Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

When will the HD1000 2.0 Software Ship in Production?

Never - We will never see a production 2.0 release
35 (51%)
In Q3 2005 - 15 months late
2 (3%)
In Q4 2005 - 18 months late
9 (13%)
In 2006 - 2 years or more late
22 (32%)

Total votes: 68

ddruker
Topic Author

HD1000 2.0 - One year late so far - Will it ever ship ?

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:30 am

Are the rest of you as frustrated as I am that it the HD1000 will just never get to 2.0 production?

Recall the history of the followon release to the original HD1000 software.

It was originally promised by Anthony Wood (Roku CEO) for Summer 2004. This was extended a couple of times and then for sure it would ship by end of 2004. What did get out by the end of 2004 was barely an Alpha release, which is where we still are today with a few minor improvements. As of August 2005 we are still far from feature complete, and there really isn't still a roadmap as to what is committed for the final 2.0 production release anyway.

In early 2005, the developers on this forum said the plan was to get feature complete, have a real beta, and ship in the first half of 2005. They seemed enthusiastic and committed, but things have obviously slowed down since.

Now we are well into the third quarter of 2005 and we still aren't even feature complete yet, we don't have a roadmap for what is supposed to be in our out of final 2.0, and we don't know when a feature completel beta or production 2.0 is supposed to be released.

Your thoughts? Are people actively moving to alternative platforms or are you just waiting patiently (or waiting impatiently). In my house we just don't really use the device very much...
- Dan

cutecasper

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:51 am

My thought's on this:

- Stupid question.
- Not helpful or contributing in any way.
- Counterproductive and frustrating for Roku's engineers.

Think about Microsoft:
They promised Windows 98 for 1998, Windows 2000 for 2000 and Windows
"Longhorn" (Vista) for End of 2003. Where are we now?

I think that the Roku-guys gave us very much of their time.
Maybe this is the reason why the final is not ready yet.
Solving users problems, helping them instantly, is more than you will get from MANY other companies out there.

Bye... Casper.
--
You never run out of things that can go wrong... (Murphy)
--

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:10 am

cutecasper wrote:
My thought's on this:
- Stupid question.

Well said!

I'm sure this is exactly why it is now Roku's policy to not release timelines or roadmaps. It's really easy to say, "We'll be done with this next week" but until you actually start working on it, you have no idea what kind of complications you're going to run into (uncooperative chipsets, family emergencies, business trips to Japan, etc).
I commend Roku for releasing what they have. By releasing the betas that they have, they have made it possible for 3rd party developers to develop applications that have increased the usability of my Roku 10 fold.
Like most other companies out there, Roku could have very easily said "Version 2.0 is in the works and will be released when it is finalized." Instead they've given us something to work with, and in turn given us plenty to look forward to. To date, they've released a series of "betas" that are already more stable than the release version of 1.5.18, have signficantly increased the Roku's feature set, and have promised even more.

If you weren't happy with the feature set of the Roku when you purchased it, perhaps you should have never purchased it in the first place.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

scottc

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:31 am

cutecasper wrote:
My thought's on this:

- Stupid question.

Also 100% agree and suggest people don't vote on the poll.

If you don't like it sell it. For me it does exactly what I want, coupled with MPlay and that is play HD footage flawlessly.

Scott

MoJo

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:38 pm

Ditto. It will be out when it's ready. In the meantime, it does what I like which is watch recorded TV shows from my PC via MPlay, view pictures and play music.

You can already see the negativity machine starting to churn with recent posts from several of the forum members (including this one). I really hope I don't have to see a bunch of Roku bashing posts for the next month (or however long) until the next beta is out.

mebby

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:14 pm

You seema little disgruntled there DDruker.

If you want to sell your HD 1000 I'll gladly buy it for the right price. How much do you want?
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers
M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers
HD1000 wired

cutecasper

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:46 pm

Some more:

I've thought about the background of ddrukers question another time, and I've come to the following conclusions:

1st: Actually we're at official fw 1.5.18
We can watch MPGs, look at JPGs and listen to MP3s.
That's what Roku sells. That's not more nor less than is promised, and it works. Everything else is in the future. What might it be? Nobody knows.

=> Nobody buys a product just because the manufacturer tells (with advertising and son on) that it some day will be a good product. You buy it because you like it the way it is, or you leave it in the shop.
For sure there are people just buying because they have the money to spend and do not know what else to do with it. But it will not do any harm to these people if the product is bad and is not worth it's money.

2nd: We got the possibility to take a look at the future. We can see what the manufacturer want's his products to be.

=> But still more: We can try for ourselves.
AND: We can comment on the changes. Not everything an engineer designs will be an improvement. (To be honest I think that only few things coming from theory to practice are improvements at all ;-) )

3rd: And this is the best part:
The manufacturer reacts on the comments we're giving.
They're trying to check the possibilities to integrate our ideas, and they're trying to make the product just the way WE (the customers who are at fw 1.5.18 8) ) want it to be.

Now tell me:
- Have you ever seen i.e. "Ford" building a car with a feature that you suggested to their designers?
- Have you ever written a letter to i.e. "The NY Times" telling that you don't like their front pages font and the next release was in your mailbox to cross-check before printing?
- Have you ever seen a product being influenced by the customers THAT FAST, like it is here at Roku?

If so, you're a lucky person.

And now: Let's all calm down, get back to our 1.5.18 PBs and dream of a time when we will be able to watch DVD-rips right from network shares, stream HDTV right from our Linux-boxes to the TV and when we will be able to do online fw-upgrades, and all the other stuff that is FAR OFF in the future, when fw 2.x will be released as final! :P

Bye... Casper.
--

You never run out of things that can go wrong... (Murphy)

--

aceface

Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:45 pm

check this for additional disgruntals

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3781

burton666

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:12 pm

Someone worte that the photobridge does play hd movies perfect, I just wonder what kind of movies do you play? I have downloaded alot of movies from alt.binaries.hdtv and just 10-15% of the work without any glitches/dropouts (a majority of the one that works is just documentaries). And almoast averytime I use the photobridge it ends up hanging itself when I try playing different movies.

And I don't understand why so many here defend roku all the time. I and many others feel cheated, they advertised that it could play HD movies but it does not, (not many of them anyway) and there are noumerous posts here that confirm that, and just a few that reports that it plays perfect. I really like the design and the features that it should be able to do, but I will never buy any product of them again. If you don't have the resourses to maintain a product, then you should never release it.

/Cliff

vj9999

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:32 pm

burton666 wrote:
Someone worte that the photobridge does play hd movies perfect, I just wonder what kind of movies do you play? I have downloaded alot of movies from alt.binaries.hdtv and just 10-15% of the work without any glitches/dropouts (a majority of the one that works is just documentaries). And almoast averytime I use the photobridge it ends up hanging itself when I try playing different movies.

And I don't understand why so many here defend roku all the time. I and many others feel cheated, they advertised that it could play HD movies but it does not, (not many of them anyway) and there are noumerous posts here that confirm that, and just a few that reports that it plays perfect. I really like the design and the features that it should be able to do, but I will never buy any product of them again. If you don't have the resourses to maintain a product, then you should never release it.

/Cliff

How are you laying your movies? Is your network connection wired or wireless?

It handels HD great, even better if it is streamed as opposed to played over smb share.

dgburns

Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:37 pm

burton666 wrote:
alt.binaries.hdtv and just 10-15% of the work without any glitches/dropouts

The only movies I've downloaded from a.b.hdtv that DIDN'T work were those in WMV format. Everything in ATSC I've tried has worked fine. 100MBit switched wired network, playing back from either WinXP PC (Windows sharing) or Linux PC (Samba sharing).
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

ddruker
Topic Author

Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:22 am

To the folks who jumped all over this post - to be clear I am not attacking the developers of this product - it's a management decision as to how many engineering resources to put on a product.

I don't get the sense the product is particularlly buggy, or poorly designed, which is what I would ding an engineering organization for. I do get the sense the engineers think this is a cool product and would like to be putting more work into it if they were allowed to be.

This is really an issue of false expectations being set orginally by the CEO of the company, and then a systematic under-resourcing of engineering staffing on this product. Clearly even the engineers thought they would be allowed to work in this product enough to finish the 2.0 release out in the first half of 2005 - we all know that that didn't happen.

At this point, with more than two months since the last stable Alpha was released (I don't like calling feature incomplete software beta) my guess would be the engineers have been completely pulled off the HD1000 to work on fires on the soundbridge or bulding new products. This seems to be the regular pattern - when the guys like RokuDon are actively working on the HD1000 we see regular code refreshes and active posting on this forum. When they are pulled off onto other products we see nothing and the "I'm a frustrated customer" posts start coming back...

The real problem in all this is the lack of integrity and honest communication from Roku management, setting realistic expectations and meeting their prior commitments / promises to their customers.
- Dan

jcrb

Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:21 am

scottc wrote:
cutecasper wrote:
My thought's on this:

- Stupid question.

Also 100% agree and suggest people don't vote on the poll.

If you don't like it sell it. For me it does exactly what I want, coupled with MPlay and that is play HD footage flawlessly.

Scott

yeah what he said...

what does it mater what the release is numbered? the box does lots of cool stuff and it keeps getting better and more 3rd party apps keep appearing. I don't care if they ever release "2.0" I will be happy with "Beta 2.0.512" :D

dgburns

Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:10 pm

ddruker wrote:
To the folks who jumped all over this post - to be clear I am not attacking the developers of this product - it's a management decision as to how many engineering resources to put on a product.

Sorry to be blunt...but...sell your Roku, buy someone else's product, and go gripe on their forum. The HD1000 does what it's advertised to do, 3rd party apps can make it do more, and the potential is there for even better things in the future (as Viper, TheaterSix, Mplay, Sonica, etc. develop more).

And no, I didn't vote in your poll.

(corrected typos on 9/17)
Last edited by dgburns on Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)

Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV

Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's

PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext

M1000 (upstairs)

HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)

Visco 32" LCD

AR 2.1 audio system

PS/2

azbithead

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:42 am

I find it interesting that, despite the pounding ddruker has taken for his original post, the voting seems to agree with him. For my part (and pound away if you like), I agree with his comments. I am very close to selling my PB because I despair of ever using it for the purpose for which I bought it: viewing HD content captured on my Mac. I have never gotten it to work reliably and I have spent considerable time trying. I hardly ever use it. Instead I poll this forum regularly, hoping that a new Alpha will be released that fixes the problems I've had (and I've tried every one so far).