Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
__5
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 1284
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:51 pm

Sony 4K media player

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:39 pm

 
User avatar
aaronwt
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Washington, D.C. area

Re: Sony 4K media player

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Not likely. So the 4K media player is only $700, but a decent size UHD TV will still cost over $18k. Even if that price is cut in half to $9k in 2014, that is still alot for only an 84" TV.
TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2016 Ultra
53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
 
stratcat96
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 3432
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm
Location: Ice Planet Hoth
Contact:

Re: Sony 4K media player

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:45 pm

does anyone even pay attention when Sony releases anything other than a new Playstation?
 
__5
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 1284
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:51 pm

Re: Sony 4K media player

Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:53 pm

aaronwt wrote:
Not likely. So the 4K media player is only $700, but a decent size UHD TV will still cost over $18k. Even if that price is cut in half to $9k in 2014, that is still alot for only an 84" TV.



Sony's 55-inch and 65-inch 4K LED TVs available April 21st (2013) for $4,999 and $6,999.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/7/419431 ... lease-date

let’s see how fast these prices will drop by this time of next year? :)


Btw, Panasonic has already pulled the plug on Plasma TVs R&D.
 
mkiker2089
Posts: 2810
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: Sony 4K media player

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:50 pm

In theory 4k TVs will drop FAST, and I mean FAST in price if people start buying them. The theory is based on the fact that it isn't any harder to make a 4k TV than it is to make a 1080. they just put 4 1080 panels together basically and used software to send the data to the correct points. Hence if the demand increases the production can be ramped up with no major changes to the assembly lines already in place.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
 
User avatar
aaronwt
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Washington, D.C. area

Re: Sony 4K media player

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:25 pm

__5 wrote:
aaronwt wrote:
Not likely. So the 4K media player is only $700, but a decent size UHD TV will still cost over $18k. Even if that price is cut in half to $9k in 2014, that is still alot for only an 84" TV.



Sony's 55-inch and 65-inch 4K LED TVs available April 21st (2013) for $4,999 and $6,999.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/7/419431 ... lease-date

let’s see how fast these prices will drop by this time of next year? :)


Btw, Panasonic has already pulled the plug on Plasma TVs R&D.

But at those sizes you need to be only a few feet away to see the difference between the current 2K sets and the 4K sets. When most people sit much farther away, then why spend $5K for a 4K 55 inch set when you could pay $1k for a 2k 55 inch set?

At least the 84" 4K set is larger, but you still need to sit fairly close to see the difference. Just not as close as the smaller sets.
TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2016 Ultra
53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
 
__5
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 1284
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:51 pm

Re: Sony 4K media player

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:48 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
In theory 4k TVs will drop FAST, and I mean FAST in price if people start buying them. The theory is based on the fact that it isn't any harder to make a 4k TV than it is to make a 1080. they just put 4 1080 panels together basically and used software to send the data to the correct points. Hence if the demand increases the production can be ramped up with no major changes to the assembly lines already in place.


+1

I thing so too. Especially since TV manufacturer are looking to regain sales. Super High resolution & mega super HD seem always impressive to consumers. :)
 
__5
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 1284
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:51 pm

Re: Sony 4K media player

Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:00 pm

aaronwt wrote:
__5 wrote:
aaronwt wrote:
Not likely. So the 4K media player is only $700, but a decent size UHD TV will still cost over $18k. Even if that price is cut in half to $9k in 2014, that is still alot for only an 84" TV.



Sony's 55-inch and 65-inch 4K LED TVs available April 21st (2013) for $4,999 and $6,999.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/7/419431 ... lease-date

let’s see how fast these prices will drop by this time of next year? :)


Btw, Panasonic has already pulled the plug on Plasma TVs R&D.

But at those sizes you need to be only a few feet away to see the difference between the current 2K sets and the 4K sets. When most people sit much farther away, then why spend $5K for a 4K 55 inch set when you could pay $1k for a 2k 55 inch set?

At least the 84" 4K set is larger, but you still need to sit fairly close to see the difference. Just not as close as the smaller sets.



Well, maybe. I haven’t seen 4k native content on a 4k TV yet, but I got the feeling at those sizes & been few feet away or not, viewing will be noticeably different from the current models, if not wow.

Keep in mind, these are next week prices; I was wondering what will 2014 summer prices be? A couple of yeas ago many consumers insisting on getting 1080p (vs 720p for half price) regardless of how far viewing will be. So, I thing once the 4k word is out & prices start to drop, people in the market (or not) for new TV got new decisions to make. I know i won’t buy new TVs before I see where the 4K are going? & maybe you too? :)

As long as the 4k contents are available, the Sony 4k player comes with 10 titles not much to start with, but I remember their first BD player came with only one title.


