Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Melissa2011B
Topic Author

Can we get all this using our Roku, and for less money?

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:05 pm

We're pretty fed up with the abusive costs of the cable and dish providers. We presently have DirecTV and we're tired of having to pay through the nose to support sports that other people watch but we never do, for example. It's slowly crept up in price until we're now paying around $150 a month for the lineup below and it's just crazy to us.
So here's my question: Is it possible to get all this, WITH current shows, for less than this, using JUST our Roku system?

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Can we get all this using our Roku, and for less money?

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:28 pm

Melissa2011B wrote:
We're pretty fed up with the abusive costs of the cable and dish providers. We presently have DirecTV and we're tired of having to pay through the nose to support sports that other people watch but we never do, for example. It's slowly crept up in price until we're now paying around $150 a month for the lineup below and it's just crazy to us.
So here's my question: Is it possible to get all this, WITH current shows, for less than this, using JUST our Roku system?

Instead of listing what Cable Networks you watch, list what TV shows you watch often. Local channels is easy, you can get an antenna to pick those up. Technically, you don't need Roku for those. You can use Simple.TV and utilize Roku devices to stream from the Simple.tv device (it's a DVR type device). As for the stuff on cable networks, go to http://www.canistream.it/ and see if your show is on Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc. You might have to purchase season passes. Paying $50 for a season pass, commercial free, is cheaper than paying that much a month. If you really want to save money, wait for the new seasons to come out on Netflix and/or Amazon Prime. I know it's hard to wait a while to see that new episode, but that's what Cable Companies and Content Providers are hoping for.

I will say you probably will not get ALL that you have listed without paying the amount you are now in any case.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

wzwor

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:59 pm

Melissa2011B wrote:

No. To see what you can get with a Roku, visit their channels page. You can get a lot of alternative programming, though. All stuff you could get using a PC surfing the internet, but presented in a way that is better suited to tv viewing. To see what I watch, click here.

Melissa2011B wrote:
http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com/

knuckle

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:14 am

Hi Melissa,

to answer your question directly NO you can't get those channels on roku at any price -- roku doesn't work that way,it is program specific not channel specific so as other posters have stated you should make a list of your favorite shows then go to the search function on your roku to find out where they are on roku also go to http://catastrophegirlsrokuchanneldata.blogspot.com/ or http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2013/03/ ... annel.html and check out what is available in private channels that may interest you.

To give you an idea of how it works I used to sell and install satellite systems and had access to "show room" subscriptions which were pretty much what you have listed -- to purchase that same package would cost about 100 dollars on satellite -- this contains no phone or internet so if you get those bundled with your cable you need to figure out what it costs to keep those.

When I became ill and had to retire I had grown very accustomed to having all those channels but could not afford them any longer.So I took a long look at the programs that I actually do watch (and there was a ton of stuff in that package that I didn't care for) In my home now I have 4 rokus (one for each TV) off air antenna two subscriptions to netflix (each sub lets you stream to two devices at once) and one to hulu+( so far the 4 devices work fine on one sub) I use pandora I heart Radio and veevo for my music fix channels like Nowhere Tv to pick niche programs videobuzz,Ustream,dailymotion, -- the list of free private stuff especially older public domain stuff is extensive so I will stop there.I also use twonky and playto for media.

So to cut to the chase initial investment -- about 350 dollars (4 roku players and off air antenna) and an on going expense of 10 dollars added to my phone for internet,24 dollars in subscriptions (2 netflix 1 hulu) which brings my monthly bill up to 34 dollars to replace a 100 dollar satellite sub (not including any equipment fees) and I am quite satisfied.
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

Crow550

Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:43 pm

You wrote the channels down on paper and scanned it? :o

K. :?

You need to write down the shows you watch on those channels then goto like http://www.clicker.tv which tells you which online services offer that content.

Not all content will be online and on the Roku box.

If you have a decent PC you might want to consider checking out the Plex channel too. For content that is only on PC browsers.

You have to ask yourself if you can wait for some of that content to rent on disc or come on Netflix Instant or similar service or purchase at like Amazon or Vudu ($2-$3 an episode about $23ish for a season pass).

Yes you can get most content for less cash. You just have to see what you can live with.

Consider putting an Antenna up and viewing Over The Air content too. OTA TV has changed since going digital from the analog snowy, fuzzy picture days. You get many more channels.

Once you go with online programing it's all on demand. So you watch it when you want too. No watching at the times they tell you too. Unless you had a DVR lol.

You can get a DVR for OTA TV too.

Good luck!

TWoods68

Thu May 02, 2013 12:25 pm

two subscriptions to netflix (each sub lets you stream to two devices at once)

Good news! You can actually save a bit of cash on your Netflix sub now, as they have a plan that will allow you to have 4 devices streaming for $12.99, no additional sub required :-) They just announced this within the last couple of weeks so I don't know how many people are aware the option exists, or if it has been fully implemented yet.

Zundfolge

Thu May 02, 2013 2:52 pm

I'll actually answer differently than most here and give you a qualified yes.

You can't use a Roku to stream the channels the way they come from cable or satellite (that is watching the programming as its broadcast).

First you have to get away from the concept of "live channels" and start thinking in terms of content. Think of shows as individual "on demand" channels.

