Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TomAllyn
Topic Author

DVR That Works With Roku

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:57 pm

Please forgive me if I put this in the wrong forum. I'm new to this forum stuff. I have used the search function, but I may not be good at that either.

I've been searching the web for information on DVR's that will work with my new Roku 4. I'm a 53-year-old who isn't very tech savvy. I'm loving the Roku and have found ways to watch most of the shows and some great new ones and movies too via the Roku. However, after reading about solutions for DVR that will interface with Roku I'm lost. I just want any easy means to be able to watch live TV programs so I can watch them according to my schedule later like I used to be able to do with the Xfinity X1 box I used to have.

Any assistance and suggestions will be very appreciated!

DubTaylor

Re: DVR That Works With Roku

Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:34 pm

You can't use a DVR with Roku... well you can, but it isn't easy, pretty or recommended. The only 'Live' programming you will find is some local news apps and at least two of the big name apps like 'Sling TV' and very recently 'Play Station Vue'. Sling has extremely limited 'on demand' services (for watching programming after air-time) PSV is probably limited as well, perhaps not to the same degree as STV. The painful aspect of either (all) of these services is that if you've gotten used to recording and fast forwarding through advertising - you can forget that. These two 'Live TV' services have you strapped in, trapped like a Rat, shaved bald with the electrodes wired into your skull so they can pipe advertising directly into your brain - and you can pay for it. Sounds sweet, eh?

Most of what you'll be watching through your Roku will be 'On Demand' via a streaming service like Netflix or Amazon Prime. You will be at the mercy of their streaming library of titles that can and often does change when you least expect it.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but.... it's a buyer beware world we live in...

If you still have that Antenna on the roof I wouldn't take it down any time soon and if you don't have an antenna on the roof (or inside somewhere clever - like an attic) I'd recommend, in the strongest terms possible, that you make arrangements to have one installed very soon. Your DVR can perhaps still provide some service... depending on the DVR I suppose.

Hearme2

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:01 pm

I know of 1 way-to "save" ROKU output...not really DVR, but recording.
If you have a table-top DVD recorder, one can purchase an adapter that changes HDMI to either component or composite, i.e.: whichever input is available on you recorder.
Pluger into your recorder and burn DVDs to your heart's content.

BoloMKXXVIII

Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:38 am

Not sure if you are asking to record shows that are watched through the Roku or if you want a DVR to record OTA programs then watch them on the Roku. If it is the later, see: https://www.tablotv.com/
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

arow900

Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:33 pm

TomAllyn wrote:
Please forgive me if I put this in the wrong forum. I'm new to this forum stuff. I have used the search function, but I may not be good at that either.

I've been searching the web for information on DVR's that will work with my new Roku 4. I'm a 53-year-old who isn't very tech savvy. I'm loving the Roku and have found ways to watch most of the shows and some great new ones and movies too via the Roku. However, after reading about solutions for DVR that will interface with Roku I'm lost. I just want any easy means to be able to watch live TV programs so I can watch them according to my schedule later like I used to be able to do with the Xfinity X1 box I used to have.

Any assistance and suggestions will be very appreciated!

That should be roku's next project. I REALLY miss my dvr. I believe roku could take over as a great service with a dvr . I might be in wishful thinking mode.
I can't complain . Roku has saved me a ton of $$$$$$$

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:59 pm

Thing is, Roku's partners don't WANT you to record their stuff. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc (anyone who offers a "all you can eat" per month subscription), are all meant to be streaming "rentals", not permanent copies for your collection..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

mikebdoss

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:21 am

jeffrok wrote:
Thing is, Roku's partners don't WANT you to record their stuff. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc (anyone who offers a "all you can eat" per month subscription), are all meant to be streaming "rentals", not permanent copies for your collection..

Exactly. The whole reason that media companies have graciously allowed us to stream (at the prices we stream) is because we can't record. That's written into all the streaming deals.

Of course anytime there's an output there's risk of being able to copy, but Roku can't put in a recorder and be on good terms with these companies.

trekkeriii

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:54 am

Roku's owners have been in the DVR business before (ReplayTV). They failed, so likely they don't want to be in it again (considering all the legal issues they dealt with). DVR is being phased out anyways with VOD.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

anamandy

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:56 pm

I have a Magnavox dvr/dvd player (not recorder).  I just purchased Roku. I just want to be able to record on to the hard drive of the dvr to watch programs later. That's not possible?  My recorder has hdmi ports and usb ports.  Any info appreciated.  Thanks.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Tue May 01, 2018 1:46 am

3-year old thread.  Locked.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan