Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuDon
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

**NEW** HD1000 v2.0.10 available for download!

Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:48 pm

Greetings Roku Beta Testers!

We have completed a new beta version which you can download here:
http://www.rokulabs.com/support/downloa ... 0Beta3.zip
There are notes on how to install here:
http://www.rokulabs.com/support/HD10002.0Beta.php

Alternatively, you can just go to your Setup menu, Select "Software Update", and follow the prompts to automatically install 2.0.10 over the network.

Please give it a try and let us know how it goes.

NOTE: If you have been using the cool new HexRadio application, you should reboot before trying the network software upgrade as HexRadio may fill up the temp filesystem and the network software upgrade uses the temp filesystem.

Thanks,
The Roku Team.

p.s. For your convenience, the release notes follow.

New Features in 2.0 Beta 3 (2.0.10)
• kernel NTFS support (read-only)
• XIMETA Net-Disk driver
• German language translation
• initial PAL support (SD interlaced modes only)

Bugs Fixed in 2.0 Beta 3 (2.0.10)
• Filenames on CompactFlash get mangled to uppercase

Beta 3 (software version 2.0.10) may be downloaded from: http://www.rokulabs.com/support/HD10002.0Beta.php or may be installed over 2.0.9 by using the Network Software upgrade feature accessed from Setup.

Note: 2.0.10 is a “format upgrade”. The contents of your built-in storage will not be preserved.

A few words on the features in 2.0.10:

Kernel NTFS Support
We have integrated Anton Altaparmakov’s Linux NTFS kernel driver version 2.1.6b. This provides read-only support for NTFS formatted volumes. The main reason we added this was to support XIMETA NetDisks, which are formatted with NTFS by default. More details below.

XIMETA NetDisk Driver
Now you can mount your XIMETA NetDisks.
In this beta release there is no GUI for doing this, you must telnet into your PhotoBridge and issue a shell command as follows:
1. First determine your NetDisk ID, as printed on the sticker on the bottom of your NetDisk.
e.g. ABCD1-12AB1-A123B-ABCDE
2. Choose a friendly name for the NetDisk. This is the name that will show up in the PhotoBridge GUI. e.g. “aquaman”
3. Telnet into your PhotoBridge and issue the following shell command:
ndas-mount ABCD1-12AB1-A123B-ABCDE aquaman
substituting the ID and friendly name with your own.
4. Your disk will show up as NDAS/aquaman in the GUI.

In 2.0 final we will have a GUI in Setup that will provide easy to use mounting functionality.

A word on speed:
Current we achieve 23.8 Megabits/second when reading from the NetDisk. XIMETA informs us that they are working on improving the performance to bring it inline with their Windows driver which achieves ~80 Megabits/second but they have not given us an ETA yet.

23.8Mbps is [just] sufficient for streaming high definition ATSC MPEG2 transport streams (which top out at about 19.7Mbps) and is plenty of speed for streaming MPEG2 DVD program stream files and Replay TV high quality program stream files which top out at around 8Mbps.

A word on the driver:
XIMETA has 2 versions of their drivers – level 1 (Windows XP version 2.4.2) which supports only one read/write network client and multiple read-only clients at a time and level 2 (Windows XP version 3.10) which supports multiple read/write and read-only clients. The PhotoBridge driver is a level 2 driver. As a result, I believe (but am not sure) that all clients on your network must also use a level 2 driver.

A word on Filesystems:
The PhotoBridge with this NDAS driver supports NetDisks which are formatted with NTFS or FAT32. (It would support ext2 and ext3 also, but these filesystems are not currently compiled into the PhotoBridge kernel). By default your NetDisk comes pre-formatted with NTFS. Here are the pros and cons of each filesystem:

NTFS
Pros:
• XIMETA NetDisks come pre-formatted with NTFS.
• NTFS is Read/Write in Win2K/WinXP
• Large files *are* supported.
Cons:
• NTFS is Read-Only on PhotoBridge
• NTFS support on MacOS is questionable (read unknown by me, RokuDon), is likely also read-only, and likely requires additional third-party software to be installed on your Mac.