Anyway, MOST of the programming you're getting now can be had one way or another via streaming HOWEVER to get it all and get it current will require you to use some software/services that are less than 100% legal. No, I'm not going to tell you exactly how to do that here but some judicious Googling on your part and you should be able to dig up the hows, whats and wheres.

As for how the Roku plays into this, it acts as the conduit between your TV and a combination of the internet and another computer on your home network.

Frankly with the combination of Netflix and a couple other free channels on Roku and my over-the-air antennas I'm able to get enough to watch to keep me happy ... and all I'm paying is $8/mo for Netflix and about $20/mo more for a faster DSL line than I would have otherwise needed (I'm running a 12mbit DSL and am able to stream to two Rokus at a time while surfing on two computers and I haven't had any lag or loading problems).

The only thing you'll be missing is some live sports (if that's your thing) and live 24 hour cable news (and you can keep yourself informed by reading the cable news' web sites).

Giancarlo

Mon May 06, 2013 5:32 pm

Well, I do think yes. I thought I would be frustrated with not finding the shows I wanted, but I have managed to find my favorite ones posted on the internet through A&E and History Channel (Okay I admit I do like watching American pickers lol).

Roku provides a ton of other content for me, specifically through Hulu Plus where some of my other favorite shows are located. Streaming through my computer or television is what I do now. And what was I paying for TV before? I had AT&T UVerse Latino 250... it was costing me around $80 month. A total and utter rip off.

I also combine my Roku box with a MOHU Leaf Antenna which picks up all the local channels in high definition and some other obscure ones. For those who still want local programming, check out a Mohu... it's a fantastic antenna that works well even during a rain storm. WAy better than those $10 antennas you buy in a store. I picked up something like 100 channels (local HD and SD 480i channels).

I watch most programming on my Roku, but every now and then i do use my HD Antenna.

I will NEVER pay a DIME to AT&T, Time Warner or any cable company for television again. I did at one point consider Satellite TV as it is cheaper, but that's not available on my apartment building (they won't let me get it).

wzwor

Mon May 06, 2013 5:46 pm

Melissa2011B wrote:

Giancarlo wrote:
Well, I do think yes. I thought I would be frustrated with not finding the shows I wanted, but I have managed to find my favorite ones posted on the internet through A&E and History Channel (Okay I admit I do like watching American pickers lol).

She wants to JUST use the Roku not search for content on a PC. The answer is no.

Giancarlo

Mon May 06, 2013 7:44 pm

The answer is yes. Why do I insist on that? I have to make a correction to my post. I watch a lot of the content through my Roku Box on a channel called Plex. Plex isn't perfect, but it works pretty well. There is another channel that isn't discussed on this forum because of legal issues... so I won't mention it.

Plex avoids the need to search on the PC for the content.

The answer is still yes from me.

wzwor

Mon May 06, 2013 7:50 pm

JUST Roku vs Roku plus a server plus Plex. Glad you are happy, but it's best to answer the question asked -- especially with newcomers. One of the huge problems with the Roku is hype. If someone orders a Roku expecting to plug it in and replace their premium service, they will be disappointed.

Giancarlo

Mon May 06, 2013 9:45 pm

What an attitude. I answered the question to my ability and I feel as if it is a highly effective replacement. It's not about hype. I have my opinions and I am highly satisfied with it as a replacement for cable. Extremely satisfied.

Basil

Mon May 06, 2013 11:14 pm

Giancarlo wrote:
What an attitude. I answered the question to my ability and I feel as if it is a highly effective replacement. It's not about hype. I have my opinions and I am highly satisfied with it as a replacement for cable. Extremely satisfied.

To me, there's a huge difference between running a Roku and running a Roku in conjunction with a server. If you dedicate a computer to running Plex (or some other server) then the extra expense is great. If you leverage an existing laptop, then the Roku is crippled if the laptop owner actually takes the laptop somewhere (what laptops were built to do). If the laptop is on-site, or if you leverage a desktop, then you're sharing resources and that can cause performance issues.

In all instances, using a Roku plus a computer has a cost. Although I could be wrong, I think the OP was asking about using Roku, and Roku alone. So, I have to agree with wzwor that the answer is no. But, I would say that your suggestion of adding Plex (or other server) is good additional information for the OP.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

wzwor

Tue May 07, 2013 3:00 am

Basil wrote:
In all instances, using a Roku plus a computer has a cost. Although I could be wrong, I think the OP was asking about using Roku, and Roku alone. So, I have to agree with wzwor that the answer is no. But, I would say that your suggestion of adding Plex (or other server) is good additional information for the OP.

There is also a technical aspect. Plex is not something that everyone is willing and able to support.

Giancarlo

Tue May 07, 2013 5:35 pm

Basil wrote:
Giancarlo wrote:

To me, there's a huge difference between running a Roku and running a Roku in conjunction with a server. If you dedicate a computer to running Plex (or some other server) then the extra expense is great. If you leverage an existing laptop, then the Roku is crippled if the laptop owner actually takes the laptop somewhere (what laptops were built to do). If the laptop is on-site, or if you leverage a desktop, then you're sharing resources and that can cause performance issues.

No. The answer is a yes and I will continue to stand by it.

I am not saying Plex is an end all. And it's not perfect, but there is plenty on Roku that provides either replacements or great alternatives to programming on television. So the answer is a YES. And will remain a YES from my perspective even without plex.