Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jinzora
Topic Author

16:9 Plasma and stretched pictures

Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:55 am

So I just got my PhotoBridge all setup - upgraded to the latest 2.0 beta release.

Things are working well but my first question (sorry if this is a stupid one I did search on it).

I have a 16:9 plasma. I've setup the screen stretch to fill the full screen. The menus look file (not stretched) but ALL my photos are stretched out all wide. All my pics are 4:3 (from my digital camera) and the PhotoBridge is stretching them all out so everyone looks fat!

Can it not display them at the proper resolution with black bars on the sides? I looked everywhere and can't find a setting for this.

Thanks,

Ross
Project Leader - Jinzora
Jinzora :: Free Your Media
http://www.jinzora.com

RokuPatrick

Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:04 pm

The photobridge does not stretch images, period. You can set it to fill the screen, but it does so by zooming in, not stretching. When viewing photos, press [select] on the remote and you can change how the images are displayed (fit, fill, smartdisplay). These are explained in the manual.

How do you have the PhotoBridge connected to the display and what mode are you using?

jinzora
Topic Author

Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:12 pm

Ok, let me clarify:

- PhotoBridg HD - 2.0.33 release
- Panasonic 16:9 plasma
- Connected via Component video (passing my HD DVR through it)

When I browse to an image, a 4:3 image (at, say, 1024x768) it fills the entire screen. Doing this stretches the image horizontally - so everyone looks fat. I have my plasma set in "full" mode (if I go to "standard" which is for 4:3 content and adds gray bars on the sides the images look perfect). I tried all 3 modes (sorry I didn't see those before) and ALL modes stretch out the image. ALL of them.

So basically all my photos look like crap. I did install mplay and streamed a DVD to it and it was the perfect resolution - no stretching, etc.

What am I missing? I'm sure it's just me, it can't be this way be design...

BTW thanks for the VERY fast response!!!

Ross
Project Leader - Jinzora

RokuPatrick

Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:21 pm

it's because you have the PhotoBridge set to 1024x768 (a 4x3 mode) and then your display is stretching it to 16x9 (full). Try setting the PhotoBridge to 720p or 1080i which are 16x9 resolutions.

jinzora
Topic Author

Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:37 pm

D'oh! Yup, that was it. I had it set to 480p since my plasma is really an ED so it's 852x480 native. Setting it to 720p works just perfectly!!!

Thanks for the quick response, I have to say not only am I impressed with the device the support I've gotten here has been first rate!!!

Keep up the great work!!!

Ross
Project Leader - Jinzora

apotts

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:04 pm

Patrick,

Would it be possible (pleeeeeeeeeease) to make 1024x768 a 16:9 mode (possibly switchable to 4:3) for those of us that feed our 16:9 1024x768 plasmas via VGA? Although I get a good picture at 720p it would be nice to send it native res.

Also, many of my videos have blacks that look grey. My (panasonic 42PHD7) plasma is ISF calibrated and is normally fed VGA by a scaler. The Roku goes into the scaler VGA and is passed through. The menus and borders all look black, but the videos look very grey. Also videos seem to be always stretched to fill the screen.

Andrew

grizly

Yes, please

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:20 pm

I'm joining to Andrew's request. :wink: Patrick, is it possible? My videos has the same problem: black points are looks like grey points.

Thank's