FAT32
Pros:
• FAT32 is Read/Write on Windows/Linux/MacOS
Cons:
• You must use third party software to reformat your NetDisk with FAT32
• Files are *limited* to 4GB in size.

EXT2/3
Pros:
• EXT2/3 is read/write and supported natively on Linux and likely also on MacOS.
• Large files *are* supported.
Cons:
• You must use third party software to reformat your NetDisk with EXT2 or EXT3.
• EXT2/3 not yet compiled into PhotoBridge kernel.
• EXT2/3 not natively supported on Windows, requires 3rd party software.

German Translation
We at Roku wish to extend our thanks to our enthusiastic user, Joachim, for making us a German translation. We passed his work on to a german partner of ours (a distributor) who did some minor tweaks. Thanks again Jowi!

Initial PAL Support
We have added very preliminary support for PAL video modes. Currently only composite and S-Video modes are supported (576i). This clears up the problem with jerky playback of PAL MPEG2 program stream files, but unfortunately NTSC program stream files do not playback correctly when in PAL mode. It is unknown, but unlikely, that PAL program stream files will work in NTSC mode and it is also unlikely that NTSC files will work in PAL mode, but we are still investigating. And, don’t worry – we plan to add HD PAL modes in 2.0 final.

Thanks, and enjoy the 2.0.10 features! :D

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: **NEW** HD1000 v2.0.10 available for download!

Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:03 pm

RokuDon wrote:
It is unknown, but unlikely, that PAL program stream files will work in NTSC mode and it is also unlikely that NTSC files will work in PAL mode, but we are still investigating.

Do you mean it's unlikely that they'll ever work, or not in this beta?
A simple convert from VOB to TS via VLC, with no transcoding, yields a playable PAL stream on NTSC systems. Could you explore this route? It's not that horrible to have to convert them, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to.

TheEndless

catvation

Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:05 pm

Great, I just purchased the Roku based on the native MPEG-2 Video Playback ability. I noticed your file streaming statistics, could you please give some statistics for SMB and NFS as well?

In particular I'm interested because I have a Sony HDR-FX1 which records in native 25Mb/s MPEG-2 1080i HD Video. My wish to store all my video on a file server and play them with the Roku.

Is there a non CF way to upgrade from 1.5.x?

Will there be audio visualization (like in winamp, etc.)? I can use my hacked XBOX with XBMC on it to do streaming radio with visualization, but would prefer to just use this device.

Thanks!

jsjames

Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:35 pm

If I have PAL and NTSC HD VOBs will I have to change to one of the formats each time I playback one of the formats (in the final version)?
Or will it know what the format is when you playback the files?
Thanks,

Jeff
M1000

Gerald

Re: **NEW** HD1000 v2.0.10 available for download!

Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:49 am

RokuDon wrote:
Initial PAL Support
We have added very preliminary support for PAL video modes. Currently only composite and S-Video modes are supported (576i). This clears up the problem with jerky playback of PAL MPEG2 program stream files, but unfortunately NTSC program stream files do not playback correctly when in PAL mode. It is unknown, but unlikely, that PAL program stream files will work in NTSC mode and it is also unlikely that NTSC files will work in PAL mode, but we are still investigating. And, don’t worry – we plan to add HD PAL modes in 2.0 final.

Thanks, and enjoy the 2.0.10 features! :D

Apologies for the potentially dumb question - and I guess I'll find out the answer for myself later in the day when I try it - but when you say only 576i is supported, do you mean as a source file, or as output?

i.e. Will a standard PAL DVD ripped to a hard-drive still get scaled up to 720p on the component outputs? If not, any chance of a "rough" timescale for this to be fixed - I don't really want to have to re-wire and re-route my kit if it's only going to be for a week or so.