I’ve been keeping with apple iTV rumor hoping someday I’ll just have a TV in each room w/ few airplay speakers around (no more HTS). But if apple iTV comes in 1080p (& ignores 4K like they ignored BDP) while the market start to adapt the 4k, I guess I’ll go for 4k.
 
mkiker2089
Posts: 2810
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: Sony 4K media player

Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:42 pm

Here's the thing, I didn't think 4k would take off because the content issue. I was wrong and I'll tell you why. How do people shop for TVs, they stand RIGHT IN FRONT of them. Too close, I keep telling them to step back even but they won't do it. They want to use a magnifying glass and look at the pixels even. An image clean enough on a 1080 display to look at up close will with current technology look soft and washed out from a distance. It's like zooming in on a photo. People don't need 4k but will get it because it looks better at the store.

You don't need 240hz but people insist on it. You don't need 1080 in many cases (to a lesser extent) but people still insisted on it. People will insist on 4k when a- they see them and b- the price reaches a good threshold such as perhaps +50-75% over 1080. Depending on the screen size 4k is a significant improvement. Getting 4k content is the next battle.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.
 
__5
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author
Posts: 1284
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:51 pm

Re: Sony 4K media player

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:27 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:
Here's the thing, I didn't think 4k would take off because the content issue. I was wrong and I'll tell you why. How do people shop for TVs, they stand RIGHT IN FRONT of them. Too close, I keep telling them to step back even but they won't do it. They want to use a magnifying glass and look at the pixels even. An image clean enough on a 1080 display to look at up close will with current technology look soft and washed out from a distance. It's like zooming in on a photo. People don't need 4k but will get it because it looks better at the store.

You don't need 240hz but people insist on it. You don't need 1080 in many cases (to a lesser extent) but people still insisted on it. People will insist on 4k when a- they see them and b- the price reaches a good threshold such as perhaps +50-75% over 1080. Depending on the screen size 4k is a significant improvement. Getting 4k content is the next battle.



Yep. 4k is a significant improvement and people will experience the same scenario as they did w/1080. this time 4k sounds rich :D (& not like 3D were people need to wear glass) I think is ganna speak for it self.
I used to stand far, look & compare 720 to108 and I’d say I don’t see any deference then wait for the rep to say you need to get too close to see the pixels…. :)

So, if (next week) starting price of 55” is $5k maybe it’ll drop to $3K or less by Xmas & I won’t be surprised if comes to $2K or less by summer of 2014, by then retailers may only display 4k TVs.

As far as 4k contents, I think there will be plenty of it by next year. Look at vudu if it wasn’t for their HDX. There is always a demand for real HD. I’m sure 4k digital copies will be available sooner than later (for a price). UltraViolet and cloud storage services are just getting started.
 
BoloMKXXVIII
Posts: 1086
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:00 am
Location: On or near Earth

Re: Sony 4K media player

Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:06 am

It will be a long time before there will be a lot of 4k content. Look at what is available today. Much of the content is still in SD. That being said, I am glad 4k is here. 1080p bluerays upscaled to a 4k tv will look better than on a straight 1080p monitor. This will only matter on truly huge TVs but I already know someone with a HDTV larger than 100 inches. Blueray looks like ~!@#$% unless you are sitting on the far side of the room (big room).
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.
 
User avatar
aaronwt
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:01 pm
Location: Washington, D.C. area

Re: Sony 4K media player

Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:21 pm

You can get a 55" 4K TV( UHD 3840 x 2160) from TigerDirect today for $1299.
Some offbrand called SEIKI.

I went 1080p in 2005 with my first DLP(61") set when I upgraded from my 2001 1080i RP CRT set(57") . I could easily see the difference between 720P and 1080p back then and can still today. Although it was plasma 720P sets that were the worst. i only see pixels when I look at those Tvs. Anyway I spent way too much on that Tv back in 2005,( like $4k with the extended warranty) and swore I would never spend that much on a TV again. Besides I need something larger than my current 82" DLP set(which was only $1500). I will not get a 4K set until I can get at least a 90 inch set for a decent price.
TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2016 Ultra
53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
 
mkiker2089
Posts: 2810
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Re: Sony 4K media player

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:27 pm

Seiki's are good. It's a smaller company that has them assembled at the same plants that the majors do with "extra" parts from the majors. I've had one for years.
-Marshall-

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I wasn't there,
and if I was there, I was asleep.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests