Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

renojim
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Spam is getting ridiculous

Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:54 pm

Seriously, there's nothing that can be done to keep new members from creating a multitude of new threads with nothing more than a link?  I know it's not an easy problem, but how about not going out of the way to make it easy?  There's no reason a new user should be able to include a link in a thread and no reason any user should be able to create more than one or two new topics a day.  I thought the big forum remodel was supposed to address this?  I guess all the time went into making sure it causes eye hemorrhages with the ridiculous color scheme.  :evil:

-JT

startreksteve

Re: Spam is getting ridiculous

Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:15 am

+1
Its worse than the old software ever was, is there a mod for the website?
If Roku mods want to make me a mod of the website, Im on every morning, 8:30 GMT, I could purge this garbage in 5 minutes.

Steve
Roku 3, Roku LT & Roku 1, Kodi running on Raspberry Pi 2, Plex Server.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:45 am

For some reason, I failed Monday to delete the weekend spam, as well as the Monday spam, so we had an insane amount of backlog to deal with.

We had a system in place before the upgrade to the forums that helped, but it wasn't altogether foolproof (and caused some frustration with legitimate users).  The web team is looking to do some backend stuff in the next week or two which may help, and there are a few things I personally want to do as well to help stop the influx.  Unfortunately, phpBB being more or less open source is never going to completely stop the spam.  As fast as new versions appear, spambot creators will have solutions almost right away.  With higher traffic boards, there's never going to be enough security to completely negate it.

The problem with limiting links and/or posts is something we've come up against before.  In one of the first upgrades, we limited responses, and that caused a lot of issues for people in the Developer's forum (which by necessity needs to include links, and it's something that as far as I know can't be done on a per-forum basis without extensive modding).  It puts too much of a burden on the user base to limit them like that, so we decided to get rid of that and just "deal" with the spam.  And as the BULK of the spam ends up on the Off-Topic forum, I'm not too worried about it.  I'd much rather the spam be limited to here than to trickle into the other forums, which is how it's currently working to our advantage.  And something I've argued in the past when the spam was MUCH more prevalent.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

startreksteve

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:04 am

What ever happened to microsoft's revolutionary Anti-spam measures?

trekkeriii

Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:48 am

startreksteve wrote:
What ever happened to microsoft's revolutionary Anti-spam measures?

Hawaii objected.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

atc98092

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:35 am

Shawn, there must be something they can add to block automated account creation. It's been so long since I joined I don't remember the steps, but shouldn't a combination of a capcha and a secondary response to an authentic email be enough to block this spam? In the Off topic area it is getting extremely ridiculous, and it even reaches into the main forum far too often.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:38 pm

The Captchas don't work as well as they are meant to (and to be honest, never have ... I've been working with phpBB forums for nearly 18 years now, and I've always been dissatisfied with them and have instituted my own security measures on my personal forums ... can't do so in this environment, due to the large-scale nature of this site, as well as its audience).  The web team is likely to be doing some upgrades in the next week or two, and I'm communicating with them regarding the spam issues.  I'm going to try to get installed our last security measure (which was the "place things in a particular category" style measure).  While it didn't work 100%, and it frustrated a lot of users, it was more or less effective in culling the amount of spam.

Part of the other problem in reducing the amount of spam is that I've been pulling double-duties for the past six months or so, but that should clear up by next week and I'll be spending more time here.  We just have to be a little patient until all of this comes to fruition.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Rcosta

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:44 pm

@All,

I realize that the spam is a problem of this forum. Please give our forum manager a little slack. As many of you may not know that this forum is not his only responsibility. In my opinion, he truly cares about this forum and the exchange of information that is shared on this forum making Roku a stronger and better product.

Granted, spam is an inconvenience for us all. One of my tasks many days of the week is to log into this forum and seek out and tag spam.  I am trying to do my part as a forum user. Please understand from what I know about our Forum manager, he is actively looking at options working with the IT team to minimize the spam on this forum. If you go to other company's forums, they are as plagued with spam as this forum is.  All I can say, is to give our forum manager a little time to resolve this issue.
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD

atc98092

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:21 pm

I'm not harping on Shawn. He's a great asset on the forums. I appreciate the info he just gave up about updates, and I hope they work out in all our favors.  8)
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

DubTaylor

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Rcosta wrote:
@All,

All I can say, is to give our forum manager a little time to resolve this issue.

It's been this way for at least 3 years and the answer is always: "Don't use 'New Posts' when viewing."

Nothing is going to change. Roku Forums is a spammer friendly environment. Always has been and I predict always will be. The promises to address the issue always come, but nothing much ever really happens. For something meaningful to happen it's going to take some 'restrictive actions' for new posters to be implemented and by this time it's quite clear that's just not going to happen.

The answer is: "Don't use 'New Posts' when viewing Roku Forums" - or just wade through the spam until the moderator gets around to deleting it. Your hard work at 'marking spam' is noble, but I'm sure the moderator is highly trained in the art of finding the spam that's on his forum every time he comes here and since he's the only one that ever deletes it nothing is going away until he does get here.

It's Roku Forums. It's a normal day in the neighborhood.

Rcosta

Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:56 pm

DubTaylor wrote:
Rcosta wrote:
@All,

All I can say, is to give our forum manager a little time to resolve this issue.

It's been this way for at least 3 years and the answer is always: "Don't use 'New Posts' when viewing."

Nothing is going to change. Roku Forums is a spammer friendly environment. Always has been and I predict always will be. The promises to address the issue always come, but nothing much ever really happens. For something meaningful to happen it's going to take some 'restrictive actions' for new posters to be implemented and by this time it's quite clear that's just not going to happen.

The answer is: "Don't use 'New Posts' when viewing Roku Forums" - or just wade through the spam until the moderator gets around to deleting it. Your hard work at 'marking spam' is noble, but I'm sure the moderator is highly trained in the art of finding the spam that's on his forum every time he comes here and since he's the only one that ever deletes it nothing is going away until he does get here.

It's Roku Forums. It's a normal day in the neighborhood.

@Dubtaylor. Let's give our forum manager a chance. I have only been on these forums for a couple of years, so you may have more history than I do, but I am willing to give C. Shawn Smith the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully he will give us updates to quell any doubt. We will see!
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB

jeffrok

Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:45 pm

How about enlisting other moderators whose sole job is to check for spam? Going 24 to 48 hours without a moderator checking in is a little extreme. Just ask for trustworthy volunteers..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

startreksteve

Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:00 am

Already volunteered...

mikebdoss

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:24 pm

I thought there had been discussions once about deputizing some regular users to fight spam. I'd be happy to contribute. 

Rcosta

Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:19 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
I thought there had been discussions once about deputizing some regular users to fight spam. I'd be happy to contribute. 

Me too! Sign me up!
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB