both of them.
Roku Premiere
Roku Stick
and a bunch of original Rokus
Wifi 35 Mbps
Plume Pods
Philips 47" LCD 1080P
Roku to TV by HDMI for A/V
Eastern Time Zone (Florida zip code 34987)

SCOREtv.TV
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Crow550 wrote:
They also support Onlive.

If only Roku, could somehow integrate http://www.onlive.com/ and if EA would say no, then go over to http://store.steampowered.com/ and try to get a channel for them develop.

According to a report put out be Steam, they are working on a set-top device that would have an Intel Core i7 processor, 8 GB of RAM, an Nvidia graphics card, and a customizable controller that could be adjusted based on game type. The Roku doesn't have that much juice but it can at least handle some game play.
Private channel : SCORETV https://owner.roku.com/Add/SCORETV

overtimeman

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:10 pm

Yep I got a Revue last December when Logitech had then 20% off with free shipping.For as streaming it never was or will be a threat to Roku.But the browser is OK if the stinking flash would quit causing the unit to pop up the page saying,"aw snap something went wrong"Most like running their cable and dish box through them and using the movies and TV app to find shows for them.How does your Roku work with it?Never thought of that.
I used to have a life before Roku!

crassh76

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:22 pm

overtimeman wrote:
Yep I got a Revue last December when Logitech had then 20% off with free shipping.For as streaming it never was or will be a threat to Roku.But the browser is OK if the stinking flash would quit causing the unit to pop up the page saying,"aw snap something went wrong"Most like running their cable and dish box through them and using the movies and TV app to find shows for them.How does your Roku work with it?Never thought of that.

It works well. I only have basic cable that is included in my HOA fees, thats why I don't have the cable hooked up to it. With the Roku hooked up I can watch anything on it and use the PIP option and surf the net. I also run the Roku2 to the Revue to my surround sound with an optical cable and am able to utilize surround sound again since my receiver doesn't have a HDMI input. :D
Roku Premiere
Roku Stick
and a bunch of original Rokus
Wifi 35 Mbps
Plume Pods
Philips 47" LCD 1080P
Roku to TV by HDMI for A/V
Eastern Time Zone (Florida zip code 34987)

FX4

Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:23 am

Apple TV sold 3 million units last year. Google TV is a flop.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

RickRansom

Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:23 pm

The only fun thing I remember with my Logitech Revue was install a customer ROM so I coult get regular Hulu instead of Hulu+. Then the commercials hit me. I mean, I'm not against commercials and all but I found it just too much.
Restored the original software on the box and gave it away as a Christmas gift. Other than that I was using the roku, my HTPC, and PS3 for streaming - each has its own strengths. Roku is simple and easy, the HTPC is flexible and can multi-task(playing WoW while watching How I Met Your Mother on NF), and the PS3 whenever somebody else is using the main TV(my PS3 is really just a back-up streamer LoL).
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:17 pm

RickRansom wrote:
The only fun thing I remember with my Logitech Revue was install a customer ROM so I coult get regular Hulu instead of Hulu+. Then the commercials hit me. I mean, I'm not against commercials and all but I found it just too much.
Restored the original software on the box and gave it away as a Christmas gift. Other than that I was using the roku, my HTPC, and PS3 for streaming - each has its own strengths. Roku is simple and easy, the HTPC is flexible and can multi-task(playing WoW while watching How I Met Your Mother on NF), and the PS3 whenever somebody else is using the main TV(my PS3 is really just a back-up streamer LoL).

Why not just use Hulu Desktop on your HTPC for regular Hulu? http://www.hulu.com/labs/hulu-desktop
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

RickRansom

Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:08 pm

TheEndless wrote:
Why not just use Hulu Desktop on your HTPC for regular Hulu? http://www.hulu.com/labs/hulu-desktop

As for my HTPC, I guess I never made it that far with Hulu. I guess it was all for the sake of trying to "hack" the little toy(revue). I think I bought the Revue because I wanted to play with it instead of using it strictly for entertainment(either way, installing the custom ROM was entertaining). I've never been an Apple-afficionado and I always thought about the road less travelled. Well, at least somebody else is having some fun with it. LoL. The thing I really liked about the review though is the keyboard remote(or whatever you call it). Very convenient especially when browsing and searching the web for stuff.
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games