Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

When will the HD1000 2.0 Software Ship in Production?

Never - We will never see a production 2.0 release
35 (51%)
In Q3 2005 - 15 months late
2 (3%)
In Q4 2005 - 18 months late
9 (13%)
In 2006 - 2 years or more late
22 (32%)

Total votes: 68

Toots Mutant

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:54 pm

I'm assuming that our choices are either getting an end-of-life statement or dead silence.

mwilhelm99

get it while you can ...

Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:25 pm

If you look at the Roku press releases, and then look to see if there are any Roku products in the store, you will discover not much activity since May of this year -- either with new announcements or with in-store promotion. Both are good signs of an organization in trouble -- or one that is changing its business model. It is possible that the core of Roku's business is now the OEM modules that it sells or plans to sell to other consumer product manufacturers.

It is also concievable that Roku launched its consumer products as platforms for the development of the OEM solutions.

Just speculation on my part; but it is possible the company could move in a new direction and drop consumer products. (see the press releases talking about the partnership with Tatung).

In any case, I love my HD 1000 -- and for me it works great, but I may have to face the fact that it will be an orphan.

elephant911

Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:55 pm

I need my HD1000 to be more stable.

I'm using the latest beta.

If I reboot the computer I have music shared on, I have to reboot the HD1K.

If I run a third party program like SlimRoku or Sonica and it crashes, I have to reboot the HD1K.

If I leave the HD1K on for a day or so, I have to reboot it.

The firmware is pretty beta and these shortcomings should be addressed or open source the code and let the rockstar third party developers continue where you either can't or won't.

jriihi

Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:51 pm

Well i just hope another projects dont take too long...

dgburns

Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:09 pm

elephant911 wrote:
I need my HD1000 to be more stable.

I'm using the latest beta.

Me too.

elephant911 wrote:
If I reboot the computer I have music shared on, I have to reboot the HD1K.

Maybe go into the GUI setup and disable/enable a share, but I've not had to reboot mine if I rebooted the computer.

elephant911 wrote:
If I run a third party program like SlimRoku or Sonica and it crashes, I have to reboot the HD1K.

I don't use either, so no experience there. But I DO use 3rd party programs LiveSpy, Mplay, WeatherSix, and others every day and not had your experience. IF something crashes, I telnet in and just kill the offending processes.

elephant911 wrote:
If I leave the HD1K on for a day or so, I have to reboot it.

I never turn mine "off". If I'm not actively using it to play something, I run either LiveSpy or WorldClock round the clock.

elephant911 wrote:
The firmware is pretty beta and these shortcomings should be addressed or open source the code and let the rockstar third party developers continue where you either can't or won't.

Can't deny I'd like to see Roku put some attention to releasing a solid 2.0 (or whaever version they want to call it) firmware.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

Powerpup

Agree with the first post - the poll speaks for itself!

Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:24 am

azbithead wrote:
I find it interesting that, despite the pounding ddruker has taken for his original post, the voting seems to agree with him. For my part (and pound away if you like), I agree with his comments. I am very close to selling my PB because I despair of ever using it for the purpose for which I bought it: viewing HD content captured on my Mac. I have never gotten it to work reliably and I have spent considerable time trying. I hardly ever use it. Instead I poll this forum regularly, hoping that a new Alpha will be released that fixes the problems I've had (and I've tried every one so far).

What he said. Customers and posters to these forums seem split, between either the techies that like to take their work home, and the home users that want to come home to something that works. I'm the latter. I'm moving to a different platform.

jsjames

Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:51 am

Well, I guess we know what "other" projects have been keeping them busy now that the Soundbridge Radio has been announced.
Thanks,

Jeff
M1000

Toots Mutant

Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:09 am

Well, that's certainly one, although I suspect there are other, less visible higher priority projects, like picking up the boss's dry cleaning, waxing the boss's car, etc.

Brian

Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:49 pm

I'll be placing mine back in the carton (on which I think is printed something about the unit being able to display a light show in synchronisation with music).
There are a number of products which have emerged during the interim period since beta 2 was released and Roku is apparantly no longer in a unique marketing position
with the projected capabilities of the HD1000.

:)

gunner1

Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:20 pm

Brian wrote:
I'll be placing mine back in the carton (on which I think is printed something about the unit being able to display a light show in synchronisation with music).
There are a number of products which have emerged during the interim period since beta 2 was released and Roku is apparantly no longer in a unique marketing position

:)

PM me, I might be interested in buying it from you

ddruker
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:43 pm

Brian wrote:

What are some of the products that have caught your eye?
- Dan

Steve Criz

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:48 am

ddruker wrote:
What are some of the products that have caught your eye?

How long a list would you like?

If you are wanting to view PAL HD material at HD resolutions on a HDTV there appears to be a rash of devices that are supposed to work coming out in October/November. Then there's the HD capable gaming plarforms with DVD drives that'll play back HD WMV9 files off disk or network... I think you know who makes them.

ddruker
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:22 am

Here is a pretty good and long thread over at AVSForum talking about the state of the world in media viewers / streamers with an emphasis on HD capability and real-world production use cases.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=549208
- Dan

Toots Mutant

Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:44 am

Hey, I resemble that thread!

Most of what I said in the base topic of the thread is still relevant to me today.

I got a second Roku because it came close to meeting my requirements than anything else I could readily find, but I'm telling you, I won't hesitate to jump ship when something better comes along.

Right now, I'm thinking of an HTPC loaded up with TV tuner cards.

ddruker
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:38 pm

All this makes me think that hardware business models may just not work for media players. There seems to be the need for too much investment over time in software to make the devices actually work. What do you think about a model more like Tivo where you pay $300 to buy the device, but also pay say $50 per year to stay on maintenance with software updates... With the presumption that under his model you would have much better / more frequent updates than we are seeing today.

I would be happy to do this if it enabled rapid progression of the software.
- Dan