Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

elephant911

Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:08 am

waynedunham wrote:
elephant911 wrote:
I have it first hand from a guy that knows where RokuDon used to order pizza that the update was going to be this week until SimonO went and ruined it for the rest of us.

Is that like the old "Watched Pot never boils", changed in this instance to "The asked for Beta dump never materializes"?

:lol:

The Soundbridge just got version 2.3 and the post is littered with RokuDan/Dave/Mike comments so that's where all the engineering is right now. After they tighten up a few issues, they'll switch gears and give the HD1000 a little love.

improv

Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:09 am

elephant911 wrote:
The Soundbridge just got version 2.3 and the post is littered with RokuDan/Dave/Mike comments so that's where all the engineering is right now. After they tighten up a few issues, they'll switch gears and give the HD1000 a little love.

And all it takes is about 30 seconds for them to post a message on this forum indicating that fact.

r111

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:07 pm

Maybe the HD1K is EOL (end of life) and HD2K is on the way?

Messiah

Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:52 pm

And we know RokuPatrick is lurking in this forum as he's just answered another post so is it any wonder people are getting rather P'd off when he can't even be bothered to give HD1000 owners an update on the current state of play if nothing else.

Flame me if you like but I have to say I have never before known any company treat it's customers with such ignorance. Just incredible. I'm not asking or expecting them to give regular updates but they must realise how many of their customers have been asking for an update and what do they do - remain totally silent and ignore everyone. Incredible :(

Dan Smart

Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:04 pm

Messiah wrote:
And we know RokuPatrick is lurking in this forum as he's just answered another post so is it any wonder people are getting rather P'd off when he can't even be bothered to give HD1000 owners an update on the current state of play if nothing else.

Flame me if you like but I have to say I have never before known any company treat it's customers with such ignorance. Just incredible. I'm not asking or expecting them to give regular updates but they must realise how many of their customers have been asking for an update and what do they do - remain totally silent and ignore everyone. Incredible :(

Hmm... Do you own any microsoft products? Or indeed any computer related products at all? I can count the companies I interact with that treat their customers as well as Roku on the fingers of one of mickey mouse's hands.

Personally I'm amazed by the level of response from Roku employees in these forums, and I frequently wonder when they get any sleep, there aren't that many of them, they obviously spend a lot of time on development, and yet still seem to be manning the forums full time.

They've stated on several occasions that they don't comment on future releases, and they've also explained why. In fact RokuDon's comment recently was the closest I've seen any of them come to pre-announcing a release, and I bet he's regretting having said anything now...

Dan "I want a new release too, but chill out, it's only software" Smart
4xM2000 2xM1000.

aceface

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:55 pm

man we gotta find you guys some women.

Messiah

Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:21 am

Dan Smart wrote:
In fact RokuDon's comment recently was the closest I've seen any of them come to pre-announcing a release, and I bet he's regretting having said anything now...

Exactly. And I would have hoped that having made that statement, if they were having unexcpected issues that it would take almost no time at all to post something like

"Having unexpected issues. Not likely to be released for another x months"

or whatever. Having raised the expectation then people wouldn't keep hoping and wondering what was going on. In my line of business it;'s called 'Managing the customers expectation' and once you set an expectation the least you can do is meet it or explain/give updates as to what is going on. Anyway, I've waited months for an update so another few won't hurt. I've now dropped back to an earlier release to get Shuffle back :)

I've also now installed a Sonos system but that's not perfect either :shock:

Dan Smart

Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:35 pm

Messiah wrote:
Dan Smart wrote:
In fact RokuDon's comment recently was the closest I've seen any of them come to pre-announcing a release, and I bet he's regretting having said anything now...

Exactly. And I would have hoped that having made that statement, if they were having unexcpected issues that it would take almost no time at all to post something like

I think you missed my point, which was that whenever they've said anything about a future release it has caused them grief. The obvious solution, and the one they've mostly adopted, is not to say anything about future releases. Note that several companies have been sued over "promises" they made about future releases, which makes keeping quiet a legally sound idea as well.
Messiah wrote:
I've now dropped back to an earlier release to get Shuffle back

Why not use sonica, doesn't that provide a superset of the features of sonata including shuffle? I really don't know the answer to that, I use a soundbridge for music.
Messiah wrote:
I've also now installed a Sonos system but that's not perfect either :shock:

The Photobridge is the best of the systems I've tried, and I've tried a fair few, it certainly has the nicest forums with the most helpful staff.

Dan
4xM2000 2xM1000.

Messiah

Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:25 pm

Dan Smart wrote:
The Photobridge is the best of the systems I've tried, and I've tried a fair few, it certainly has the nicest forums with the most helpful staff.

Dan

For audio only the Sonos system is by far and away the better system. Whole house audio and regular software updates :D If you haven't already checked it out take a look at www.sonos.com. Worth a look.

2 quite different products thouh really as the Sonos is audio only and intended to offer a whole house audio system. Unlike the HD1k which does video as well. I use it now just for HD streaming and it does that very very well, so it will be staying in my rack for quite some time :)

Dan Smart

Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:23 pm

Messiah wrote:
Dan Smart wrote:

Dan

For audio only the Sonos system is by far and away the better system. Whole house audio and regular software updates :D If you haven't already checked it out take a look at www.sonos.com. Worth a look.

2 quite different products thouh really as the Sonos is audio only and intended to offer a whole house audio system. Unlike the HD1k which does video as well. I use it now just for HD streaming and it does that very very well, so it will be staying in my rack for quite some time :)

I've looked at the Sonos before, and the players don't have digital out, which pretty much eliminates it as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure why you would prefer the Sonos system to the Soundbridge, which unlike the PhotoBridge, is designed as a network audio player and is an excellent product (which also gets regular software updates :P). As far as I can tell the only advantage the Sonos has, is the native support for synchronized playback on multiple devices. The color remote controls appear to me to be an expensive dongle, I can by a pocket PC for the same price.

I really am curious as to what you think the advantages are, but it might be better to communicate them by PM...

Dan "If I ever return to work, I might buy one to check it out" Smart
4xM2000 2xM1000.

Gregavi

Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:10 pm

I guess I am somewhere in the middle of the two of you (Messiah & Smart). I understand there is bound to be problems with a substantial new release, but it would be nice to at least get a response from Roku. It is curious that they responded in the past quite promptly and now, nada. This tells me that somebody screwed something up. Why else would they completely abandon responding to people seeking update info? Roku...where are you?

Toots Mutant

Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:39 pm

I take them at their word. They said something else came up.

The HD-1000 is at the absolute, rock bottom of their priority list.

SimonO
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:39 am

I've got tha.......... :wink:
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

improv

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:37 am

SimonO wrote:

Stop jinxing us .... :wink:

CaminoFrancisco

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:02 am

SimonO wrote:

...lovin feeling?
Camino
HD1000 Rev "B"