Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

improv

Re: **NEW** 04-Oct: Beta 2.0.35 now available

Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:59 pm

bommai wrote:
This happened to me also and I thought my roku died also. The actual problem for me turned out to be incorrect video output setting. I had my roku hooked through the vga port to my monitor and it was outputting 480i over composite. You can press on the right most button on roku to change the video output format. try that before you give up.

Thanks Siva but I can guarantee the problem was NOT the video setting. It was a faulty power supply.

Besides I never give up :lol:

elephant911

Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:10 pm

PRMan wrote:
So I assume the fix for DVD menus that the MPlay guys needed didn't get in this time?

You can also assume you won't get an official answer to this one.

soiaf

Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:48 am

improv wrote:
I have upgraded to 2.0.35. Reinstalled the Flac codec. When playing via Sonata everything is fine. However playing via Sonica is fine for a little bit then the music starts jumping. Looks like Sonica might need a rebuild???

I've tried Sonica with the FLAC codec for a couple of hours now and had no problems.
Pure speculation, but this might be more of a share/stream problem than a Sonica issue as such (related to the issues that people are seeing when streaming using SlimRoku).
If its possible could you start Sonica in debug mode and see if you get the jumping again (and if so what error messages are you seeing).

Thanks for the power supply information, most interesting.

improv

Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:39 am

soiaf wrote:
I've tried Sonica with the FLAC codec for a couple of hours now and had no problems.
Pure speculation, but this might be more of a share/stream problem than a Sonica issue as such (related to the issues that people are seeing when streaming using SlimRoku).
If its possible could you start Sonica in debug mode and see if you get the jumping again (and if so what error messages are you seeing).

Thanks for the power supply information, most interesting.

Ok, was able to encounter a problem where the display toggles between a black screen and the normal display... Debug code is as follows:

Buffering 0 of 4 filled for stream 28
Buffering 1 of 4 filled for stream 28
Buffering 2 of 4 filled for stream 28
Buffering 3 of 4 filled for stream 28
Buffering 4 of 4 filled for stream 28
Audio playback started for stream 28
AudioPlayback end, close stream for id 28.
   Result = kPlaybackStopped (1)
Player: Workaround encountered, trying to stop player.
poping song 7968
Popped song Two Boys And A Girl from queue
Now Playing: /mnt/smb/roc/music_flac/Charlie Chan/Me Myself I/13 - Charlie Chan
- Me Myself I - Two Boys And A Girl.flac
Song duration: 104346
Player: Queuing stream of type FLAC (16846536)
Getting JPEG album cover /mnt/smb/roc/music_flac/Charlie Chan/Me Myself I/cover.
jpg
DispatchSend(pid 3746, command 0) ERROR: s_pGFXMessageQueue in use by client 344
Buffering 0 of 4 filled for stream 29
Buffering 1 of 4 filled for stream 29
Buffering 2 of 4 filled for stream 29
Buffering 3 of 4 filled for stream 29
Buffering 4 of 4 filled for stream 29
Audio playback started for stream 29
AudioPlayback end, close stream for id 29.
   Result = kNormalCompletion (0)
Player: Workaround encountered, trying to stop player.
poping song 4060
Popped song Honeymoon Blues from queue
Now Playing: /mnt/smb/roc/music_flac/Robert Johnson/The Complete Recordings (Dis
c 2)/17 - Robert Johnson - The Complete Recordings (Disc 2) - Honeymoon Blues.fl
ac
Song duration: 138800
Getting JPEG album cover /mnt/smb/roc/music_flac/Robert Johnson/The Complete Rec
ordings (Disc 2)/cover.jpg
DispatchSend(pid 3746, command 0) ERROR: s_pGFXMessageQueue in use by client 344

*** Semaphore create error 5 ***
AudioPlayback end, close stream for id 30.
   Result = kErrorDeviceUnavailable (15)
poping song 6651
Popped song The Calling (Featuring Eric Clapton) from queue
Now Playing: /mnt/smb/roc/music_flac/Santana/Supernatural/13 - Santana - Superna
tural - The Calling (Featuring Eric Clapton).flac
Song duration: 747626
Getting JPEG album cover /mnt/smb/roc/music_flac/Santana/Supernatural/cover.jpg

Looks like a problem with the album cover. Any ideas?

I didn't get the jumping this time.

soiaf

Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:57 am

improv wrote:

Looks like a problem with the album cover. Any ideas?

I didn't get the jumping this time.

Ah well, at least the audio is ok :wink:

Hmm, thats certainly some interesting looking debug/error messages you're seeing. Nothing immediately springs to mind, I'll try to have a look at the code over the weekend, but it may need Bob to properly diagnose it.

improv

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:13 am

soiaf wrote:
Ah well, at least the audio is ok :wink:

Hmm, thats certainly some interesting looking debug/error messages you're seeing. Nothing immediately springs to mind, I'll try to have a look at the code over the weekend, but it may need Bob to properly diagnose it.