Thanks for the continued excellent development, and keep up the good work - it's much appreciated!

gordo

Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:11 am

Something seems to have changed with netwroking. One of my samba shares which was OK in previous beta no longer is found?

Jowi

Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:04 am

RokuDon,

first off all, thanks for the flowers in you releasenotes!! :)

The upper and lowercase bug is gone. WeatherSix an HexRadio runs without any workarounds from CF Card, thats great!!

Are there any things changed in Networking? I mean that the Networkshares from my mediarouter were found much faster.

Wooowhhhh, thats great that you added the german translation so fast!!
But i have found many mistakes, they forget some " so the german translation is not shown. I you want, i can correct it and send it via eMail to Dave or put it on my ftp server. Is it possible to add a please-wait.png for the german translation (Bitte-warten)?. Your german partner add a translation for this png and now none png is shown. You are using a variable %s for the browser in the main screen. If more than one file or application is found this variable put the s behind the word file or application. Is it possible to add a variable for the german translation with the letters "en" for Datei"en" or Anwendung"en"?

Mmmh PAL Support. If i understand it right the PB can´t detect between files in NTSC and PAL mode? Could you, until the problem is solved, add a button for preselection in the setup menu NTSC-PAL-AUTO?

Thanks for this update, very good work.

Greets

Joachim

catvation

Help! :)

Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:36 pm

Okay, I went and bought a $25 CF card to try to upgrade this and I ma not having any luck.

I am currently at 1.5.18.

I'm downloading the HD10002.0Beta3.zip.

I can browse the CF card and see the forumup.rok in the Roku browser (it says "no media found", but if I click the CF card button, I can see the file.

When I hold down the power button for 10 seconds the "busy" light is solid for a while, then blinks, but then 1.5.18 just starts up again.

Anyone else having a problem updating their firmware?

mnlyoung

Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:40 pm

RokuDon,
Just upgraded utilizing the system upgrade feature in "Setup". It worked flawlessly. Thanks.

Is it possible to add FF and REW modes when playing mpg's on the Image/Movie application? Perhaps you could make use of the directional L/R keys. This would be a great improvement.

Of course .avi, divX and mpeg 4 file support is requested as well (.wma audio too). Thanks for the continued development.

ChrisF

Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:22 pm

RokuDon:

Does the Ximeta Driver support access over the network and/or direct USB connection?

Thanks. Can't wait to try this.

rm2077

Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:35 pm

The pacific time zone issue seems to still be there.
All apps loaded perfect on my flash card. Thanks

ChrisF

Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:51 pm

Ok, upgraded, telneted in. Ximeta connected!!!

Now a problem:

In my DVD rips folder, it can only play one movie. It's the only one that has a file named "default.pls". All the others don't and won't play on the Roku. What app creates the default.pls and how do I insert them in the other movie folders?

Wow, way to go Roku! This is what I was waiting for!!!!

finalwish

Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:52 pm

My Ximeta drive works perfectly with HD1000! Cool!

ChrisF, my HD1000 talks to Ximeta drive from network. I believe you can not plug in ethernet cable and USB cable to Ximeta at the same time.

Thanks Roku, for this great feature!

Donald

Agreed

Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:37 pm

I agree, this is freedom man.

Got my NDAS up and running. No need for a server, just add NDAS storage as required. VERY COOL.

Dig the upgrade via internet terminology, very 'with it'.

Donald

cshotton

How to view more than 4 apps?

Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:53 pm

The upgrade went smoothly over the net. But my network share has about 10 apps on it and only 4 show (says 10 applications, viewing 4). Am I completely clueless or is there no way to reach these addtional 6 apps? I can't get the display to page or scroll to the apps not being shown and the viewing area doesn't scale to show more than 4.

I have checked permissions on the server and all of the folders have identical permissions, as do their contents. Is this normal or am I now hosed?