Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuDon
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

04-Oct: Beta 2.0.35 now available

Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:41 pm

Hi Folks,

We are pleased to announce our next beta software release, version 2.0.35.

If you are running 2.0.28 or later, you may upgrade to this beta automatically on screen from "Setup/Software Update", otherwise you must use the traditional compact flash method of upgrading. (See http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2904 for details).

You may use the traditional compact flash method of upgrading using the following URL:
http://www.rokulabs.com/developers/2.0.35/formatup.rok

The SDK has not changed and may be downloaded from:
http://www.rokulabs.com/developers/Roku ... 2.0.34.zip

Following is a detailed description of this beta:

FEATURETTES
    o The options dialog has been re-introduced to the Music Player (Listen/Sonata).
    o Repeat None/One/All functionality has been added to the Music Player.
    o Shuffle functionality has been re-introduced to the music player.
    o All User Interface strings for the music player are now in the resource file (/etc/HD1000Strings.UTF-8.1) so that they may be localized (currently only english translations exist)

We appreciate your patience and are glad to provide these small enhancements in response to your requests.

**NOTE** If you do the network upgrade you will need to reset to factory defaults (press Setup/System Information/Factory Reset) in order to see the user interface strings in the Music Player application.

Enjoy,
The Roku Team

SimonO

Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:46 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Many thanks for the update Don, are we likely to ever see a fix for the PAL stuttering problem..?
Toshiba 36ZP48, Pace Sky+ v1 (120GB), Sonos ZP80, Denon DVD-2900, Denon AVR-3805, Blue Sky SAT 6.5/B&W DM600 S3/ASW675 w/Behringer DSP1124P, Philips Pronto NG RU950/RU951

dgburns

Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:00 pm

Anybody know if I upgrade via the "built-in" upgrade method, will that wipe out my static IP setup and NFS mounts I hacked in?
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

improv

Re: **NEW** 04-Oct: Beta 2.0.35 now available

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:33 pm

Great News!!!

Unfortunately my Roku died a few days ago ... all I have now is a continuous flashing power light.

MoJo

Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:59 pm

I upgraded tonight and all went fine. First time I have upgraded since 2.0.15. My wife was ready to strangle me because she was at her wits end with the Roku losing it's IP address after the PC was rebooted (for various reasons here and there). Hopefully the network updates made in these latest releases will fix that. Having shuffle back is nice too.

Thanks!

soiaf

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:16 am

dgburns wrote:
Anybody know if I upgrade via the "built-in" upgrade method, will that wipe out my static IP setup and NFS mounts I hacked in?

You'll definitely lose your static IP address after a factory reset (not sure about after the upgrade step itself).
Don't know about the NFS mounts, probably best to back them up somewhere before doing the upgrade.

soiaf

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:18 am

improv wrote:
Great News!!!

Unfortunately my Roku died a few days ago ... all I have now is a continuous flashing power light.

That sounds like its in initial setup mode? - where the number of flashes correspond to the current video output mode.

improv

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:35 am

soiaf wrote:
improv wrote:
Great News!!!

That sounds like its in initial setup mode? - where the number of flashes correspond to the current video output mode.

You would think so .. unfortunately not. Was definitely the power supply.

Luckily I have a micro atx power supply which is now filling in.

I have upgraded to 2.0.35. Reinstalled the Flac codec. When playing via Sonata everything is fine. However playing via Sonica is fine for a little bit then the music starts jumping. Looks like Sonica might need a rebuild???

mjl

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:19 am

RokuDon wrote:
Following is a detailed description of this beta:

FEATURETTES
    o The options dialog has been re-introduced to the Music Player (Listen/Sonata).
    o Repeat None/One/All functionality has been added to the Music Player.
    o Shuffle functionality has been re-introduced to the music player.
    o All User Interface strings for the music player are now in the resource file (/etc/HD1000Strings.UTF-8.1) so that they may be localized (currently only english translations exist)

I upgraded but don't see the options dialog when using Sonata? On the lower left of UI there's the icon that was labeled "options" with version .34. This icon is still there with .35 however it is no longer labeled "options" and it does nothing?

soiaf

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 am

improv wrote:

I imagine there will be a few people interested to read that. Was it a straight replacement or was there any rewiring involved.

improv wrote:
I have upgraded to 2.0.35. Reinstalled the Flac codec. When playing via Sonata everything is fine. However playing via Sonica is fine for a little bit then the music starts jumping. Looks like Sonica might need a rebuild???

