Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mjl
Topic Author

Question about updates

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:56 am

I'm new to this, so generally updates are monthly on a Friday? Usually by what time?

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Question about updates

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:58 am

mjl wrote:
I'm new to this, so generally updates are monthly on a Friday? Usually by what time?

Noooooooooooo... generally updates are whenever they're ready. I think the friday thing of the past few updates has just been coincidence, not based on an actual schedule.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Wulgaru

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:52 pm

It's not uncommon for updates in the IT world to come out on Fridays, at the end of the month, etc. Those just make sense as target dates. However, TheEndless is correct in that the Roku updates come out on a relatively arbitrary and unpublished schedule when the developers feel that what they have been working on is ready for prime-time.

We should start a Beta release betting pool. That would make the wait more fun. :)

Gregavi

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:13 pm

mjl wrote:

I assume you're joking. As you can clearly see from the
"PhotoBridge HD1000 2.0 Beta Announcement: **NEW** 17-Jun: Beta 2.0.34 + SDK now available"
that it has been about a month and a half since the last update. All I really care about is the re-implementation of “shuffle play” on the music player. I don't mind not getting new functions, but losing existing ones is unacceptable. There are many people that visit this forum who have been asking about this very thing and we have gotten no response from Roku.

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:25 pm

Gregavi wrote:
There are many people that visit this forum who have been asking about this very thing and we have gotten no response from Roku.

Whoa! Slow down there, chief. RokuDon posted this response just last week: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopi ... ght=#23927
RokuDon wrote:
update coming soon - with shuffle, repeat modes, and view options implemented.
-don

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

Gregavi

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:55 pm

I did see that. "Soon" is a pretty vague description of when the new release will come. Nonetheless, it has been several weeks (that’s a little less vague) since the last release and at least that long since we have had shuffle.

SimonO

Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:09 pm

Why don't you run 2.0.15..?
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

Gregavi

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:14 pm

SimonO wrote:
Why don't you run 2.0.15..?

Because that version had it's own set of problems. I hate to sound like a complainer, but my complaints about this product are not petty, IMO. Judging by what I have read here on this and other Roku forums, I am not the only one who feels this way. It is a pretty good product, IMO, but if we, the consumer, do not demand and expect better, we will not get it.

heilpern

Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:49 am

By chosing to download something clearly indicated as Beta, you are chosing to take the risk that nothing will work properly ;)

Best of all though, since this device allows development on an open platform, if you don't like the pace someone else is moving at (keep in mind Roku isn't getting paid for additional work they put into this device, there's no support contract), you are free to implement it yourself.