Thanks soiaf:!:

Trust me to always have the interesting problems.... :lol:

It seems that if I leave the box running (for hours) ... no problems. It seems to happen intermittently when I hit the next button ...

The problem is not consistent and doesn't appear to repeat for a for a particluar song / album cover.

soiaf

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:21 am

improv wrote:
Trust me to always have the interesting problems.... :lol:

Its always a worrying sign when a techie (or worse, a doctor) describes your problem as being 'interesting'. :lol:

mlknez

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:36 pm

Is anyone else having a problem with the labels not showing up on the option button when running sonata and the listed options have no labels also?

RokuPatrick

Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:45 pm

mlknez wrote:
Is anyone else having a problem with the labels not showing up on the option button when running sonata and the listed options have no labels also?

RokuDon wrote:
**NOTE** If you do the network upgrade you will need to reset to factory defaults (press Setup/System Information/Factory Reset) in order to see the user interface strings in the Music Player application.

improv

Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:14 pm

soiaf wrote:
improv wrote:
Luckily I have a micro atx power supply which is now filling in.

I imagine there will be a few people interested to read that. Was it a straight replacement or was there any rewiring involved.

Well the Roku has been up and running happily for a few days now with its new PSU. What I have noticed is an improvement in the range of the remote - specifically the angles I can point the remote. For reference I use a SONY Remote Commander NOT the original remote.

I wonder if it has to do with the increased current draw from the PSU??

mlknez

Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:10 pm

I did not know that the upgrade from the built-in menu was considered a "network" upgrade. I thought that a network upgrade was using a firmware through a mapped network drive. Sorry.

pg_rider

Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:53 am

soiaf wrote:
dgburns wrote:
Anybody know if I upgrade via the "built-in" upgrade method, will that wipe out my static IP setup and NFS mounts I hacked in?

You'll definitely lose your static IP address after a factory reset (not sure about after the upgrade step itself).

Can you tell me what that will mean exactly? When I lose my static IP address, will the Roku automatically get another one? Will I need to go into my router or telnet into the Roku to do anything?

Reason I ask is that when I first bought my HD I had a flower of a time getting it to connect to my network. Luckily my wife is a bit of a computer nerd and was able to get it connected, but I'm worried that if I "drop" the connection it won't come back!

dgburns

Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:20 am

pg_rider wrote:
soiaf wrote:
dgburns wrote:
Anybody know if I upgrade via the "built-in" upgrade method, will that wipe out my static IP setup and NFS mounts I hacked in?

You'll definitely lose your static IP address after a factory reset (not sure about after the upgrade step itself).

Can you tell me what that will mean exactly? When I lose my static IP address, will the Roku automatically get another one? Will I need to go into my router or telnet into the Roku to do anything?

Reason I ask is that when I first bought my HD I had a flower of a time getting it to connect to my network. Luckily my wife is a bit of a computer nerd and was able to get it connected, but I'm worried that if I "drop" the connection it won't come back!

The way I read it is if your LAN setup wasn't working with the Roku getting a DHCP IP address before, and your wife had to set your Roku to use Static IP, when you upgrade to .35 your wife would have to do that again. Now, if your Roku isn't for some reason able to get a DHCP IP, I'm not sure how you would telnet in to set it up for static? I'm using static myself only because I wanted to, DHCP worked but I wanted it static for various esoteric reasons.
HD-1500 RevB #1 (media room)
Mitsubishi WD-62528 62" LCD RPTV
Kenwood VR-407 receiver w/PSB Alpha's
PS/3 60GB (now 250GB) w/750GB Seagate ext
M1000 (upstairs)
HD-1000 RevB #2 (bedroom)
Visco 32" LCD
AR 2.1 audio system
PS/2

soiaf

Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:30 pm

dgburns wrote:
The way I read it is if your LAN setup wasn't working with the Roku getting a DHCP IP address before, and your wife had to set your Roku to use Static IP, when you upgrade to .35 your wife would have to do that again. Now, if your Roku isn't for some reason able to get a DHCP IP, I'm not sure how you would telnet in to set it up for static? I'm using static myself only because I wanted to, DHCP worked but I wanted it static for various esoteric reasons.

If you don't have a DHCP server then its definitely trickier to setup a static IP address, I can think of two ways though:
1) Talk to the Roku via a serial cable
2) Write a small shell script (hardcoded with the values you want to set your static IP address to), put it on a compact flash card, and call it from the desktop.

I wouldn't consider either of these as being 'trivial' (though I could help with the 2nd solution).

If you do have a DHCP server then its certainly easier, you'd get an address, telnet in and then vi (edit) the necessary file. I wrote a shell script that makes that process easier though (no need to use vi).
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2837

(a few postings down this thread).

jmsaul

Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:09 am

I'm having a problem with this release where, all of a sudden, none of the built-in or third-party apps will run, and eventually all of the third-party app icons change to the default icon (it isn't seeing their icon files).

I'm not sure what triggers it, but it's happened both times I've used the new beta release.