I've just installed the upgrade myself. I'll have a look and see if I can replicate the Sonica problem. I wouldn't have thought it would need a rebuild, but no problem to produce one if necessary.

improv

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:56 am

mjl wrote:
I upgraded but don't see the options dialog when using Sonata? On the lower left of UI there's the icon that was labeled "options" with version .34. This icon is still there with .35 however it is no longer labeled "options" and it does nothing?

Hmm... I did an upgrade via the flash method and it worked fine... the options are there. Did you do a reset after the upgrade?

Messiah

Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:55 am

mjl wrote:
RokuDon wrote:

AS per the instructions above

**NOTE** If you do the network upgrade you will need to reset to factory defaults (press Setup/System Information/Factory Reset) in order to see the user interface strings in the Music Player application.

you need to do a Factory Reset and then they will appear.

improv

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:03 am

soiaf wrote:
improv wrote:

I imagine there will be a few people interested to read that. Was it a straight replacement or was there any rewiring involved.

Maybe so. Probably more important to us Australians who have a bit more difficulty in obtaining support. Note in Australia there is no formal support for the HD nor is their a distributor. It doesn't even have it's formal CE tick of approval yet. For those of you buying a soundbridge in Australia there is now a distributor, however they will only provide support for the ones they sell (Read: I received the distinct impression that the distributor will not support soundbridges sold by their resellers prior to them becoming a distributor). ROKU READ THIS: Your Support Needs Improving

In my case the device is under warranty however I am not sure sending the HD all the way back to the US is in my best interest.

Question for ROKU: If I send you the dead power supply will you replace it? Please note as a customer I have no intention of paying for international shipping on the HD nor waiting the weeks it will take to get it back.

Onto the actuall powersupply replacement....

As previously pointed out on the forums the Power supply has two rails 3.3v (7A) and 5v (1A). Given that I wanted the Roku up and running today and didn't want to spend time diagnosing the current power supply (Read: I don't trust that the problem will not reoccur) I chose to use a small ATX power supply until I could find a replacement power supply that would fit the ROKU. This ment an external power supply connected to the ROKU. Note even 1U power supplies are unlikely to fit as they are approx 40mm high where as the Roku power supply is approx 30mm high.

The micro ATX power supply I chose is 200W (more than enough grunt for the job) and has a whisper quiet fan which I cannot hear even in a quiet room.

The steps I took were:

1. Install a small toggle switch on the power supply. 1 pin connected to the PS-ON cable (PIN 14 - Green Cable) and the other Pin connected to a ground cable. This enables the power supply to be turned on without a motherboard.

2. In my case I didnt want cables hanging out of the power supply so I removed the cables I didn't need. The power connector on the Roku motherboad has 5 pins (3.3v, 3.3v, GND, GND,GND, 5V). So the cables I needed to keep were: 2 x orange cables (3.3v), 3 x black cables (gnd) and 1 x 5v (red).

3. I put a new 6 pin plug connector on the ends of the remaining 6 cables.

4. Made a temporary extension lead from the power supply connector to the ROKU.

5. Tommorow I will decide which of my long term options I like best:

a. Get a new PSU from ROKu
b. Install a connector on the ROKU where the power plug used to be and leave the xisting arrangement
c. Find a replacement power supply which will fit the ROKU and install with a fan
d. Use an external 60W power pack with an internal DC to DC convertor.

I actually like the idea of the power supply being external and may at option d. Certainly the reduction in heat within the box is significant and this can only help the longevity of the ROKU.

PRMan

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:29 am

So I assume the fix for DVD menus that the MPlay guys needed didn't get in this time?
PRMan

bommai

Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:55 pm

improv wrote:
Great News!!!

This happened to me also and I thought my roku died also. The actual problem for me turned out to be incorrect video output setting. I had my roku hooked through the vga port to my monitor and it was outputting 480i over composite. You can press on the right most button on roku to change the video output format. try that before you give up.

-Siva