Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

catvation

Upgrade worked.

Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:05 pm

I reformatted my CF card and was able to get it to work after that.

So, I guess ignore my previous post. I do think a non-CF way to upgrade 1.5.x would be great for the majority of your users, however, wasn't something easily done if you don't use CF with your consumer equipment.

jimre

Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:22 pm

This has ALWAYS been a limitation of the HD1000. If you have lots of folders containing media, then FOUR is the max. # of apps you can see/use. If you get rid of all the media files on that share and have just apps - then it's supposed to be able to display up to 12. So if you want more than 4 apps, it's best to have separate shares for apps and media files.

See this thread, for instance.

In that thread, RokuPatrick said this limit would be removed in the "next release" - presumably that meant the 2.0 release. But I haven't seen it implemented yet, nor is it explicitly listed in the Release Notes as a planned 2.0 feature. So where are we with this one?

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: How to view more than 4 apps?

Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:23 pm

cshotton wrote:
The upgrade went smoothly over the net. But my network share has about 10 apps on it and only 4 show (says 10 applications, viewing 4). Am I completely clueless or is there no way to reach these addtional 6 apps? I can't get the display to page or scroll to the apps not being shown and the viewing area doesn't scale to show more than 4.

I have checked permissions on the server and all of the folders have identical permissions, as do their contents. Is this normal or am I now hosed?

Currently, only 12 items can be seen on screen at once. If you have images and other media on the same share as your applications, you'll be limited to only 4 in the view. The best thing to do is to set up a separate share for you applications, then you can have up to 12. Hopefully they'll be fixing this one soon.

TheEndless

vs

Ximeta vs Linksys NAS

Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:40 pm

I completely understand the value in developing a Ximeta driver for the PB, however, how many users actually have (or will go out and buy) a Ximeta network drive?

I'm contemplating a Linksys 250gig NAS. Apart from cost, can anyone suggest reasons for or against either solution?

Would be interesting to see what kind of NAS solutions Roku users have...

Donald

Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:03 pm

vs wrote:
Apart from cost, can anyone suggest reasons for or against either solution?

Size.

I've banned torso sized compumatic machines from my home.

But still cost! The NDAS allows me twice the storage for half the price and half the space (as it should be).

Donald

ChrisF

Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:39 am

Ok, after the love fest, here's my problems so far:

1) I am alble to see and play all of my dvd rip folders on the Netdisk with Mplay. When I use the standard viewer to try and play the contents of the movie folder, the media viewer doesn't see the DVD files and cant' play them. This is with one exception as noted in my last post: the one directory that has a "default.pls" file. What is this file?

2) I just tried to open a folder with 182 7.1MP images. It slowly thumbnailed the first 7 or so, then it choked and freezed. Is this a memory limitation?

3) Same thing with music (7600+ MP3 files). When it scans the root MP3 folder, it chokes for what seems like an eternity then finally is able to see all the songs.

4) General performance when handling large quantities of of media files on my box is not acceptable. My guess is the only 28MB available on my rev 1 box.

RokuDave

Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:21 am

ChrisF wrote:
Does the Ximeta Driver support access over the network and/or direct USB connection?

Sorry Chris, the Ximeta driver will be network only for the forseeable future.

Dave

TheEndless

Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:50 am

ChrisF wrote:
Ok, after the love fest, here's my problems so far:

1) I am alble to see and play all of my dvd rip folders on the Netdisk with Mplay. When I use the standard viewer to try and play the contents of the movie folder, the media viewer doesn't see the DVD files and cant' play them. This is with one exception as noted in my last post: the one directory that has a "default.pls" file. What is this file?

2) I just tried to open a folder with 182 7.1MP images. It slowly thumbnailed the first 7 or so, then it choked and freezed. Is this a memory limitation?

3) Same thing with music (7600+ MP3 files). When it scans the root MP3 folder, it chokes for what seems like an eternity then finally is able to see all the songs.

4) General performance when handling large quantities of of media files on my box is not acceptable. My guess is the only 28MB available on my rev 1 box.

1) I believe the default player will only see the movies if they have an MPG extension. I'd have expected this to be fixed by now, but maybe not.

2) Not sure about this, as I don't do much with photos.

3) I have over 20k MP3 files on my share, and the Roku can see them fine. I do have them organized into Artist/Album folders. Maybe this is the difference?

4) Again, I have a Rev A and don't have any problems. If you have all of your media files in a single folder, I could understand a performance hit, otherwise I wouldn't think you should have a problem.

