Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
hollandpeter
Topic Author
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:15 pm

Watching recorded TV?

Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:19 pm

Hi, I'm new to all this and am requesting some help. I have a Sony Vaio running media edition 2004. It records TV in a ".dvr-ms" format. Is there anyway I can get the Roku to play these files?
Thanks for any help.
Peter
 
sjhutton
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:31 pm

ATI HDTV Wonder

Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:34 pm

I have a similar interest as I'm considering buying the ATI HDTV Wonder to capture over the air TV transmissions and store them on my hard drive for some 'time-shifting'. I think I'd need to convert to MPEG as the ATI card uses its own proprietary format I think..... any comments or experience that I can learn from?

Thanks!
Last edited by sjhutton on Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
marcelo3d
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Contact:

Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:03 pm

hollandpeter,
dvr-ms is a Microsoft proprietary format. If youconvert the files to MPEG2, they will probably play on the HD1000.

sjhutton,
I don't have an HDTVBlunder, but if they save the files in TransportStream format, then MPlay of the Roku player will play them.
I'd recommend buying a MyHD 120 or a Fusion HDTV card, that have more support and are proven to work with the HD100. I have an old MyHD 100 myself.

M.-
 
hollandpeter
Topic Author
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:15 pm

Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:37 pm

Thanks for your reply! Can you suggest a program that will convert from.dvr-ms to the "right kind" of MPEG2?
Peter
 
marcelo3d
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Contact:

Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:27 pm

Try DVR-Edit or DVR-Ripper.
http://www.thegreenbutton.com/downloads.aspx
I don't have MCE, so I don't know how well they work.

M.-
 
mgsb
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:16 pm

dvr-ms support?

Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:12 pm

marcelo3d wrote:
Try DVR-Edit or DVR-Ripper.
http://www.thegreenbutton.com/downloads.aspx
I don't have MCE, so I don't know how well they work.

M.-


dvr-edit does not actually do dvr-ms to mpg conversion :? dvr-ripper requires a $60 directshow mpeg filter (xmuxer).

Is there any chance that mplay (or roku cascade) could be extended to support dvr-ms? From what I have read, dvr-ms is just a mpeg ts (or ps?) with some extra meta-data added. This should mean that it does not need any transcoding, "just" some stream parsing. Or is this harder than I realize?
Mark
 
dgburns
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:37 am

Re: dvr-ms support?

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:46 am

mgsb wrote:
Or is this harder than I realize?


Can you play the files in VLC player? If so, you can stream them out to "standard" TS files...

Converting to TS with VLC:
--------------------------
(by TheEndless)
Select File | Open File...
Click Browse... on the File tab and select the AVI you want to convert.
Check Stream output at the bottom of the Open... dialog
Click Settings...
On the Stream output dialog, check File and enter a filename for the TS
Select MPEG TS under Encapsulation Method
Check Video Codec and select mp2v
Set the video codec Bitrate to 3072, Scale to 1
Check Audio Codec and select mpga
Set the audio codec Bitrate to 192
Click OK to close the Stream output dialog
Click OK to close the Open... dialog
Let VLC do its thing...
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2
 
mgsb
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:16 pm

Re: dvr-ms support?

Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:29 pm

dgburns wrote:
mgsb wrote:
Or is this harder than I realize?


Can you play the files in VLC player? If so, you can stream them out to "standard" TS files...

Converting to TS with VLC:
--------------------------
(by TheEndless)
Select File | Open File...

Let VLC do its thing...


VLC would not play the dvr-ms files. However, I did find an alternative:
http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community ... eID=113435
DVRMSToolbox converts the dvr-ms to mpeg format. I was able to convert a 2 hour dvr-ms file into a mpeg file in ~ 5 min. The original dvr-ms file was 4847KB while the new mpeg file is 4356KB. Mplay happily played the mpeg file.

It would stil be nice if mplay or roku would play dvr-ms natively. :D
Mark
 
marcelo3d
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:20 pm
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Contact:

Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:41 pm

dvr-ms seems to be an asf-encapsulated MPEG2 stream.
ffmpeg knows how to demux it, so it is doable.
The thing is that I don't have the time to get this to work.
For now, you may have to settle for the 5-min conversion.
M.-
 
soiaf
Posts: 785
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:19 am

Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:39 am

I wrote some code to parse the ASF structure as part of my WMA tag parsing code. I just did a run of it against a dvr-ms file and it was able to find the data as expected.
I might have a look at this over the weekend and see if I can get it to properly extract the data - though I have no idea how the extracted data itself should look :wink:
 
mgsb
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:16 pm

Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:21 pm

Thanks, marcelo3d and soiaf, for taking a look at this. This would be another great feature for the pb to support this file format. I understand it may be a while before we see it.
Mark
 
dgburns
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:37 am

Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:36 pm

VLC can be setup to use ffmpeg as it's decoder? And should hence be able to stream out to any supported format?

Ah...I sure wish I could get TheaterSix to work.........
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2
 
kklier
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:48 am

Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:40 pm

dgburns wrote:
VLC can be setup to use ffmpeg as it's decoder? And should hence be able to stream out to any supported format?

Ah...I sure wish I could get TheaterSix to work.........


Does anyone have the Roku VLC sw? It does not appear to be available anymore from the original developer.
 
User avatar
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 9231
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am
Location: US
Contact:

Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:37 am

kklier wrote:
dgburns wrote:
VLC can be setup to use ffmpeg as it's decoder? And should hence be able to stream out to any supported format?

Ah...I sure wish I could get TheaterSix to work.........


Does anyone have the Roku VLC sw? It does not appear to be available anymore from the original developer.

HexRadio uses the Roku version of VLC, so you could get it from that distribution. I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with it if you're planning on doing video, though.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
 
kklier
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:48 am

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:10 am

TheEndless wrote:
kklier wrote:
dgburns wrote:
VLC can be setup to use ffmpeg as it's decoder? And should hence be able to stream out to any supported format?

Ah...I sure wish I could get TheaterSix to work.........


Does anyone have the Roku VLC sw? It does not appear to be available anymore from the original developer.

HexRadio uses the Roku version of VLC, so you could get it from that distribution. I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with it if you're planning on doing video, though.

TheEndless


VLC does not seem to be the complete distribution.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests