Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mkiker2089
Topic Author

Need a media server, suggestins

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:22 pm

The only thing I can find is the WD Hub which is nice. Here's what I want; low power, DLNA, decent storage with USB expansion a plus. That's pretty much it. I don't like the media server built into my router because it's a bit slow and takes forever to update every time the router reboots. I could build one out of an old PC but the power usage of the parts I have, and the size, are less than ideal.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Need a media server, suggestins

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:51 pm

What's your budget?

I have one of these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KT ... UTF8&psc=1) that I bought two years ago, running Windows Home Server 2011, hosting 15TB of storage (7TB internal, 8TB via external eSATA RAID for backup), and I absolutely love it. It doesn't look like they're made anymore, but a quick search on eBay turned up a few for considerably less than I originally paid.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

dupondt

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:59 am

mkiker2089,

QNAP's TS-119P II (1-Bay, 7W in operation with HDD) and TS-219P II (2-Bay, 16W in operation with 2 HHD) offer very good performance and quality.

Netgear's ReadyNAS Duo v2 (2-Bay) is more affordable but tends to be slower that QNAP's boxes.

The very affordable Raspberry Pi running SqueezePlug is a very good media server if you don't mind the fact that you can only attach external USB drives.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

mkiker2089
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:42 pm

I want the budget as low as possible because all I want it to do is be a server. The WD Hub is actually a decent price but I can't help but think would it be cheaper if they stripped Netflix and such off of it. I've considered a R-Pi.

I've ordered one of these since I found an open box item on ebay for 40 dollars total. I hope it works decently but I figured if not having a Wireless USB hub could come in handy anway, or I'll sell it. http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2009/09/17/ ... na-server/ People have complained about it's print sharing and such but I won't use it for that. Just as a NAS HD to manage the content and DLNA to play it. Hopefully Chaneru will like it for the Roku and they promise that the PS3 will find it. If that doesn't work well I'll have to rethink.

External versus internal doesn't really matter. Being able to add external is nice of course but external drives are cheap enough. I have a puny 320gb now that I plan on using short term. If I get serious and convert all my discs however that space may run out.

I've noticed that the PS3 and Roku like the same file types so I've made all my files as such. I don't need to transcode them, just let the Roku see them somehow and play them.
-Marshall-

mkiker2089
Topic Author

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:01 pm

The search continues. The media base is crap. Belkin has a new company moto and that is that advanced features are bad. Even their new routers lack some of the most basic controls. This device has no real set up. you have to visit it's IP address (good luck if you wanted to use it wireless or have other network issues as it has to connect blind before you can see it) and then it's just reboot or disable options. There's no technical support, nothing about proper folder strutures (folder.jpg doesn't work for example and videos are subfoldered improperly) etc... Also the Roku doesn't like it. It will play movies on other devices but the Roku can't get in.

Do I need to expand my budget and get a media server with beef to it? I can if I can justify the usage of it. A media server even combined with local back up options just feels like I'm not being frugal. However I'd rather pay more than waste another 40 dollars on something cheap.
-Marshall-

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:14 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
Belkin has a new company moto and that is that advanced features are bad.

Ugh, well, Belkin owns Linksys now, so no more Linksys routers for me, then.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

mkiker2089
Topic Author

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:49 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
mkiker2089 wrote:
Belkin has a new company moto and that is that advanced features are bad.

Ugh, well, Belkin owns Linksys now, so no more Linksys routers for me, then.

Unfortunately I did manage to talk to level 2 tech support and he confirmed that. I wanted to set IP reservations in the router for certain devices. I think you should do it in the router to prevent conflicts if I forget that I've assigned that IP already. Not only did they remove that feature the router doesn't list items that manually asked for an IP. I had to install a network scanner on my tablet to see what is connected. This seems a major security risk but as most people use DHCP they removed all features and just let the software do it's thing.

Roku makes things simple because they can make it work. Belkin makes things simple because they assume their customers are idiots and will mess things up.
-Marshall-

BoloMKXXVIII

Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:10 am

Might want to find a router compatible with:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index
or
http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.