TheEndless

MoJo

Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:27 am

ChrisF wrote:

Not sure if you are talking Ximeta specifically but like The Endless I have just under 24,000 MP3's on one share (iTunes). On reboot I will see a progress scan (where it jumps in increments of thousands while scanning)for the first 20 seconds or so but after that they all show perfectly and can be rapidly scanned up and down with the Zoom In/Out buttons.

All of my files are organized within artist folders and each artist folder contains album folders.

This is all under the latest beta with a Rev A box and no swap file. I also have about 1500 8 mega pixel images, organized into folders, that all show up fine and can be navigated fairly quickly.

Steve

Toots Mutant

Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:32 pm

Nice.

No probs on the upgrade, but ditto on feeling discriminated against 'cause I'm not in the pacific time zone.

gordo

Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:29 pm

Well I managed to fix my samba problem which was due to improper configuration of master browser...

The symlink from busybox to tar seems lost in this update??

I was messing around trying to compile flac and ran into a brick wall because of case problems FLAC directory insists on being flac.

mv flac test
mv test FLAC

still leaves flac

(this is on fat32 formatted CF)

works fine on samba mounted disk

(note flac decodes 4x faster than realtime:

# time src/flac/flac -d test.flac

flac 1.1.1, Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003,2004 Josh Coalson
flac comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are
welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions. Type `flac' for details.

test.flac: done

real 0m44.580s
user 0m19.790s
sys 0m5.520s

for a 3 minute song)

Also:

# ./src/metaflac/metaflac --list test.flac
METADATA block #0
type: 0 (STREAMINFO)
is last: false
length: 34
minumum blocksize: 4608 samples
maximum blocksize: 4608 samples
minimum framesize: 4942 bytes
maximum framesize: 14587 bytes
sample_rate: 48000 Hz
channels: 2
bits-per-sample: 16
total samples: 8569219
MD5 signature: 92b9aaceb461e466fb8b58fb651defea
METADATA block #1
type: 4 (VORBIS_COMMENT)
is last: false
length: 320
vendor string: reference libFLAC 1.1.0 20030126
comments: 11
comment[0]: TITLE=Moving
comment[1]: ARTIST=Kate Bush
comment[2]: ALBUM=The Kick Inside
comment[3]: DATE=1977
comment[4]: GENRE=Rock
comment[5]: COMMENT=Digitized from LP at 48/24
comment[6]: TRACKNUMBER=01
comment[7]: replaygain_track_gain=-1.92 dB
comment[8]: replaygain_track_peak=0.911804
comment[9]: replaygain_album_gain=-2.00 dB
comment[10]: replaygain_album_peak=1.000000
METADATA block #2
type: 1 (PADDING)
is last: true
length: 1853
#

looks promising for plugin
Last edited by gordo on Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

soiaf

Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:09 pm

gordo wrote:
I was messing around trying to compile flac and ran into a brick wall because of case problems FLAC directory insists on being flac.

mv flac test
mv test FLAC

still leaves flac

(this is on fat32 formatted CF)

I compiled FLAC on 2.0.9 yesterday, some small issues because of the upper-casing problem, but at least I was able to rename to the correct upper/lower casing as required. Might hold off going to 2.0.10 based on your experience here.
By the way, don't know if this is fixed in 2.0.10, but was happening in 2.0.9 - if I created a new file (on the hd1000) on the Compact flash card, then tried to read the card on my windows machine, I could see the file, but I couldn't read it.

ukexpat

Re: Ximeta vs Linksys NAS

Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:20 am

vs wrote:
I completely understand the value in developing a Ximeta driver for the PB, however, how many users actually have (or will go out and buy) a Ximeta network drive?

I'm contemplating a Linksys 250gig NAS. Apart from cost, can anyone suggest reasons for or against either solution?

I have a Linksys NAS on my network (2x200GB drives) and it works fine with the HD1000.

jsjames

Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:46 am

Isn't it cheaper to just buy an external HDD case and get an internal 250GB drive, than to buy a NAS?

I have over 2.5TB and most is in external cases or inside a server.
Thanks,

Jeff
M1000

TheEndless

Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:30 am

jsjames wrote:
Isn't it cheaper to just buy an external HDD case and get an internal 250GB drive, than to buy a NAS?

I have over 2.5TB and most is in external cases or inside a server.

It'd almost certainly be cheaper to go that route, but it defeats the main purpose for having a NAS. The NAS allows the hard drives to be accessible on the network without requiring a computer to host the share.

TheEndless